Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help! 

I am wanting to take up astrophotography and recently sold my Celestron 5se as this was not giving me the results I want.

I have been researching scopes over the last year or so and have made a short list based on what I can afford and what will give me the results I am after and of course build quality.

My short list in no particular order is 

Explore scientific 80 triplet

William optics z61

Skywatcher 100ed

My dilemma is which one to go with. All the reviews are equally as good although 1 or 2 negative notes on the skywatcher but not enough to put me off. Whatever I go with will most likely be a second hand unit as I hate buying items like this new. The exception may be the Williams as not too many come up on the used market. Is this a good sign I ask?

Can anyone give me a steer as to which scope to settle with?

The focal lengths of those go from 360 to 480 to 900mm so you can't really say one is better than another. Do you already have a camera? If so you may want to match the FL to the pixel size to get a decent image scale. The 900mm may be more demanding to autoguide.

Personally speaking I'm looking to get short frac with 400mm FL and a camera with around 2.4um pixels to match.

I have a cannon 60d and have access to several other Cannon DSLR. In truth I am split between the Explore Scientific and the Williams z61 as they are both small,light with great optics and reviews.

Archived