Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron 5se or 6se or 8se

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used a 6SE and it is a very nice scope. Well mounted and a nice goto system. The advice normally given is to go for the largest aperture. This is sound advice if there are no storage or mobility problems. The 8SE will also take longer to cool to the ambient temperature. Something worth considering if you normally want to have quick sessions.

Thats great advice they all are complete kits, some have a small amount of extra pieces like finder scopes but not at much costs

I think Iam going for the 8se

here is hoping they have not sold it yet..

thanks again...great stuff

Unless portability is a prime concern either the 6” or the 8” would be my choice. These use the same mount, whereas the 5SE have a smaller mount. The 8SE will go deeper and have more resolution. The 6SE will be more stable and cool down quicker. It all depends on what you value.

how about a se6 for under 500 pounds would it be worth that or spend another 300 hundred on a se8??

how much better is the sc8 I still think I will go for the sc8

but the bank balance !!! bread and water for a month.......

regards

The difference is pretty stark between the pair.... and you will always be wondering “ what if”.

Having owned both in the past I would go for the 8”  the mount is the same for both scopes ? you will not be disappointed with either.

1 hour ago, todick said:

how about a se6 for under 500 pounds would it be worth that or spend another 300 hundred on a se8??

how much better is the sc8 I still think I will go for the sc8

but the bank balance !!! bread and water for a month.......

regards

£800 for an 8SE is a good price. Im assuming its second hand?. I bought one new a few yrs ago here in Ireland for something like 1700 euros. 

GREAT scope. I have to be honest and say that i cant fault it. 

Im a wheelchair user and even i can manage it. Very lightweight and portable when in 3 bits (tube,mount,tripod). Im sure an able-bodied person would be able to move it around when assembled.

yes it is but must try to see it first (Monday)

I have aa sky prodigy 130  at the moment good starter.. want more now...

Did get in contact with Celestron about the mount but max 6 kilo I think it would wobble to much..

so  going to upgrade

regards

thanks for the input

11 minutes ago, todick said:

yes it is but must try to see it first (Monday)

I have aa sky prodigy 130  at the moment good starter.. want more now...

Did get in contact with Celestron about the mount but max 6 kilo I think it would wobble to much..

so  going to upgrade

regards

thanks for the input

Always good to inspect 2nd hand scopes before buying (if possible). There may be a couple of scuff marks on the dovetail/mount. Thats to be expected. Once the front glass plate and internal mirrors are good...........

Does it come with a power pack (external battery) etc?.

Be prepared to be amazed. The difference between 130mm and 200mm is a BIG step up visually.

no I have one from the sky prodigy (made it from the golf cart battery 12 v 26amh works ok all night and my pc..)  

going to alter the electric golf trolley to carry the scope and stuff. when I get round to it..

had a dummy run and works well .. need to fix storage of perhaps a leisure batter to make sure on power.

regards

I have got it (its big isnt it)

Checked all over very clean

Quick ckeced mirror, alignment eyepices all good clean well looked after.

powerd up with batteries seem ok all round movement.

is there a product number I can check how old it is

422 miles  round trip today good day nice and sunny.

started out about 4.30 am I had forgoton that time exsisted..

Very nice chap, army marine away alot so never got used

I think I will have a few questions about hand set up with a starsence alignment eyepiece.

Put it together powered up (lucky I had a podigy power supply spare).

I have a list of goodies too.

going to bed feeling like  i'm still moving.

regards

I bought my Celestron GP-C8 (some optical tube, but with Vixen Great Polaris EQ mount) over 22 years ago and it is still my main scope. Brilliant instrument that has bagged me over 500 galaxies, 60+ planetaries, all planets except Pluto (now dwarf planet) and countless other goodies. Looking forward to your first-light report

Hi thanks to you all  for the advice

I have a couple of questions on the set up of the hand set with the celestron auto align and a mead ccd camarer to start with.

A lot of the acessreis seem to be without instructions.

I have found a lot on the web but still need some clarification.

Should I staart a new post for Celestron sc8 start up for dummies (new telescope)

regards

dick

If you don't have them, you can download a manual for the C8 SE (as sold) and a pdf manual (latest version) for the Starsense autoalign accessory, if you have that. I should mention that Starsense has been a frequent topic on the Forum and there is at least one very long thread of discussion on it.

If possible, return the C8 SE to its original configuration (as sold new), get that working to your satisfaction and then try adding any accessories.  If it does anything weird that it shouldn't, first suspect is the power supply. The external power plug is a weak point and can cause poor contact.   

Archived