Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Jupiter with ZWO ASI224MC

mwayne

Hi all,

Took this image 25 June 2018 0245 UT.

Seeing was average to poor. I used a UV and IR cut filter and am wondering if that could be responsible for the strange tint in the image. Didn't realize that it was a combination filter. Or is there a step or two needed in processing I need to do differently? Any other suggestions for a ASI224 newbie are appreciated.

Thanks!

3_JUPITER_250618_024436Gain=400_Exposure=6.jpg

You need the IR and UV cut filter, these are focused at a different length than visible light so would blur the image. The 224MC is very sensitive in the near IR region.

You have a colour cast, need to work out where it's originating. What colour does it look on the screen, Jupiter usually looks a dull yellow colour. Do you use Registax for wavelet sharpening? If so it has a RGB adjust which can auto correct the yellow colour to a more neutral tint by boosting the blue a bit.

I have attached one of my captured Jupiters after aligning and stacking in Autostakkert. As you can see it's mainly yellow.

Peter

2018-06-24-2053_4-P-L_g4_ap79.tif

7 hours ago, astroman001 said:

You need the IR and UV cut filter, these are focused at a different length than visible light so would blur the image. The 224MC is very sensitive in the near IR region.

You have a colour cast, need to work out where it's originating. What colour does it look on the screen, Jupiter usually looks a dull yellow colour. Do you use Registax for wavelet sharpening? If so it has a RGB adjust which can auto correct the yellow colour to a more neutral tint by boosting the blue a bit.

I have attached one of my captured Jupiters after aligning and stacking in Autostakkert. As you can see it's mainly yellow.

Peter

2018-06-24-2053_4-P-L_g4_ap79.tif

Ok, boost the blue, I'll try that. What about boosting the blue in firecapture, would that work? And when I find the right course of action for Jupiter, will that apply to the other planets as well?

Thanks again.

June 28 2018, 0331UT,

Thanks astroman001, I boosted the blue and that helped a bunch. And had to get the debayer settings coordinated between Firecapture and Autostakkert.

7_JUPITER_280618_033129_Gain=445_Exposure=4.jpg

Great image mwayne…  I just ran it through Registax to give you and idea of what that does… hope you don't mind..   used auto RGB Balance (in the functions box on the right) and this came out...  Great skies in Texas, Jupiter's a bit low from the UK for the next few years..

Dave

Jupiter_mwayne.jpg

On 28/06/2018 at 11:27, Laurin Dave said:

Great image mwayne…  I just ran it through Registax to give you and idea of what that does… hope you don't mind..   used auto RGB Balance (in the functions box on the right) and this came out...  Great skies in Texas, Jupiter's a bit low from the UK for the next few years..

Dave

Jupiter_mwayne.jpg

Ah! Color balance, learned something new. Thanks all for your help!

1 minute ago, mwayne said:

Ah! Color balance, learned something new. Thanks all for your help!

You're welcome,  I'm learning lots from this forum, its great.  Was  wondering what exposure, frame rate and video length you were using, best I can get is 8-10ms, 90-100fps using quite a tight Region Of Interest, I generally use 90secs in Firecapture as I have a ZWO Atmospheric Dispersion corrector and it has a very handy tool for setting it up. The ADC works very well, but doesn't look like you need one in Texas 

Dave

On 28/06/2018 at 12:27, Laurin Dave said:

Dave

Jupiter_mwayne.jpg

Wow! What a difference RGB balance can make! Great image, mwayne! Nice work Dave!

Cheers,

Reggie

8 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

You're welcome,  I'm learning lots from this forum, its great.  Was  wondering what exposure, frame rate and video length you were using, best I can get is 8-10ms, 90-100fps using quite a tight Region Of Interest, I generally use 90secs in Firecapture as I have a ZWO Atmospheric Dispersion corrector and it has a very handy tool for setting it up. The ADC works very well, but doesn't look like you need one in Texas 

Dave

Here are the capture settings. In addition to the southerly lattitude, many summers have good seeing. Transparency is terrible however so deep space viewing is affected.

FireCapture v2.4  Settings

------------------------------------

Camera=ZWO ASI224MC

Filter=RGB

Profile=JUPITER

Diameter=41.68"

Magnitude=-2.32

CMI=28.4� CMII=322.1� CMIII=202.5�  (during mid of capture)

FocalLength=9100mm

Resolution=0.14"

Filename=JUPITER_280618_Gain=445_Exposure=4.4ms_033129.avi

Date=280618

Start=033129.658

Mid=033214.658

End=033259.659

Start(UT)=033129.658

Mid(UT)=033214.658

End(UT)=033259.659

Duration=90.001s

Date_format=ddMMyy