Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APT Plate solving problem with PS2

Grierson

Carole, have you tried Solve or Blind on an image? The UCACS and APM directories are for the PlateSolve2 routine. For this to work, the image needs to be close to your intended target

Just to clarify, I am using an Ha image of M78 and selecting M78 as the object, don;t think I can get closer than that. 

Have tried both Solve and blind solve still getting the same error message, yet APT "voice" tells me it has been plate solved LOL

Carole 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you set the correct focal length and camera in the tools menu in APT? Can you post screen shots of your settings? As I've said before, I think you have installed the APM and UCAC directories correctly but I have also found the Solve function to be a bit hit and miss. The Blind function uses a different program independent of the APM and UCAC directories. As above, it uses the program Platesolver and this takes setting up as well but I've found it more reliable and you don't need to select a target.

On 02/01/2019 at 18:11, carastro said:

I have't set any parameters up but they look the same as yours anyway.

I changed it to APM from UCAC3 and APT is still saying the same.

Here is my settings screen shot in APT

Carole 

APT settings.jpg

hi Carole, 

only thing different here is the all sky plate solver directory, mine is under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PlateSolver"

another thing, can you please post a screenshot of your all sky plate solver indexes? open the program and select the indexes menu and select index installation wizard. In mine i have installed the indexes for my 130pds and a 135mm lens. if all is configured correctly you can test with the stand alone program so we can check if the error is within the apt settings or asps itself.  to test it, you go under settings, plate solver settings and insert the scope focal length and your camera pixel size. 

here is a screenshot of mine: 

asps.jpg.63e86c1d66abf36bc0261b625ed373ad.jpg

after you enter the focal length and pixel size, you select your image and hit the plate solve button. if it solves, than it is working fine and we can move to the apt configuration. just remember to close it before trying to run inside apt.

hth

I just had someone try to help on Teamviwer but still can't resolve it, but looks like it could possibly be that having tried to do this a few times I have multiple installations which may be confusing the issue.

So currently trying to uninstall and start again from scratch (hopefully with help). 

Carole 

OK, The SGL member and I have spent a good couple of hours on TV and even after uninstalling and re-installing, although we don't get the "can't find APM" message any more, now PS2 just freezes when asked to platesolve.  

I have asked him to get involved in this thread so he can explain and perhaps get further advice.

Carole 

On 02/01/2019 at 20:25, Yoddha said:

Sorry for the spam! :)

I join to Mark's idea. Try to reinstall PS2 and after that select the folder of UCAC3 and leave APM unselected.

Hi guys,

I am the one who tried to help Carole via Team Viewer.

I had some problems with mine PlateSolver on APT previously, so I thought I will manage to sort her problem out, - but... nope... Failed.

I sorted her catalogs and directories correctly and it should work.. However,

PlateSolve2 behaves on her PC quite strange... if you start it from APT, it keeps on freezzing and unfreezing every 5sec, but it actually it tries to work out the result...

It keeps on trying to solve for the period set up in APT (180sec default) and fails.

However,  I made an experiment, - I launched PlateSolve2 directly from it's folder, uploaded the same image and manually entered target position, - image solved in 2 sec, - no freezing, worked flawlessly!!! 

A bit confused...

It looks like APT somehow launches Platelsover incorrectly, she uses APT v3.57 (or 3.56 - I do not recall, but not 3.60 or later as it still has no Auto Meridian Flip).

The "reinstall" Platesolve2 suggestion will not work, as PlateSolve2  is provided .zip'ed, - it has no install routine, and we used a fresh unzipped copy (just in case).

I also tried to make the task for PlateSolver easier, - reduced the accuracy of the result adding 300 even 3000 Maximum error threshold, we entered he location in PS2 settings, - later also un-ticked "Highest Accuracy Plate Solution" option, later reduced Max Stars to 25, - it freezes in the same manner once launched from APT....

P.S.

the option "leave APM unselected." was not tried...

