Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

I had another go at imaging the shrinking Mars, this time without and with a x2 Barlow lens.  The results are better with the Barlow, which is what one is led to expect.   For whatever reason (probably bad seeing and/or low planets) when I tried a Barlow previously it just made the blur bigger.  Equipment: C8 SE, ASI120MC, x2 Skywatcher kit Barlow element screwed directly into 1.25" barrel of the ZWO camera.   This does seem to give x2 in practice.  I did not use an ADC on the grounds that I shouldn't need one with Mars at an altitude of over 40 degrees.

3000 image video captured with Sharpcap. Processed in Registax6.  I found that the Sharpcap exposure histogram did not appear to work on such a small image, so had to estimate the exposure.   Yes, optical ADC correction would be better, but the dispersion seemed very small.  Blowing up the image x2 in Registax showed a small colour fringe, which I took out with a single point of correction.

The images show some surface detail though the contrast is low (if you are using a flatscreen try viewing from below: ?)  Mare Sirenum, with Mare Acidalium just discernible foreshortened at upper right. 

MarsZ17Jan18_11_39.jpg

Mars17Jan17_53_33.jpg

• Like 8

Way better than what I've been getting Geoff, well done :) 

Edited by Lockie

Nice job, Geoff. I keep saying I'm going to rest from imaging Mars but the shrinking red planet is an irresistible target so present in the southern sky, lol!

Reggie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Here is a EEVA-style image of Neptune and apparently its largest moon, Triton. I had been trying to image planetary nebulae before aiming the gear at Neptune, and noticed a faint smudge below the severely over-exposed planet. It was possibly easier to see at the time than on the processed image attached (between planet and arrow).  It seems to match the position given by Sky & telescope's Triton Tracker.
      At around mag 13.5, Triton would normally be beyond the reach of a C8 used visually even in ideal conditions.
      Image is inverted, taken 12Aug at 22.40 UT.  CPC800,ASI224MC, flip mirror. Gibbous moon.

• By Greg6498
      After receiving great advice from this group, I decided to purchase this TeleVue 2x Barlow! It's going on my Skywatcher Evostar Pro 80mm. I have an ES 6.7 eyepiece I want to use with it. Can’t wait to give it a go!

• By Cosmic Geoff
      An image of Jupiter taken late evening, 27 June.  Not as good as some other people's efforts, but one of my best Jupiter images this year. The planet was low (around 15 deg) and the seeing was not great. CPC800, ASI224MC, ADC, captured in Sharpcap, processed in Registax6.
      Best 20% of 5000 frames IIRC.  One of the images here is a random raw frame, to show what I had to work with. Io should be visible on left in the processed image.

• By Cosmic Geoff
      An image of Jupiter taken early morning, 16 June.  Not as good as some other people's efforts, but the planet was low (around 15 deg) and the seeing was not great. CPC800, ASI224MC, ADC, captured in Sharpcap, processed in Registax6.
      Best 15% of 7000 frames IIRC.  One of the images here is a random raw frame, to show what I had to work with. Ganymede should be visible on left in the processed image. GRS coming into view on left.

• By hennyvenom
      Hello everyone, I've got a question.
      I want to upgrade the visual back on the Mak 127. The standard back on the Mak is not pleasant to work with as seen in the image. I need to get rid of this plastic thing. I purchased a mak to sct adapter when I bought the scope, I never got around to doing anything until now as I've just acquired a Baader 2.25x barlow as shown in the image.
      Now, I've had a go of attaching the the Baader Barlow into the original plastic thing on the mak, it works .... but I'm not happy with the connection being made with the two locking screws, as there is still movement when the barlow, t-ring and Canon DSLR are all in the train.
      I've been having a look on FLO for some work around, does anyone have some input as to whether this will work.
      Mak to sct adapter-> Baader 2 inch to 1.25 reducer adapter->Baader 2.25x barlow + T ring & DSLR
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-to-125-reducer-adapter.html
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/BaaderT2ext-1508153.html
      Any input or a better way of securing everything is greatly appreciated!😊

Another option I've come across is this , Baader ClickLock 2"-1.25" Adapter  and Baader T2 Extension Tube to bring it to 40mm when attached to the mak to sct adapter. Anyone have any experience with this? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.