NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altaire Astro 70mm star wave

1 minute ago, djpaul said:

Anyone here know much about the build quality of the Altaire Astro 70 starwave scope?

Paul

Not sure on this specific scope, but generally the Altair kit is pretty well made and good value for money.

I can't tell from the description if it is more similar to the older 72ED scopes like mine with FPL-51 glass and a smooth rack focuser or the newer 72ED scopes with FPL-53 glass and the geared rack.  For the money they're asking, it had better be the latter.  The older 72ED scopes are going for about 65% of the cost of the newer 72ED scopes.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Anne S said:

Are you asking about the 70ed travel refractor or the 70edt-r travel refractor? I've got the latter which has sfpl53  glass. 

Its a nice widefield scope.  It's solid and has a nice long dewshield. 

That one looks nice, but ouch!, the price.  I wonder if the triplet SFPL-53 version is really worth the extra $210 over the FPL-53 doublet TS-72ED for visual work.  Did you compare the two before settling on the more expensive option?

I image so colour correction is important to me. Particularly as my travelling camera is a colour one. I owned a William Optics Zenithstar some years ago. It focused blue at a different point to red and green. I went with the 70mm triplet as they are more suited to imaging.

However I bought a Altair Astro 60 EDF earlier this year. It came with a printout showing colour correction and flatness. It's also got SFPL53 even though it's a doublet. I've used it with my OSC camera and colour correction is fine. (My 70mm will be in my observatory at home as part of a dual scope setup so I needed a new travelling scope!). It's a lovely little scope and fits in an old camera bag in its protective polystyrene. Have you had a look at that as it's the same price as the cheaper 70mm but has the same focuser as my 70mm triplet. It's got pretty red bits on too!

31 minutes ago, Anne S said:

I image so colour correction is important to me. Particularly as my travelling camera is a colour one. I owned a William Optics Zenithstar some years ago. It focused blue at a different point to red and green. I went with the 70mm triplet as they are more suited to imaging.

However I bought a Altair Astro 60 EDF earlier this year. It came with a printout showing colour correction and flatness. It's also got SFPL53 even though it's a doublet. I've used it with my OSC camera and colour correction is fine. (My 70mm will be in my observatory at home as part of a dual scope setup so I needed a new travelling scope!). It's a lovely little scope and fits in an old camera bag in its protective polystyrene. Have you had a look at that as it's the same price as the cheaper 70mm but has the same focuser as my 70mm triplet. It's got pretty red bits on too!

Understood.  I totally get where you're coming from with regards to focusing all colors at the same distance.  I'm more interested in how tight the airy disk remains at very high powers while at best focus.  I suppose the two are related.  Great, now I have another upgrade option from my FPL-51 72ED to ponder over. ?

Hi all

I have the chance of buying a Skywatcher equinox 80ed

been sent pics before i buy and notice there are marks on both sides of the focuser.

what would have caused this 

Please let me know your thoughts before i buy it

Other than these marks the pics of the scope look to be in perfect condition.

DSC_5796.JPG

On 09/11/2018 at 18:58, djpaul said:

Anyone here know much about the build quality of the Altaire Astro 70 starwave scope?

Paul

I have the previous version that came in the flight case. Very well made, great views. Lightweight and airline (TUI) friendly.  Took it and put to good use in Thassos and one evening at Seething. It will be coming to Santorini in May.

The aluminium case it came in, less so: the handle came away exposing a sharp point on the train to Gatwick...the inner polystyrene tray fitted in a Samsonite backpack.  To be fair, Altair do say that their cases are “packaging” which is BS, but the scope is great.

Chris

I have the AA Starwave ED70 and love it. The optics are great, view is very wide and the fit & finish is second to none. It also loves an ED barlow for pushing the mag's for planet observing, and will also be a good start point for imaging (should you want to start down that road).

As has been said. the marks are the bearings in the craford focuser. My guess is either its had a heay payload off the back of, or over tightening with the locker while racked in/out. Mine has extremely light marks.

Its a great scope all in all

Best Rob

Archived