It is the only option I see to test at the moment

I've had similar with different software so not directly related to Carols problem.

Using PinPoint and Maxim they fail to solve but if I start PinPoint on it's own it solves the same image in a few seconds, don't know the cause as it " fixes " itself so may be a Windows thing.

Dave

Quick Update...

"leave APM unselected" - has not solved the problem....
However, in despair, I noticed that sensor size was entered incorrectly into APT, she had Sensor High around 998mm by error, - it probably almost killed PS2 with the calculations involved. 

So I entered 9mm (the guess) and Solver started behaving properly, but still was not able to get the result.

We had no time to find the correct sensor details to continue with the test, - I hope Carole already knows how to sort the issue and will update us later :)

Well after entering the correct Specs for the camera it works!!!!  

Thanks so much for all your help today Roland.

Now I just have to make it work on a live sky with real cameras, mounts and scopes rather than simulators.

Carole 

28 minutes ago, carastro said:

Well after entering the correct Specs for the camera it works!!!!  

Thanks so much for all your help today Roland.

Now I just have to make it work on a live sky with real cameras, mounts and scopes rather than simulators.

Carole 

Well done Carole.  I have been following this thread with interest as plate solving sounds like a real boon.  I think I would have given it up as a bad job though, looking at your trials and tribulations.

You need something called “clear skies” now.  I vaguely remember the concept, long long ago...

Glad you got it running Carole. Ironically, I'm having issues with PS2 myself. It won't solve since I got the new camera but was rapid quick to solve if I used the Canon. Blind solve still works fine but I have to manually solve and frame targets now. Not tried the new APT yet.

11 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Ironically, I'm having issues with PS2 myself. It won't solve since I got the new camera but was rapid quick to solve if I used the Canon. Blind solve still works fine but I have to manually solve and frame targets now. Not tried the new APT yet.

You could try ASTAP as a replacement for PlateSolve2 as described http://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm#platesolve2 

Probably a dedicated ASTAP menu option in APT will be available this year.

17 minutes ago, han59 said:

You could try ASTAP as a replacement for PlateSolve2 as described http://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm#platesolve2 

Probably a dedicated ASTAP menu option in APT will be available this year.

Thanks. I spoke too soon though! Last night before I packed away I was ironing out a few kinks in my system. I installed the latest APT 3.62 and tried again. Still the same, Solve wouldn't work but Blind would. So I loaded some old subs, changed the profile to the 600D and 1m length reflector and Solve worked straight away! I tried some more old subs while gradually changing the profiles to reflect the kit I'm using now and Solve worked each time. So fingers crossed it's all ok again.

@Yoddha

I noticed in the new version where the auto meridian flip settings are, there is an option to check for the first platesolve after a flip to be a Blind solve and after that it will use the PS2 routine. I'm guessing that's how the GOTO++ currently works. Is it possible that a future update could have the option to use Blind solve each time?

23 minutes ago, Yoddha said:

Hi David,

If the PS2 path is empty in the PointCraft setting, only blind solving will be used :)

I would suggest to integrate PS2 into APT install file... Not sure if PS2 would charge for that... But it would eliminate lots of headache for some of the members of our community :)

PlateSolve2 is fast and reliable but:

•  Very critical in the arcseconds/pixel setting. So the telescope focal length, pixel size in microns and CCD width x height should be entered accurate. You could take these data from a blind-solve .
  •  Can scan only a small area. After a meridian flip, the offset could be as large as 1 degrees and this will take a long time to solve. 

ASTAP is less critical for these two points. An offset of 90 degrees is solved in a few minutes maximum. An offset caused by the meridian flip is solved almost instantly.

Blind solving is the most reliable option but it takes more precious time.

Hi Roland,

I have thought about that, but it will make the APT download size almost 1GB and not all APT users are using PointCarft (or at least in the beginning :) ). It is other topic if PlaneWave will agree to do it.

Archived