Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When you dislike electronics...

emadmoussa

Who would've thought?! Only four years ago I wrote several programming languages, loved fiddling with computers, loved fixing electronics  (usually making them worse.);) Nowadays, not sure whether because I'm getting older or simply because I was never 'electronically inclined' in the first place, my patience for fiddling with electronics is running really thin. I can still fiddle, I just have zero interest in doing that.

This applies to the GoTo systems. I understand some people love them, but the more I used them, the less interested I become. Last night I spent 15-20 minutes just getting the mount to align properly. In the end, I just thought...Oh, sod it, I'll just push and use the hand controller to stay on target. While I love the LX90's optics, I can't say I'm in love with the electronics. This is perhaps why I don't see myself getting into astrophotography without an obsy. Plug, unplug...align, find in the socket in the dark...blah-blah. I feel the more wires you've got, the less rewarding the experience becomes. I appreciate this could be personal, but that's just me. 

I can see myself deforking the LX90 and putting it on a manual mount. This also shows a manual Dob is due; I'll just keep the LX90 set-up for planetary imaging (when the time comes, if I can be bothered, that is). 

image.png.c4ecc5bf8e38dd6cd6861f8a934e22fd.png

Funny old world Emad.
I bounce back and forth on electronics in my Astronomy, hence my signature.
Really enjoy looking at things I have found, not been found for me by electronics, 
however the finding yourself wears thin on bad nights and I hanker for a go-to.

I went back and forth over getting a go to or a dob when I got into this. Some nights I do wish I had the GOTO stuff...but mostly it's a lot of fun to push the big dob around and find stuff by hopping around. I will say that it is extremely frustrating when you want to show somebody a planet and you have to tell them to hurry up and look before it falls out of the EP!

I don't mind electronic devices but my days of "hands on" electronics ended after I did some work on circuit board populated with tiny Surface Mound Devices. I thought I was done until I looked at the tip of the soldering iron and what I thought was flux debris turned out to be a capacitor :(

I rarely pick up a soldering iron now. 

On 09/01/2019 at 14:15, emadmoussa said:

I have sadly accepted that stringing together modules is generally more effective, quick and reliable than designing and building my own stuff  - mostly!

That said I'm going to defy my own logic and build a nice solid state stereo amp soon, I'm amassing bits. Not too powerful, but decent quality.

On 09/01/2019 at 14:15, emadmoussa said:

image.png.c4ecc5bf8e38dd6cd6861f8a934e22fd.png

And what configuration of scope would that be? ?

A Meade LX90 ringed, and mounted on a SW EQ 8 would serve well. Which mount would depend upon it being the 12", or the 8" OTA.  Not a cheap option I know, but  many have taken that route.

I considered the EQ option just prior to selling my 12" LX 90. It  was the Alt Az  mount that made up the unit when I bought it, then I bought a Heavy Duty Wedge off a guy in the US. Cost a mint too. I had read, and heard of differing opinions regarding the Wedge being a suitable addition for accurate guiding. Try as I did, I couldn't figure out why a suitably polar aligned Wedged mount should have any problems guiding.  I saw some great images produced on the the Meade forum captured by both methods.  

I had some great observing sessions with that  scope, but never got around to guided imagery with it unfortunately.

Regarding your  struggle with your electronics, you seem to be a trained operator in that field,  so from that point of view, the skills will not desert you. The will to carry on will be fluid, so when and If you need to dig out your soldering station again, you won't need to ponder too much, you'll get on with it in auto mode ?.

You're just experiencing little doubts, but not life changing, all will smooth out again in time.

I got my first GOTO about 3 months ago and 3 or even 2 star alignment started to become a chore. Once set up its great, getting the mount to slew to targets at the touch of a few buttons but once the novelty wore off it just made me feel a bit empty inside.Then on Monday evening I started swinging  the scope around and  star hopping again the fun is back.

Its nice to know the GOTO is there should I need it but I don't think I'll use it much. 

Archived