SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem Streetlight. Result!

Astroscot2

While tucked up in bed a few nights ago I thought I had left the downstairs light on and went to investigate,  to my surprise the light I was seeing was not in the house but a streetlight located a few doors down from me. It looks like the council have upgraded the light to LED. The street light is an old globe light which has not usually been too much of a problem but this is just unbelievable. Ive raised a complaint to the council as a non emergency fault. Interested to hear their point of view.

Could be a nightmare for any astronomy at home now.

Mark

IMG_20180412_213843476_LL.jpg

If it is anything like my complaint unless the light is falling on the upstairs they will not do anything. Even though the light shines up through the bedroom the light has to fall on the upstairs and street lighting is exempt from nuisance laws as I have found out to my detriment. 

That's pretty horrific isn't it... I think there's a chance you may persuade your council to put a shield on but it will be on their timescale. Any chance you can persuade a neighbour to put in a similar complaint?

It's the opposite for me - the last few days our streetlights haven't been working at all and we've all had some good nights sleep!

1 hour ago, Astroscot2 said:

The light unit is a glass globe, not a down light and this is no shielding at all. I recon its at least magnitude -20  ;-)

Mark 

That's grounds for a complaint and shielding will not be enough (I do not think) if that light housing is the wrong type for an LED setup in the first place.

Seems to be a common problem. When the local council installed the  new led streetlights. The one outside my front door shone up the stairs and also illuminated all the front bedrooms (north side). This was mentioned to the council  who rectified this fairly quickly. However there is a streetlight to the south 100 yards away across open ground which reminds me of a WW11 searchlight. Upon complaining about this one was told that it had been adjusted with shielding ect. The result is just the same, so therefore nothing had been done and with subsequent complaints still nothing done. That was two years ago and its on all night. That's what we pay the high council tax for. Have given up on that one now.( Rushcliffe Borough Council.) Fortunately a new house is to be built between my house and it, which should block it out. All depends on where you live

Well I have a result on my Street Lamp issue, must say I'm impressed by the response by the East Renfrewshire council,  I followed up my complaint a few weeks ago and got speaking with
one of the engineers,  he was very understanding and asked me to leave it with him and he would sort it out. True to his word I noticed last night the light unit had been changed . So only one month after raising the issue it now sorted, in fact better than before , no stray light across my garden at all.

IMG_20180517_081042218.jpg

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

This is the only streetlight in my Cul-De-Sac. It does keep the bedroom bright at night (even with the blind closed). It shines a horrible yellow/orange. I live almost directly opposite on the other side from light.

Untitled.jpg

That’s definitely the wrong fitting looks like a bollard type fitting , are all the streetlights like that 

22 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Great result.

Lukeskywatcher, why not contact your council and cite the above example as one of how councils can and should react to their public..

Dave

Doesnt bother me. I observe from my back garden. At night, my eyelids block it out when im sleeping. I also have double backed curtains i can close. Never do though.

18 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

That’s definitely the wrong fitting looks like a bollard type fitting , are all the streetlights like that 

Just the lights in the part of the estate where the bungalows are. At most there are 3 of them for 20 bungalows. The rest are the astronomers nightmare orange glowing nasties.

No LED lights in my town.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Doesnt bother me. I observe from my back garden. At night, my eyelids block it out when im sleeping. I also have double backed curtains i can close. Never do though.

Well, your first post made it sound like it very much did bother you..Ah well, that's OK then,☺?

Dave

Archived