Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone using an OGEM mount??

Skipper Billy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like an interesting piece of kit and JTW know their onions. There's a lot of tailoring available too. Bear in mind that the base price is for servo motors, not steppers and carbon steel wheels. Being a friction drive and an item that's exposed to damp atmospheres I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable not opting for the stainless steel wheels. By the time you add the costs for stainless wheels and servos are you are more expensive than a Mesu 200.

I'm basing that on the post in CN https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/612391-open-source-gem-from-jtw/?p=8599077

€3900+600+500 for the mount, stainless wheels and absolute encoders (which the Mesu doesn't have). The person didn't mention upgrading the motors so I'm assuming he is retaining the servos.

Other's mileage may vary, but personally I think being an early adopter can sometimes lead to frustrations. Astro mounts at this price level are a low-volume item. You are likely to end up as a beta tester.

Life's too short for that unless you are into that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

It looks like an interesting piece of kit and JTW know their onions. There's a lot of tailoring available too. Bear in mind that the base price is for servo motors, not steppers and carbon steel wheels. Being a friction drive and an item that's exposed to damp atmospheres I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable not opting for the stainless steel wheels. By the time you add the costs for stainless wheels and servos are you are more expensive than a Mesu 200.

I'm basing that on the post in CN https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/612391-open-source-gem-from-jtw/?p=8599077

€3900+600+500 for the mount, stainless wheels and absolute encoders (which the Mesu doesn't have). The person didn't mention upgrading the motors so I'm assuming he is retaining the servos.

Carbon steel wheels, won't they be very prone to rust, traditionally worm wheels were made of brass, or (better still) phosphor bronze.

John

From what I understand the release has been delayed a couple of times, and it was due to be released around this time.  Not sure I'd want to try it over a Mesu, but with the same controller as the Mesu the risk is reduced I guess.

58 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Carbon steel wheels, won't they be very prone to rust, traditionally worm wheels were made of brass, or (better still) phosphor bronze.

John

Yep. Stainless is an upgrade option.
I wouldn't fancy a friction drive with carbon steel wheels. A spot of surface rust between the wheel and drive roller might cause all sorts of issues. OK if you live in Nevada. Less so if you live in Lancashire!

7 minutes ago, RayD said:

Not sure I'd want to try it over a Mesu, but with the same controller as the Mesu the risk is reduced I guess.

Its a different controller than the Mesu.  The Mesu uses a Sidereal Technology SiTech controller, the OGEM uses FreeGo2 (a freeware program)

2 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

Its a different controller than the Mesu.  The Mesu uses a Sidereal Technology SiTech controller, the OGEM uses FreeGo2 (a freeware program)

Ah ok, thanks.  I thought JTW used Sitech II, but looks like they are using something else on this.  Hmmmmmm similar cost to Muse200 then?  Can't see what the benefit would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave told me a few months ago that he was going to be retailing them, however I am aware of another company that also claims to be doing the same and that the current design is being pulled and redeveloped.

I'm just glad I never waited for one and went for the iOptron instead, which is giving me a guiding of around 0.2 RMS.

The OGEM Looks nice but it's no good if they can't even reply to emails or put a product to market.

I ordered one of these mounts as an early bird. I have not received it yet, and communication on progress is bad. The last update was that they are almost ready for shipping, but that was over two weeks ago (December 4). I've not been successful in my attempts to reach out to them, so I don't know what the hold-up is.

I currently consider this vaporware and have to recommend holding off on purchasing one until reports from satisfied users (such as hopefully myself!) start appearing on the message boards.

Hi japz,

If jkulin is correct and it's been pulled due a design flaws and needs to be redesigned, then it could be months before you get to see it.  I have to say, if i were in your shoes i would be quite worried right about now 

It's not good if mark is not keeping his customers informed, that's usually not a good sign. Let's hope were all wrong jtw astro will give everyone a nice xmas surprise with a solid concrete update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and I'm French (sorry?).
I do not write English, put Google Translate will do it for me!
I also ordered an OGEM mount knowingly and I wanted to intervene. A new product never arrives on the market as we would like.Mark of JTW Astronomy kept us informed with its "OGEM Update" and the last is dated December 28. Yes it has problems of delay but these problems are not due to the mount itself, it is dependent on the German team which deals with the design of the electronics (FreeGo2). Moreover,If the electronics was not finalized by the end of January, the mount's delivery date, Mark will offer the SiTech controller option.
As for carbon steel discs, it must be said that it is carbon steel of high quality, says aviation.
Some people already bury a product that is not out yet ... it's sad.
And I have total confidence in Mark.
Best regards
Alain

I have a friend who ordered an Unistellar eVscope as an early bird in October 2017. It should have been received in November, but it will not be delivered until early 2019 .... Any new project encounters delays.

You have to be patient. When you buy as an early bird, you buy with full knowledge of the facts. Mark, since April, sent 18 "OGEM Update"  et un "Final Update" to inform us. He kept us informed of the various problems he encountered, a rare thing, it must be pointed out and I find the words of Japz innacceptable.

Is not patience one of the qualities of an astronomer?

1 hour ago, dahle said:

Is not patience one of the qualities of an astronomer?

Is not bothering to reply to emails or contact via their FB page rudeness and bad manners though?

If they can't get the fundamentals rights what hope do they have when one has parted with their hard earned money?

Dahle,

With all due respect, japz is entitled to express his views and opinions If he had poor communication from JTW.

On the flipside, I'm confident that everyone's money is safe, just wish JTW would quit with the freego system and just go with the tried and tested Sitech system.

Rich.

17 hours ago, dahle said:

As for carbon steel discs, it must be said that it is carbon steel of high quality, 

Carbon steel is carbon steel. Unprotected it will start to rust immediately. I don't see how any surface protection can be applied to contacting surfaces unless you want to grease it every time it's used. 

I understand the reaction of Japz, but he must understand that he is part of the early birds, and as such, he takes some risks. You can not have the butter and the cake. 2900 € for early birds, even adding the price of stainless steel discs, we come at the price of an EQ8, it's still worth it!!

It is also true that sometimes Mark does not respond to emails; just send it back to get the answer....simply.

Come on, Japz, more than a few weeks to wait, and after that will be only a bad memory .... and that happiness after!?

In the meantime, I will prepare for the New Year's Eve.
See you next year and Happy New Year, good health and clear skies for 2019 :hello:
Alain

On 31/12/2018 at 12:04, Dave Lloyd said:

Carbon steel is carbon steel. Unprotected it will start to rust immediately. I don't see how any surface protection can be applied to contacting surfaces unless you want to grease it every time it's used. 

I'm not sure that i'd want grease anywhere near a friction drive! Also any dust or contaminates would rapidly turn into a grinding paste.

23 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

I'm not sure that i'd want grease anywhere near a friction drive! Also any dust or contaminates would rapidly turn into a grinding paste.

I thought it was necessary to keep worm wheels regularly greased

John

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

I thought it was necessary to keep worm wheels regularly greased

John

A friction drive doesn't have any worms or gears.....it's one of the systems big advantages as it gives massive stiffness and no backlash. It relies on having very hard materials as the mating surfaces.

http://www.dfmengineering.com/news_telescope_gearing.html#friction

Archived