Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second Hand Solar Equipment

I am just curious to hear people's opinions on buying second hand solar equipment, such as a Herschel wedge or solar scope.  With solar observing having the potential to cause permanent damage it is more difficult to test the gear.

What do you think?

Paul

I've just bought a Herschel wedge second hand. I think with them(in contrast to film) the more they are broken, the less light they show. The nd filters need to be checked I assume. Please correct me if I'm wrong someone but I think that's why people prefer the safety of the wedge to solar film.

I've bought second hand solar equipment but regardless of where I got it from I always check my solar gear is working every time I set it up before looking through the eyepiece.

I wouldn't rate either a wedge or film as as being necessarily safer than the other, the most important safety mechanism for solar observing is the observer understanding how the equipment works, how to set it up safely, and how to check it is safe.

1 hour ago, domstar said:

I've just bought a Herschel wedge second hand. I think with them(in contrast to film) the more they are broken, the less light they show. The nd filters need to be checked I assume. Please correct me if I'm wrong someone but I think that's why people prefer the safety of the wedge to solar film.

Thats my view as well.

I've bought both a Lunt wedge, a PST and a Lunt 50 pre-owned, using the usual care of course, and they worked very well. No problems. I might be a little more wary of filters that fit over the aperture because thats all that is between your eye and the solar glare.

I agree with Paz that a quick check before observing each time you use a solar device is prudent as well as knowing your equipment.

Thanks guys.

I currently use Baader Astrosolar film, and I check it carefully before each use.

Slightly off topic, how do you find the views through the wedge differ from the film?  I am currently thinking of picking one up, not that there is much activity on the sun at the moment.  Is the view sharper?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, pbyrne said:

Thanks guys.

I currently use Baader Astrosolar film, and I check it carefully before each use.

Slightly off topic, how do you find the views through the wedge differ from the film?  I am currently thinking of picking one up, not that there is much activity on the sun at the moment.  Is the view sharper?

Thanks

In my opinion yes, you see more detail with better contrast with a wedge. I used to be terrified by the thought of using one, but am very glad I do now. Started off with the Lunt 1.25" which performs very well and is great value for money. Just double (triple!) check it has the ND3.0 filter fitted.

59 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I got my herschel wedge second hand had no problems at all.

Got my Lunt wedge secondhand from a fellow SGL member with no problems but can't remember who now.

But I did triple check everything before I used ito for the first time.

Ive bought a HW, Quark. Both were brand new. I have also bought a pair of Sunoculars from a fellow SGL member. Its a nervous moment when starting to use any kind of solar observing gear. I doubt very much that any member of SGL would sell faulty solar gear on. 

I wouldnt buy a homemade solar filter/film second hand. They are cheap enough to be bought, and made new. 

On 05/09/2018 at 19:40, pbyrne said:

Thanks guys.

Thanks

I have a film and a wedge and would say the wedge appears to show better detail. When I first tried the wedge (a Lacerta model) it didn't look any better for a few sessions but then I good some good seeing and realised it was better.

A big benefit of a wedge is the ability to tune the brightness with a polarising filter. This means you can optimise the brightness for different features and you can turn up the brightness in order to make good use of colour filters which by their nature dim the view. I always found my solar continuum filter was limited to lower magnifications with a film filter which together dimmed things too much at higher magnifications, but with a wedge if you up the magnification and it gets dim you can adjust the brightness. A good example is I find a red filter helps me to see limb darkening and tuning the brightness makes a big difference to its effectiveness.

I too have recently purchased a secondhand solar wedge via a private sale from a SGL'er and endorse the comments by all SGL'ers that have replied. I would be a tad weary of buying used/secondhand solar observing equipment via auction sites.

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.61d0def85db3d5e798128ef6d95d020b.JPG

Archived