SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should I take the Vixen 80S to Scotland?

JOC

So I'm heading to Gt. Cumbrae, Scotland the big question is, assuming I have the space, should I take the baby Vixen 80S and if so which two EP's to pack.

In all the time I will be there apparently we will not get total darkness, so although there will be v.little Light Pollution there will be no true darkness.

I am taking 10x50 binoculars

I am taking DSLR with 55-250mm lens

I am taking tripod which will mount Canon or Vixen 80S

The 80S has got a 45 and 90 degree viewing wedge (are they called wedges - the name escapes me atm, but you know what I mean) so the possibility exists for daytime terrestrial and night-time use.

Will I likely get any use out of it, will it be worth setting up, shall I settle for my bins and camera - what would you take?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all, great replies!!  I once told a foreign visitor about haggis having one leg shorter than the other and the females being opposite to the males to control population as they then had to run around the mountains in opposite directions, it took about 6 hours before the proverbial penny dropped! LOL

If I take it which two EP's shall I take given that I probably don't need all of them - baby vixen is F5 400mm focal length: 

EP's 1.25" 10mm & 26mm Boxed Plossls; Celestron Omni Plossl 1.25" 32mm;; Baader 31mm hyperion aspheric modular 72"; 15mm Meade Super Plossl; 12mm Meade 5000;  14mm Baader Morpheus 76"; 12mm Meade HD-60; 10mm Vixen SLV; 8mm BST Star Guider; 5mm Pentax XW;

19 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Can your scope and/or the tripod cope with the weight of the Morpheus and XW or do you need to go with lighter weight options?

Well it is only my camera tripod and the baby vixen is very lightweight itself - that's one reason I asked, I haven't done much with the Vixen to see how it responds to the various EP's and perhaps I should stick to something lighter if I don't know?

NB.  I am delighted to have just found a combo of bits here that will let me mount the DSLR afocally directly onto the end of the Vixen.  Assuming I can achieve focus does this effectively give me a camera with a 400mm lens?

10 minutes ago, JOC said:

Well it is only my camera tripod and the baby vixen is very lightweight itself - that's one reason I asked, I haven't done much with the Vixen to see how it responds to the various EP's and perhaps I should stick to something lighter if I don't know?

If you've got time do some tests to find out. Assuming it is something like a pan head where the scope is mounted directly over the mount pay particular attention to what happens when you try to point it at high altitudes. You might find something that is nicely balanced for horizontal observing begins to slip as you move to vertical. If it is a ball head mounting the scope with the ball in the 90° slot might be a better option.

15 minutes ago, JOC said:

I am delighted to have just found a combo of bits here that will let me mount the DSLR afocally directly onto the end of the Vixen.  Assuming I can achieve focus does this effectively give me a camera with a 400mm lens?

Afocal means you have an eyepiece between the camera and telescope. I'm not sure how you calculate the effective focal length in this scenario. If you have the scope instead of a lens (and no eyepiece) then I think it is like a 400mm lens. You will have to be in full manual mode though.

8 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Afocal means you have an eyepiece between the camera and telescope. I'm not sure how you calculate the effective focal length in this scenario. If you have the scope instead of a lens (and no eyepiece) then I think it is like a 400mm lens. You will have to be in full manual mode though.

Ah, I see the difference - yes, there is no EP - however, it is a good point about full manual mode though - I'll have to experiment and see what seems right.  I guess about 250th sec, f 5.6 if its a good bright day would be a good start for daytime.

I think it's a pan head tripod.  The vixen has a screw hole that lets me screw the camera plate into it and this then mounts on the tripod if that makes sense as a concept.

OK, if it goes in I've found some lighter EP's - I'll take the Celestron 32mm Omni Plossl, 15mm Meade 4000 super plossl and the BST 8mm.   If I really get carried away part of what joins the DSLR to it is also the x2 Barlow.  I'll just find a space in the telescope box for them ?  Thanks for the votes of confidence.

1 hour ago, AndyH said:

If you like a nice pint of beer - CAMRA's Ayrshire & Wigtownshire branch voted Frasers Bar in Millport, Big Cumbrae, as branch Pub of the Year 2018

I've read other good things about Frasers Bar - def. worth a stop into I think.  Lets hope I don't get done for being drunk in charge of a bicycle!

There was room in the car for the Vixen in its plastic box I found for it - tripod also in and camera - watch the clouds roll-in now!!

Well we got it all here and, yes, you've guessed - wall to wall clouds tonight!  Mind you it's been a busy day so perhaps an early night won't hurt.  Oh, yes and the internet connectivity is downright ropey - probably good news to stop me working, but daughter has had some important stuff to chase up regarding post 18 yrs options and its been mildly entertaining.  The onsite service is somewhat pricey, so we are trying my little used, but has been previously useful, 3 mobile MiFi device.  It's holding the internet connection about 80 % of the time, has dropped out a couple of times, but seems the best bet at the moment, so if I do see something interesting up here I can share it ?

Just now, LukeSkywatcher said:

You remembered to bring the kids?

I did, yes - whether this is good thing or not is up for debate, but without senior kid we wouldn't have come at all.  We have added three bikes to our possessions from the local hire shop, they are mostly very well used, but should suffice, and weren't much for the week compared to buying a bike carrier for the car and paying for the extra drag in Diesel.  The only problem is they have no rear carry frames - I had bought all my bike luggage with me and now can't carry it!   I did get the shop to throw in some baskets on each one though so we do have some extra space from these.

Archived