Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Davenn

First light for the ASI1600MM

Hi guys

well the ZWO ASI 1600MM finally arrived  ( after the postal system sat on it for 3 days :(  )

I did some comparisons between it and my ZWO ASI 178MC that had been the main solar cam up till today

both using my Lunt LS60THa and a B1200 (12mm) blocking filter

these first two are unprocessed ( SOOC ) , just resized for the forum

and ALL images are single frame only ( no stacking)

firstly ... the ASI 178MC using mono mode in SharpCap

5a6302afdacd6_Capture_0001ASI178.thumb.jpg.d74657519dd0c5dad3fb9c39667e8ae6.jpg

Now the ASI 1600MM

5a63019821d01_Capture_0083ASI1600.thumb.jpg.14f20794a398703d03e9648dee2d19d8.jpg

NOTE:, tho the image from the 178MC looks more detailed. Strong brightness variation can be seen across the image compared to the 1600MM

What I discovered in processing was that the 1600MM image processed so much better and resulted in a significant increase in finer details  :) 

ASI178 processed ...

5a63055037bc1_180120ASI178Cap001.thumb.jpg.8a8a36817bfe3e2b971cdd530f838dec.jpg

ASI1600 processed ....

5a63078b0b7d1_180120ASI1600Cap001sm.thumb.jpg.1b23858aef0839aad30415b3247ca38c.jpg

There isn't really any comparison between the two ..... the ASI1600 shows much better detail. Specially seen around the Active Region

Next post .... prominences

Dave

Edited by Davenn
add scope type
  • Like 3

now some limb/prominences

Ohhh golly gosh !!!

again, these first two are unprocessed ( SOOC ) , just resized for the forum

ASI178MC

5a63097a87911_Capture_0004ASI178.thumb.jpg.0b05fbbddd7e5d40f1c936c4c3ab62b2.jpg

ASI 1600MM

5a63097c55f56_Capture_0008ASI1600.jpg.4d84c5cc5fd26e50dcc689ae347a29d8.jpg

The limb and prominences are just so much sharper for the 1600MM

The 1600MM with a little processing

5a630b0e7b8cc_180120ASI1600Cap010.jpg.796b7f534ab86a4285c823bb12040339.jpg

Dave

Edited by Davenn
  • Like 3

The ASI 1600MM seems to have a better dynamic range ( well I would expect it to ;) )

it is easier to pull out prominences and still have a non- overexposed surface

please excuse the poor editing blotchiness in the dark area around the outside of the sun ( I don't claim to be the world's best editor ;) )

5a630c85f02de_180120ASI1600Cap022sm.thumb.jpg.297f0e8b1c63ce27692350e409e64475.jpg

Dave

3 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots mate, deff a step up with the new cam. well done. charl.

Thankyou

Yes, look forward to some decent active regions in the future to see the good detail in them :) 

Dave

• Like 1

your welcome mate, where due for some action soon, its been ages since we had a large sunspot, think this was the last large one we had back in September. charl.

35055733244_ddceae1e7f_h.thumb.jpg.6326d7e4046cc65fe9f3c12ce697b04e.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

your welcome mate, where due for some action soon, its been ages since we had a large sunspot, think this was the last large one we had back in September. charl.

WOW ... look at that detail

I am still learning and playing with Registax etc to get better results

• Like 1

Nice comparisons, Dave.  Thanks for taking the time to share 'em.

What scope(s) did you use with those?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lowjiber said:

Nice comparisons, Dave.  Thanks for taking the time to share 'em.

What scope(s) did you use with those?

Thankyou

I should have stated :rolleyes2:

