NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are Altair Starwave red tube refractors painted or anodised?

I wouldn't care if it was tattooed Red ? - They are lovely looking instruments though! I've just been looking at the Starwave 152 V3 Red tube.... Cor!! I'm lucky enough to have a 102 Starwave in white, and it's look pearlescant up close... Love it 

32 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The finish just looks better than paint. If paint needs Turtle Wax to keep it nice ? 

Quick buff with a clean hankie , that’s all they need :tongue2:

39 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The finish just looks better than paint. If paint needs Turtle Wax to keep it nice ? 

Is it possible to get that deep high gloss pearlised finish by anodising?

Anyone who has ever tried to STRIP the paint off a Skywatcher OTA? ?
Nitromors / kitchen sink + a whole lot of elbow grease at minimum? lol

Seriously:  I do think GENERALLY scopes are made to last (paintedly) ? 

As a random observation, I note that the ANODISED section of my Lunt
Solar scope has FADED significantly with the Brightish (British) Sun?  ?

RED SCOPES are definitely very ? though!

Painted IIRC. I have some close up pics of V2 on my obsy PC, but can't be bothered to go up there and turn it all on just to find out.

If you can put up with the inherent CA, it was a lot of aperture for the money. Maybe V3 is better?????

18 hours ago, Tim said:

Painted IIRC. I have some close up pics of V2 on my obsy PC, but can't be bothered to go up there and turn it all on just to find out.

If you can put up with the inherent CA, it was a lot of aperture for the money. Maybe V3 is better?????

I accept that achros will have CA. But a 150 as a rich field scope would not be too high mag max to matter much. 

Half the price of the ED SW - (enough difference for a ES 3 inch 30mm 100 deg), which is not proven yet to be CA free anyway. Starwave is more portable, 3 inch focuser, retractable dew shield. 

It has a collimatable cel. 

There are other 150 achros, SW make 2. But the v3 has quality features. 

Of course I could paint my Tak red ;)

Telescopes should have white tubes. I cannot remember precisely but I think it was WO who started off all this nonsense! Didn't they release an orange tube at one time? Looked hideous. 

On 02/07/2018 at 22:07, Cleetus said:

Telescopes should have white tubes. I cannot remember precisely but I think it was WO who started off all this nonsense! Didn't they release an orange tube at one time? Looked hideous. 

I have all 3 SW Equinox models in shiny black and chrome. Much prefer their look to White, although my TV refractor is a pleasing ivory. The TV60 is very appealing in black. 

White and pale green are for bathrooms ?

If that scope were in white, it would be my dream one. Also, if it were f9 it would be a dream planet scope. However with a red tube and short focal length, I honestly don't see the point. ? 

I like the look of the 130mm white one, though. :D A bit out of budget perhaps.

John

16 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

If that scope were in white, it would be my dream one. Also, if it were f9 it would be a dream planet scope. However with a red tube and short focal length, I honestly don't see the point. ? 

I've got a white one, makes a superb solar scope with the Quark.

Dave

56 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

John

F9 is relevant for planets. Tube colour not. I guess a good extender could increase the FR for you. 

10 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

If that scope were in white, it would be my dream one. Also, if it were f9 it would be a dream planet scope....

Something like this ?: :icon_biggrin:

lzos130vix03.JPG

8 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

?

<faints>

Wow that is beautiful. With a Fringe killer or contrast booster filter, I guess it must be an amazing scope to look at stuff with. How does it compare with an SCT for lunar and planetary views?

John

It's a triplet apo John. F/9.25 objective designed by Thomas Back and executed by LZOS in Russia. No CA filter needed !. The scope is put together by APM in Germany. I've not used an SCT for many years now though so I can't really comment on the comparison. 

Here is the blurb:

http://www.apm-telescopes.co.uk/apm-130-1200.html

Mine is from 2006 so did not cost the rather eye watering current new price.

11 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

John

Or maybe this one John; 6" diameter ( the tube that is ), 6' long, and all WHITE as it should be.:grin:

IMG_0002.JPG

2 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Or maybe this one John; 6" diameter ( the tube that is ), 6' long, and all WHITE as it should be.:grin:

IMG_0002.JPG

Lovely but having had something very similar, not practical for me (must be portable) I'm afraid :rolleyes2:

I had hoped to put a ROR over it to eliminate carrying it about, but being a modest sized garden, and even though my wife granted permission, it would never have been accepted , and so I continue to carry it from the garage when needed. I have fitted an Altair carry handle across the rings to make it easier, but I appreciate what you are saying, and I am not sure ,for how much longer it will be practical for me. :happy11:

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

I had hoped to put a ROR over it to eliminate carrying it about, but being a modest sized garden, and even though my wife granted permission, it would never have been accepted , and so I continue to carry it from the garage when needed. I have fitted an Altair carry handle across the rings to make it easier, but I appreciate what you are saying, and I am not sure ,for how much longer it will be practical for me. :happy11:

I had to carry out and set up the mount with my 6" F/12, as well as the scope. Once set up, it stayed put. With my garden layout a scope that has to remain stationary for a full session is at a disadvantage so thats why, in the end, I parted with it. I do love the idea of being at the eyepiece end of a really long, larger aperture refractor though :icon_biggrin:

Archived