Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do I get Christmas.

des anderson

Hi. Guy`s Christmas is coming, and I wondered if you could give me some ideas what to get......

There`s a few things that I do not need, telescopes, eyepieces, mount, Iv just upgraded my ccd camera, laptop,[My wife got me these for my birthday] I was thinking of dew control. There is a budget £500

The kit, which I use all the time is a 9.25sct, Baader steeltrack focuser, on a AVX mount a full set of Baader eyepieces,Filters and more filters, Zwo224 camera[usb3 laptop] 2 bins 16x70 & 8x40, A couple of 2" low power eyepices 31mm & 36mm. 

I know that presents are a personal thing, but any ideas would be welcome.

Des

Any other hobbies, as you seem to be well equipped already?

Because I  seem to have everything at present! Ive been investing in some Roland and Korg gear, resulting in the full set of Korg Volca's, and selling off  the Roland Boutique.
Although not directly related to astronomy, I could, if I wanted, produce some  interesting sounds,  inspired by what I've observed, but I doubt it would be as good as the Planets by Holst.

36 minutes ago, des anderson said:

There`s a few things that I do not need,

By the years, I came to realise that the best gifts are the ones we don't really need, because we can't justify to ourselves to buy something "unnecessary". But a gift, however surplus to our needs, always brings joy... So how about a small apo for grab 'n go?

On 06/11/2018 at 23:55, Hawksmoor said:

Nice pair of binoculars. Always a useful gift day or night..

A pair of Image Stabilised binoculars - Canon make optically very good ones, and the IS makes them far more effective for Astro use than you would expect. 

Here's Steve Tonkin's review of the 12x36 IS for S@N magazine

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/binoculars/canon-12x36-iii-binoculars-0

Jessops seem to be selling these at about £530 so aren't too far outside your pricepoint. I have the 10x30s which they are selling for about £440. Mrs G has observed Neptune using these. 

Archived