Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to bite the bullet and solder a resistor in there one of these days...  I'm an electronic engineer with access to all the equipment and components, and for nearly 10 yrs I've just wiped with my finger ;)

I do cheat nowadays mostly though, I'm ashamed to admit: Telrad for 2 star alignment of Argo-Navis on my 15" dob, then push-to after that - simples, and no dew problems!

I invested in a TeleGizmo Telrad Canvas Cover, through FLO. My Telrad is used on my 14" dob and is fitted onto a 4" riser base. The cover is convenient to place over when I am taking short breaks for coffee, checking charts.  At this time of year it is becoming particularly useful as condensation has been quite apparent on my recent two observing sessions. It would also get used if I was at an over night star party, in addition to a larger scope cover. I value the Telrad highly, I do use a Quikfinder with my other two scopes. 

I'm contemplating an extension to hold my Telrad forward of my scope on a similar plane to the finder.

Initially this will be a wooden extension, sticky pads and tie wraps to hold it in place?

My latest Telrad (III) has a full compliment of extras, including 4" riser, dew shield incorporating right angle mirror! and a pulser.

All very good, but I still need to be a short distance behind this finder, in order to get the best viewing angle, and I still have to wear prescriptions in order to see focused reticles at infinity?
There's a RACI finder too, must find time to re-experiment with this, but to be honest I'm still favouring the 9x50 SF,  keeping both eyes open whilst finding.

On 06/10/2018 at 11:54, Tim said:

Agreed, a Telrad is a must have for Dob observing. I use nothing else on mine although I do have a finder scope for it, It is an unnecessary weight

You can, if desired, use the rings on the Telrad bullseye as a size guide and in conjunction with some star maps, but I just accurately line mine up on a bright star and a high power EP, and then use it as a finder and pointer. Incredibly intuitive, and simple to use.

The only negative really, apart from the large size which is mostly empty space, is that the lens is prone to dewing up. You can get caps to alleviate this, and I have just bought a Telrad specific dew heater which is a U shaped circuit board with lots of resistors wired in. Haven't had a really dewy night yet to test it on, but first impressions seem OK with it. That does require a dew controller and 12V DC power source of course.

Agree about the only fault with the Telrad is its prone to dew up, I have overcome this by removing the glass when not using, stick it in my pocket , slot  the glass back in to use, I had a problem on the North Yorks Moors with the Telrad dewing up terrible, a fellow Astro mate suggested this method to me and I have used it twice since, works well. A Telrad Riser has also been a good addition for me, saves 'cricking the next so much on alignment.

Eric

ps I find the Dew Shield not much use really.

On 06/10/2018 at 11:36, johninderby said:

The Telrad is the best and easiest to use red dot type finder period. Way over sized yes but just works so well.

On a dob I prefer the combination of a Telrad and a 9x50 optical finder preferably the right angle erect image type. The Telrad gets you close and then the 9x50 gets you spot on.

D6DBFA87-CD8A-4ACC-AA41-25567FA71AF8.jpeg

What he said!

Archived