Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT Plate solving problem with PS2

Grierson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure if you would have read this in the manual.

Some notes about the installations:
  •  
    If usually you are starting APT using "Run As Administrator" option, then start PS2 with the same option when you configure the catalog folder

Carole, have you tried Solve or Blind on an image? The UCACS and APM directories are for the PlateSolve2 routine. For this to work, the image needs to be close to your intended target and you have to select the target in objects and hit Solve. The closer you are the quicker it should solve. I think you have the correct settings for this so leave that for now.

The Blind solve uses the All SKy Plate Solver and your directory is incorrect. I've just uninstalled mine and reinstalled. Have you installed the All Sky Plate Solver and the local Astrometry catalogue?

http://www.astrogb.com/astrogb/All_Sky_Plate_Solver.html

If usually you are starting APT using "Run As Administrator" option, then start PS2 with the same option when you configure the catalog folder

I'll look into that.

have you tried Solve or Blind on an image? 

Mainly solve but did also try blind solve on one occasion, and I have been selecting a star or object in the same sort of area at the image.  How close does it need to be? 

Carole 

Have you installed the All Sky Plate Solver and the local Astrometry catalogue?

I thought I had but last time out I was having doubts.  What is the local Astrometry catalogue.  But doesn't APT say you can use either PS2 or ASPS or both? 

12 minutes ago, carastro said:

I thought I had but last time out I was having doubts.  What is the local Astrometry catalogue.  But doesn't APT say you can use either PS2 or ASPS or both? 

I've just installed APT on another laptop and ran through the routine again. You have the Solve routine setup correctly. But I'm finding that a bit hit and miss myself at the moment. The Blind solve is better as you don't need to be close to the intended target. Click on that link I posted and download the All Sky Plate Solver. When you run it for the first time it automatically installs the Astrometry catalogue locally on your hard drive. When you first run it it will ask for your scope focal length, pixel size and sensor size and it will automatically select which directories to install. Give it a go and see how you get on. If you get stuck send me a pm and hopefully I can help.

20190102_204216.jpg

20190102_214022.jpg

20190102_214647.jpg

Thank you David.  I am going to tackle this again on another day I think and come back to this post with a clearer head. 

When you first run it it will ask for your scope focal length, pixel size and sensor size and it will automatically select which directories to install. 

Now this is the bit that bothers me as I have several scopes and cameras all with different specs.  I thought to start with I would enter the one that I use the most, but is there a way to have different options, or will it need entering every time I change set ups?

Carole 

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

Now this is the bit that bothers me as I have several scopes and cameras all with different specs.

I think as you change the focal length more or less with be highlighted in yellow. Try your smallest and largest and see which gives you the larger selection and go with that one.

Have re-installed everything and still getting the same problem.  Even running as administrator.

Think I am going to have to give up until I can get some-one better at IT stuff than me to help. 

Carole 

I was using the browse method every time.  I wrote down exactly where to find the relevant places, have re-installed the catalogues in PS2 but am still getting the same message about can't find the APM catalogue.  Where does this get installed as I am sure I have done it.

Too many "bits" to install maybe causing confusion. 

Carole 

Archived