Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC1333

alan4908

My first attempt at NGC1333, which is a reflection nebula in the constellation Perseus.

There's quite a lot going on in the LRGB image below which represents just over 14 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150: a blue reflection nebula, dark dusty lanes and intense areas of star formation. These latter regions contain an impressive collection of Herbig Haro objects which are formed when narrow bands of very rapidly moving partially ionized gas, ejected by the proto stars, collide with by nearby gas and dust. 

I decided to run my customized Pixinsight annotation script over the image which revealed that it contains over 20 HH objects, given that about 500 have been discovered, this seemed quite a catch !

Alan

LIGHTS: L: 38, R:15, G:15, B: 19 x 600s, FLATS:40, BIAS:100, DARKS:30 all at -20C. 

1555097648_10.Final.thumb.jpg.67e794271d8da4b789d5b1ff7c1b5e4b.jpg

97338489_11.Finalannotated.thumb.jpg.b75e4e7b804b9fb7d2cdf83fd885006b.jpg

17 hours ago, moise212 said:

Beautiful!

Thanks Alex. :hello:

17 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

What a cracking image! Nice one mate

Thanks  - yes, I was quite happy how this came out.

16 hours ago, Filroden said:

I can almost see the stars forming! Love it.

Many thanks Ken. Yep lot's of star formation here ! :happy11:

16 hours ago, carastro said:

Great image Alan.

Thanks Carole.

21 hours ago, David_L said:

That is really stunning, the blue is perfectly processed - way to go ?

David

Thanks - I do like a bit of blue in my astro pics. At the moment I'm (very slowly) moving from PS to Pixinsight in my processing. 

14 hours ago, Spaceade said:

Nice Alan,

Had to google what a HH object was...learn something new every day. Yet another interesting object to image ?

Yes - interesting objects - I was wondering what they would look like when imaged with my 3nm Ha filter.

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Great (and difficult) target done really well. Bravo.

Olly

Thanks Olly !

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

That is exceptionally nice. Thanks for sharing. 

Most kind. :happy11:

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Agree with all of the above. Looks like there's a fire raging in the centre.

Yes, I do like the extreme colour contrasts contained in this object which I've attempted to extract :hello:  

5 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Yes - interesting objects - I was wondering what they would look like when imaged with my 3nm Ha filter.

I had a thought along similar lines...although involving an IR-pass Filter (like the ones typically used on Mars) to try and penetrate that dust.

A great image Alan, congratulations! I assume the data was not collected under the present full moon. Some mentioned in this thread the possiility of imaging this one in Ha. I actually was very close to do that this weekend but decided against it since I could not find any trace on the net of anyone ever having done it and deduced that is was probably a poor Ha object, but maybe not?

18 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Fascintaing details you have revealed deep in the nebula Alan - top notch!

This is a terribly difficult target to present and frame and you have accomplished both with aplomb. Congratulations.

Thanks Barry :happy11:

14 hours ago, gorann said:

A great image Alan, congratulations! I assume the data was not collected under the present full moon. Some mentioned in this thread the possiility of imaging this one in Ha. I actually was very close to do that this weekend but decided against it since I could not find any trace on the net of anyone ever having done it and deduced that is was probably a poor Ha object, but maybe not?

Hi Gorann

Thanks for your kind comment. 

I  do image when the moon is up but I rely on ACP (which controls my telescope and observatory) to work out whether the object is too close (from an angular sense) to the moon or not.  ACP implements an algorithm that was developed at the University of California, Berkeley, robotic imaging department - this takes into consideration the filter type, moon phase and angular distance from the moon.  The aim of the algorithm is to maximize imaging time but not to degrade quality. 

I also use a program called CCDNavigator to plan my sessions. This implements the same moon avoidance algorithm as ACP, so if you don't have ACP and simply want to know if it's OK to image a particular object or not - this program will tell you. You can download it for a trial period. More info about it is here:    http://www.ccdware.com/products/ccdn3/

In terms of the objects suitability to image in Ha - I suspect that a Ha contribution would slightly enhance the HH regions. The only thing that I could find that revealed much more detail was an image from Steve Cannistra where he overlayed his image with that of an IR image from the Spitzer space telescope - see: http://www.starrywonders.com/ngc1333cm10.html

Alan

Archived