the Lunt LS60THa

Just about to post a new thread .... there's a huge prom. visible this morning

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MalVeauX
      Hey all,
      I made an acquisition and processing tutorial a while back (3 years ago? Yikes!) and it is fairly dated in terms of what I'm doing these days. I've been asked for a long time to make a new one showing what I'm doing these days. Specifically how I'm processing a single shot image for both the surface and prominences and how to process them together to show prominences and the surface at once. I've abandoned doing split images and composites and strictly work from one image using layers. Acquisition does not use gamma at all anymore. Nothing terribly fancy, but it's not exactly intuitive so hopefully this new video will illustrate most of the fundamentals to get you started. Instead of an hour, this time it's only 18 minutes. It's real time from start to finish. I'm sorry for the long "waiting periods" where I'm just waiting for the software to finish its routine, it lasts 1.5 minutes and 30 seconds tops typically at first. The first 4 minutes is literally just stacking & alignment in AS!3. I typically will go faster than this, but wanted to slow down enough to try to talk through what I'm doing as I do it. Hopefully you can see each action on the screen. I may have made a few mistakes or said a few incorrect things or terms, forgive me for that, this is not my day job. I really hope it helps folk get more into processing as its not difficult or intimidating when you see a simple process with only a few things that are used. The key is good data to begin with and a good exposure value. Today's data came from a 100mm F10 achromatic refractor and an ASI290MM camera with an HA filter. I used FireCapture to acquire the data with a defocused flat frame. No gamma is used. I target anywhere from 65% to 72% histogram fill. That's it! The processing is fast and simple. I have a few presets that I use, but they are all defaults in Photoshop. A lot of the numbers I use for parameters are based on image scale, so keep that in mind, experiment with your own values. The only preset I use that is not a default is my coloring scheme. I color with levels in Photoshop, and my values are Red: 1.6, Green 0.8, Blue 0.2 (these are mid-point values).
      Processing Tutorial Video (18 minutes):
      https://youtu.be/RJvJEoVS0oU
      RAW (.TIF) files available here to practice on (the same images you will see below as RAW TIFs):
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zjeoux7YPZpGjlRGtX6fH7CH2PhB-dzv
      Video for Acquisition, Focus, Flat Calibration and Exposure (20 minutes):
      (Please let me know if any links do not work)
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Results from today using this work flow method.
      Colored:

B&W:

SSM data (sampled during 1.5~2 arc-second seeing conditions):

Equipment for today:
      100mm F10 Frac (Omni XLT 120mm F8.3 masked to 4")
      Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (ERF)
      PST etalon + BF10mm
      ASI290MM
      SSM (for fun, no automation)

Very best,

• By AldrinBGabuya
      Good day. I need help.
      I'm experiencing problems with our ZWO120MC being used as our guide camera with our telescope set-up.
      It is connecting with the USB port but it is not being recognized. I tried restarting the PC, changing the USB cables, re-plugging and installed the necessary drivers from the ZWO website, but unfortunately, nothing worked. I tried with the other ZWO120MM and that one worked. So I thought it could be hardware or just driver issues. We operate all equipment through a Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit PC.
      I also did what ZWO support suggested us to do (uninstall and reinstall drivers) but did not work. Why's the case? Is it because of my camera's outdated or for any other reason? 
      Your thoughts/suggestions regarding this issue are much appreciated. Thank you very much. Clear skies.

• By Davenn
      The Sun today - 07 May 2019 0130UT (1130 AEST)
      Lunt LS60THa single frame exposures with an ASI 1600MM
      AR2740 with AR2741 just coming around the limb

This last one using a Televue 2.5x Powermate

cheers
      Dave
    • By f33n3y
      Hi all,
      I'm a newbie to mono imaging and am having trouble with circular/ring shapes in my subs. The circles are particularly pronounced after stacking my Lum subs but also appear in blue stacks. At the moment, this is making my lum subs unusable and I'm only just managing to put together RGB images.
      I'm using an ZWO ASI1600mm with ZWO filter wheel and filters (36mm unmounted).
      The attached TIF (LumStack.TIF) is 10x150sec of Lum subs stacked in DSS. The circles aren't very pronounced at this stage but after DBE and STF (see second SunflowerLum.jpg) the circles are very clear to see.
      I've also attached a stack of Lum data on Bode's galaxy which shows the same issue.
      Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing these?
      Thanks in advance

LumStack.TIF
    • By Davenn
      hi guys
      All my lunar imaging has usually been done with DSLR camera and telephoto lenses, usually the Canon 100-400mm and a x2 teleconverter
      Last nite I finally fired up the new scope and did some imaging
      Skywatcher 120mm x 1000mm fl EVOSTAR Black Diamond
      The mount is a HEQ5 PRO
      so for the first lunar image through that scope with a ASI1600MM camera and Sharpcap capture software

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.