Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Challenge #18 - Globular Clusters

The theme for the 18th challenge - September 2018 - is Globular Clusters!

Start Date: 1st September 2018
End Date: 30th November 2018

Rules: The theme is globular clusters - nice and simple but there are some wonderful ones to image and explore over the next few months. We look forwards to seeing your entries!

Prize: A personalised mug for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places featuring your image kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please start a new topic with your image in the ‘Imaging Challenge #18' forum (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

15 minutes ago, Bamo said:

Is there a separate challenge foor beginners who don't excel image processing yet? (single exposures)?

We do have challenges specifically aimmed at less experienced imagers such as the 30 sec challenge or phone camera challenge but thiss shouldn't put you off entering any challege you want. the judges take into account all sorts of things such as equipment used, experience, location. Enter any. It should be all about the fun rather than who can create a masterpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes...

Is the change to using albums for competition entries working well?

My impression is that we are seeing fewer entries, and more importantly we seem to be seeing much less discussion of the entries.

Perhaps this is because you can just view the album as a selection of thumbnails and it doens't really encourage discussion.

Now we are a few challenges into the new system, perhaps it's time to review if the change was for the better?

P.S. I've never, ever sketched a view through a scope - when will we see a sketching challenge?

On 13/09/2018 at 16:05, Stub Mandrel said:

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes...

Is the change to using albums for competition entries working well?

My impression is that we are seeing fewer entries, and more importantly we seem to be seeing much less discussion of the entries.

Perhaps this is because you can just view the album as a selection of thumbnails and it doens't really encourage discussion.

Now we are a few challenges into the new system, perhaps it's time to review if the change was for the better?

100% agree - the comments are usually supportive, constructive and often educational in terms of helping others improve their capture and processing skills.  The album format discourages that, though I guess it saves space...

On 13/09/2018 at 17:05, Stub Mandrel said:

using albums for competition entries

A bad idea I think. Viewing a gallery on a phone is a nightmare, but more than that, part of entering for me at least is to get feedback on the images. Previously, I have received valuable tips in so doing and by taking them onboard learned new techniques to improve my photography and processing; indeed, that was amongst my main reasons for entering. The gallery doesn't encourage this.

Please let's have the friendly SGL forum post style back for competitions.

Just my €0.02

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2018 at 21:00, Grant said:

Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

Hi.

In reference to this rule, does this exclude submitting a colour version if I have already submitted a black and white image of the same object?

Thanks. 

We have decided to revert the format of the challenges back to how it was before - this seemed to encourage more participation and more discussions.

There are only a handful of entries in the globular competition so far, if you have already entered please could you re-enter using the new method.

Thanks,

Grant

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

It's not new it's going back to the previous style of start a post in the imaging challenge forum like we did when the challenges first started. I was really pleased to read this.

I'm wishing i'd kept my mouth shut, I had a 50/50 chance of winning when there were only six entries ??‍♀️

• 1 month later...

Archived