Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APT Plate solving problem with PS2

Grierson

I have APT on an elderly laptop running APT v3.53. Plate solving works just fine. Both PS2 and ASPS work.

I have replaced the old laptop with a new model and installed APT v3.54.1 and PS2 and ASPS however when I come to run Point Craft I get the message:

'PlateSolve can't find the APM catalog. Please install it before proceeding. The catalog directory can be selected from the file menu'  and I can get no further.

I have both the APM and UCAC3PS catalogues installed. I have rolled back APT to an earlier version with the same result.

I have posted the issue on the APT forum with no response as yet but in the mean time I wonder if any SGL member has had a similar problem or can suggest any solution.

Many thanks - John

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus dont forget Platesolve 2 needs to have its setting set to point to Cat's and ASPS needs Cywin etc - as far as I remember they still will not share the same location and work - might be wrong not done new Installation of APT for a while.

Thanks gentlemen. I am running APT as Administrator and Point Craft does know where the files are. I have identical folders on both old and new laptops running W10. I have not done as Mark suggests yet but I will now go away and try. Thanks - John 

This is from the APT website:

PS2 Installation:
  •  
    Download PlateSolve2 version 2.28 from http://planewave.com/downloads/software/
  •  
    Download the UCAC3 catalog
  •  
    Extract the both ZIP files where you like (under Windows 10 it is better not to be in the "C:\Program Files"  and "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders)
  •  
    Start PS2. From “File->Configure Catalog Directories” select the folder where the UCAC3 catalog is.

ASPS Installation:
  •  
    Download 'All Sky Plate Solver' installer from http://www.astrogb.com/astrogb/All_Sky_Plate_Solver.html
  •  
    Start the installer. It will download and setup a local Astrometry.net server. No complicated configurations!
  •  
    After that it will open the index files downloader which will get only the data you need

You need at least one of PS2 or ASPS. After their installation go to PointCaft Settings to select the application folders.

Some notes about the installations:
  •  
    If usually you are starting APT using "Run As Administrator" option, then start PS2 with the same option when you configure the catalog folder
  •  
    If you want to share the Astrometry.Net index files between ASPS and AstroTortilla check this topic in the APT forum - http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=619

Thanks Bryan and all the other folk who have taken the time to respond. I have had a clean start, removed everything and carefully re-installed APT, PS2 and the UCAC3PS catalogue again and 'eureka' Point Craft functions as it should.  I obviously missed a trick somewhere along the line. Many thanks again - John  

• 2 months later...

I am trying to set up Platesolving with APT (never done this before and am not brilliant with complicated IT stuff).  

Getting the same problem, I have downloaded and installed both Platesolve 2 and APM but do I also need ASPS.  I have installed this.

I am running on the simulator just to test it out.  Do I need this as well = UCAC3PS catalogue?

Also when it says in settings to select where PS2 is installed, where is that?  In Programs or in the download folder?  Almost got it to work once, but still says it can't find APM.

Can some-one give me an idiot's guide please.

Thanks

Carole 

Something important when using both catalogues for plate solving in APT, is to download the files which match your pixel size with your focal length from your scope.

I always use the Blind method for solving and framing as is the fastest. 

In order to test plate solve is important as well to open Cartes du Ciel so you can see where in the sky is your sensor pointing to and the rotation of your camera.

Within the Point Craft settings in APT is where you have to set up the folders where you installed everything. I attach a picture of my set up.

PointCraft_settings.jpg

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Getting the same problem, I have downloaded and installed both Platesolve 2 and APM but do I also need ASPS.  I have installed this.

Do I need this as well = UCAC3PS catalogue?

Also when it says in settings to select where PS2 is installed, where is that?  In Programs or in the download folder? 

All Sky Plate solver can be useful (it doesn't need to be told where it is pointing unlike Plate Solve2) but PS2 is blisteringly quick  (2 or 3 seconds this evening) once given the approximate position but you can run with either one or with both.

If you are running PS2 then I think you need both the catalogues mentioned.  ASPS also needs its own index files.  There's a wizard for these on the menu bar.

Not the download folder.  Rather, wherever you extracted/installed it.  As per the two boxes in Susaron's image above.

I have managed to configure APM in PS2, but APT Pointcraft is telling me it cannot find APM.  

The one that I can;t seem to configure UCAC3 catalog.  If I go into the Configuring directory I can;t find it listed.  If I go into Explore on my PC it is installed in A zip file under various places (where I have obviously attempted to install it previously, but none of these folders come up in the Configure file directory.  They are Zipped files, but there is nothing to extract if I open them, just a load of UC3 files.

I hate non straight forward IT stuff, one of the reasons why i have not attempted to try plate solving before. 

Carole 

Ignore me for now I have only just woken up and now read your post properly. So deleted my first response.

When I had issues I found that just removing platesolve2, asps then reinstalling both sorted out my issues. 

11 hours ago, carastro said:

If I go into Explore on my PC it is installed in A zip file under various places (where I have obviously attempted to install it previously, but none of these folders come up in the Configure file directory.  They are Zipped files, but there is nothing to extract if I open them, just a load of UC3 files.

You need to extract the UC3 files to a folder of your choice (the default will probably be OK).  The zip archive can't be used directly by the plate solve program.

I always install all the plate solving stuff in the same folder as the APT images. Makes it easy to set the directory paths.

Not very good at this stuff, sometimes you don't even get an option on where it will be installed.

Carole 

2 hours ago, carastro said:

But if I click on the zipped up folder it doesn't give me an option to extract, and if I open the file it's just a load of individual files all with a blank icon.

Carole 

When you right click on the zipped folder does it not give you a drop menu with Extract here... etc? The icons are blank as Windows doesn't recognise the format but that's ok, it doesn't need to. IIRC inside the zipped file is another folder titled UCACS3. That's the filter you need to put somewhere and point the directory to.

When you right click on the zipped folder does it not give you a drop menu with Extract here... etc?

My answer was going to be No on this. 

But now I tried again and again it did not show "Extract Here" so I left clicked first, then right clicked again and finally it showed me I could extract.  

Having done that I noted the location of the file and again finally I managed to load the locations into PS2  See screen shot attached.

BUT!!!  Still APT is telling me it cannot find APM (also see screen shot). 

Hopefully I am slowly getting there but it is a painful process.

N.B.  I am currently using a simulator as not connected to mount or camera. 

Have I installed the APM and UCAC3 folders to the right place.  I cannot see where to install it in APT. 

Carole

PSdirectories.jpg

Cannot find APM.jpg

Archived