Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone using an OGEM mount??

Skipper Billy

3 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

The price of the mount and all the accessories are here - https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/mounts/mesu-optics-mounts/mesu-mount-200/

It was delivered personally by Bernard (modern Astronomy) 4pm yesterday afternoon and by 7pm was all set up and working beautifully. Its a work of art.

Congratulations on your purchase! A functional piece of art. It’s on my radar now. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/01/2019 at 20:52, Northernlight said:

One other thing that was mentioned was that he is looking to retrofit the FreeGo system to other mounts and said that he had successfully retrofitted the freego & absolute encoders to a meade mount.

As much as it's an interesting development, it feels like he is getting sidetracked instead of focusing his efforts on the Ogem and building customers mounts.

There might be valid reason for this, e.g. Filling in time whilst the FreeGo people sort their system out, but it does make wonder why he is not 100% focused on getting the Ogem mounts built.

Sorry, but it's not Mark from JTW Astronomy who did these tests with a Meade mount but the FreeGo2 team, so there is no connection.

For the video, Mark of JTW Astronomy wanted to do it at home after his work, to show the early birds its operation and the FreeGo2, not being in his case, he did not want to show (circuit board and cables apparent electrics, which was not very "aesthetic".

As for the sound of motors, let me laugh.We do not judge a motor on its noise (listen to the sound of a motorcycle Harley and that of a Kawazaki), especially when the motor runs at full power).

For the price: MESU 200 with 20kgs counterweight: 6230 + 260 = 6490 € OGEM with counterweight (30kgs), stainless steel discs and absolute encoders: 3990 + 500 + 600 = 5090 € is 1400 € difference.

Now I do not understand how to criticize a mount that is not yet used. Let the future owners have the time to do the tests. There, it will be possible to say what is right and what is wrong and to make a comparison for those who want it.

This OGEM mount, I'm sure will be a good mount ... just like the MESU 200 that I will not criticize in any way.

Recall the subject of the discussion: Anyone using an OGEM mount??

Clear skies

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

A functional piece of art.

That it is.  I like that description :thumbright:

I certainly never tire of looking at mine (albeit that's all I have been able to do with it for what seems an eternity).

Dahle,

I can send the screen print from my chat with Mark, and he was very explicit  that "He" has been working on the Meade mount.  

You seem to think that we are attacking JTW but this is not the case. People are just having an open discussion about the information we have at hand.  The way you defend JTW with such Vigor, one might think you are in some way affiliated with JTW ?

In regards to your motorbike noise comments, they made me laugh also.  Usually most people who ride such big noisy bikes find them to be acoustically pleasing as they are supposed to be that way.  In regards to Motors on mounts, i'm pretty such most people prefer them to be as quiet as possible, probably so that they don't disturb neighbours in the dead of night.

Not sure my neighbours would appreciate something that sounded like an old knackered drill at 1am in the morning.

23 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

The way you defend JTW with such Vigor, one might think you are in some way affiliated with JTW?

The way you defend MESU with such Vigor, one might think you are in some way affiliated with Bernard ?

I have no connection with JTW.

I will have defended Lucas Mesu for his Mesu 200 as well.

I simply defend the craftsmen who try to help amateur arstronomers by offering them good value mounts, just like the French craftsman a few years ago with the Trassud.

The comparison with motorcycle engines being a joke.

37 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

Not sure my neighbours would appreciate something that sounded like an old knackered drill at 1am in the morning

The comparison makes me laugh too, or your neighbors sleep under the dome.?
Well, I stop my stupidities and I go out.

Without hardfelling,  let's be cool?

3 minutes ago, Northernlight said:

Ray i think you have a fair point. I think we've done this one to death and seeing that billy is now the proud owner of a Mesu then there's not much point continuing as I'm sure someone will start a post in 2020 when they receive their Ogem mount ?

I was thinking about this earlier when David noted he had now got his Mesu, and thought a better comparison mount to the OGEM is probably an EQ8.  In terms of comparison, looks is about the only thing this mount has in common with the Mesu 200.  It has far more in common with the EQ8 in terms of cost, projected performance and load etc. so would probably be better compared to that.

Whilst I do own a Mesu 200, I certainly have no allegiance to Bernard (although I have met him and do think he is a thoroughly nice chap), and I genuinely hope the OGEM and JTW becomes a success.  However, the visual similarities really is where the comparison between the mounts ends.

It's actually been a good thread, I've enjoyed it, and seeing that video of the Kawazaki..........Harley..........OGEM was enlightening for sure ?

Skipper Billy,

I am sorry for the excesses that took this discussion.

As you can see, the OGEM was not available at the time of your choice. You have chosen the Mesu 200 and it is a very good choice compared to the mounts currently on the market. I wish you great moments of pleasure.

Alain

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:46, Northernlight said:

Ouch, never watched it with the sound on........That sounds bloody awful..... Those motors are so noisy and sound like they are straining without even any scopes on.......

Only 1 thing to say.........  Mesu 200 lol

To be fair it looks fairly imbalanced and probably is straining because you have what appear to be a heavy axis at the top with nothing as a counterweight underneath.  So it might be already straining under a load. It might have been better to put counterweights on to be in balance.

But I've definitely heard worse (e.g. the old celestron CG5!)

1 hour ago, dahle said:

Skipper Billy,

I am sorry for the excesses that took this discussion.

As you can see, the OGEM was not available at the time of your choice. You have chosen the Mesu 200 and it is a very good choice compared to the mounts currently on the market. I wish you great moments of pleasure.

Alain

No need to be sorry but I appreciate your comment - I had pretty much decided on a Mesu but then saw the  info about the OGEM and to be honest it sounded like a contender hence my question. I have heard many happy stories about the Mesu and wanted to gather real world info about the OGEM. Clearly there isn't any. So I ordered the Mesu.

I think the thread has run its course. I am sure that once people have the OGEM's there will be plenty of reviews. Maybe this thread should be locked now.

• Steve locked this topic

Archived