Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What just happened?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the flash on that video was impressive!!

On the other hand, it couldn't have been much. Our local news would have immediately suspended all programming, flashed "BREAKING NEWS" on the screen, and then gone live to someone's back lawn with cameras pointed at the sky, waiting on another one to fall and filling in the dead space with uninformed chatter about the world ending.  And I'm only about 700 miles from where it happened. :icon_biggrin: 

Actually, I wonder if my local news will even report it. Doesn't rate with wrong-way drivers on the freeway.

Fascinating.  In one of these shots it looks like light touches down in someone's front garden.  I wonder if they got a bit of it? 

The biggest noise we ever had was during a night-time thunderstorm when loud 'report' literally rocked our house - it sounded like a phenomenal 'BANG!' and def. wasn't thunder.  We were perplexed until the next day when we went out and found a bush in cinders about 25ft away in the back garden.  From this we gathered that it must have been lightening touching down, but previously I hadn't been aware that lightening could make such a noise I have never heard anything quite like it, before or since!

6 hours ago, JOC said:

Fascinating.  In one of these shots it looks like light touches down in someone's front garden.  I wonder if they got a bit of it? 

The biggest noise we ever had was during a night-time thunderstorm when loud 'report' literally rocked our house - it sounded like a phenomenal 'BANG!' and def. wasn't thunder.  We were perplexed until the next day when we went out and found a bush in cinders about 25ft away in the back garden.  From this we gathered that it must have been lightening touching down, but previously I hadn't been aware that lightening could make such a noise I have never heard anything quite like it, before or since!

The closer you are to lightning the more like an explosion it will sound, when it occurs far away its sound reverberates through the landscape and sounds like a rumbling deep roar, but when is strikes close to you it has no time to sound off the landscape so you perceive it as an instant BANG!!! just like a bomb, your burning bush indicates a close strike. I had a bolt strike within 50 ft of me twice and each time it sounded like stick of dynamite than knocked me on my butt both times.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I had a bolt strike within 50 ft of me twice and each time it sounded like stick of dynamite than knocked me on my butt both times.

Better on your butt I think than actually hitting you!  The one that came down here was incredibly close to the house, we were very lucky.  Another time we had the internet fried by a different strike, but I think we were out that night and didn't hear it.  It's amazing how natural phenomena still have the upper hand as those pics of the meteor flashes show.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Didnt hear anything on tv about this. Reminds me of the Chelyabinsk fall a few years ago.

No, I think it was limited to the local cable networks in the US, didn't seem to get picked up over here. Plenty on Twitter if you look though.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I do like how 28,000 mph is described as relatively slow ;) 

:)

almost slow enough to have gone into orbit and we would have had a new (small) moon !

That is not far off earth escape velocity,  (~25,000) which is the speed that an object would acquire if it fell (free-fall) from infinitely far away, so this could have been another object from outside the solar system ?!

11 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

:)

almost slow enough to have gone into orbit and we would have had a new (small) moon !

That is not far off earth escape velocity,  (~25,000) which is the speed that an object would acquire if it fell (free-fall) from infinitely far away, so this could have been another object from outside the solar system ?!

It's not possible to capture a meteor into a stable orbit.

14 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

After fair comment by @wxsatuser I will amend this casual throwaway aimed at the low speed of this thing.

This particular rock would not have gone into a stable orbit as its perigee was already within the atmosphere, so alltho' the drag of the atmosphere would have caused its hyperbolic path to evolve into an elliptical orbit,,, as we know it was already too deep and did not complete that orbit.

Had a similar one taken but a gentle dip into the outer reaches of air it could go into an elliptical orbit but, as rightly pointed out, this would not be stable ( I did not specify a stable one, I didnt say for how long we would have had a second small moon :rolleyes2: ) and it would eventually decay,

However take the case of such a slow rock passing close by the Moon,, , er, wazat you say in the back row , , ,

ok >> hat&coat  >>>>

:laughing4:  zzzzzzzz

1 hour ago, wxsatuser said:

It's not possible to capture a meteor into a stable orbit.

When giving your answers, please bear in mind that I am currently in a crumpled heap at the base of my cliff of ignorance. With that in mind, I ask the following question......;) 

My understanding is that many of the smaller moons of Jupiter are captured asteroids. What is different between Jupiter and the Earth/an asteroid and a meteor in terms of being able to be captured by a planet?

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

What is different between Jupiter and the Earth/an asteroid and a meteor in terms of being able to be captured by a planet?

No essential difference, except of scale,   the presence of a third body is needed to perturb the path of the incoming object, such as the Moon or the moons of Jupiter.

If you only have the Earth (/ or Jupiter) and the incoming rock,  ie. just the two bodies in the ideal case, then the incoming rock will sling shot by the Earth and back out. This it will do either in the critical case of a parabolic ( the case of zero initial relative velocity) , or hyperbolic (if it was shot at the earth from some other system with an initial velocity),  path.

The perturbing influence can be the gravity of the third body (Moon or moons) or drag of dust in the solar system or I suppose a pass through the atmosphere of a third body would do as well (obviously not our Moon ! )

If we start back up that cliff :) we could simply say that some other influence is needed to impart a deltaV to the rock as it passing by, to cause it to be captured into orbit.

@wxsatuser is correct in the special case of a meteor as it is already - by definition of being a meteor ! - about to impact our atmosphere, a fine point.

21 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

No essential difference, except of scale,   the presence of a third body is needed to perturb the path of the incoming object, such as the Moon or the moons of Jupiter.

If you only have the Earth (/ or Jupiter) and the incoming rock,  ie. just the two bodies in the ideal case, then the incoming rock will sling shot by the Earth and back out. This it will do either in the critical case of a parabolic ( the case of zero initial relative velocity) , or hyperbolic (if it was shot at the earth from some other system with an initial velocity),  path.

The perturbing influence can be the gravity of the third body (Moon or moons) or drag of dust in the solar system or I suppose a pass through the atmosphere of a third body would do as well (obviously not our Moon ! )

If we start back up that cliff :) we could simply say that some other influence is needed to impart a deltaV to the rock as it passing by, to cause it to be captured into orbit.

@wxsatuser is correct in the special case of a meteor as it is already - by definition of being a meteor ! - about to impact our atmosphere, a fine point.

Add to that the stronger magnetic field of Jupiter, can influence a travelling body much further out from its surface, and most meteoric masses travelling inside the solar system are being influenced by solar gravity (they are travelling roughly towards the Sun) and their velocity out at Jupiter's orbit is less than it would be at Earth's orbit due to the acceleration constant of the Solar gravity well.

Pete mentioned above that he'd like to "witness one live". So would I, as long as I was outside the blast radius.:icon_biggrin:

Archived