Narrowband

E/P help needed

lee g

Hi all I’m getting back into the hobby after some time away I always seemed to spend a lot of time switching between eye pieces so this time I was thinking of having just 4 ep to choose from as opposed to 12.
I have a an 8”sct and was thinking of getting the Explore Scientific 82°

im considering the following 

30mm

18mm

11mm

6.7mm

first do you think these particular e/p will work well with this scope and does the choice above sound sufficient.

regards Lee

I think that selection will work well. The only issue you might have is that the sct baffle might vignette the field of the 30mm. People who own the scope will be better able to advise on this. 

• Thanks 1

I have those with my 8SE, focal length 2032mm.

I reckon the jump from 11mm (x185) to 6.7mm (x303) is pretty big, what with seeing and all.  The 8.8mm EP (x231) might be more more useful.

My own preference has been to slowly build up an EP collection for a small changes in mag, but one other thing I would definitely recommend would be something like a 40 or 42mm to squeeze a bit more field of vision from the 'scope.  It wouldn't have to be costly.  It would also give more exit pupil which would perhaps be beneficial for DSOs.

Doug.

• Like 2

Basic set of 4, no glasses needed:

40mm 68°, alternative 35mm 68°

20mm 100°  This will be the most-used eyepiece.

13-14mm 100° for nearly all DSOs with a larger blow-up and more details visible.

9-10mm 100° your high power eyepiece that is usable all the time.

Basic set of 4, with glasses used:

40mm 68°, alternative 35mm 68°

22mm 82°  Again, the most-used eyepiece.

14mm 76° A fine, and frequently used focal length

9mm 76.  Excellent high power eyepiece

• Like 1

Aha!

Well, then, I presume you are talking about a 30mm 1.25" eyepiece, since a 2" 30mm would be incompatible with a reducer (too large a field stop).

In which case, a reduced 1.25" 30mm might work just fine as a low power, especially if the reduction is not more than 35% or so.

You will see some vignetting of the field edge, but it would likely affect only that eyepiece.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

I reckon the jump from 11mm (x185) to 6.7mm (x303) is pretty big, what with seeing and all.  The 8.8mm EP (x231) might be more more useful.

Doug.

Absolutely, the jumps in magnification are much greater at the lower focal lengths. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/07/2020 at 00:55, lee g said:

No I don’t use 127mm scope anymore. I now use a sct 8” and I wouldn’t use the focal reducer with the 30mm

Update your signature equipment list so we won't keep getting confused about what scope you intend to use these eyepieces in.