Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads Up: TAL 100RS on Astroboot

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As expected there are some small issues....

The scope looks unused but is not pristine - there's a small dent in the tube, some small scratches (will T-Cut out) and bits of metal shavings in the OTA - that's probably how it left the factory !!

It could be a return as the finder bracket holes spacing on the OTA is 27mm, whilst on the finder bracket it's 35mm - so it does not fit !! - I have contacted Astroboot about this.

A quick look at a distant aerial at x200 looked sharp with a little CA - need to star test to get a good idea of how the optics are.

All in all for £160 it's pretty good and it's very light which was the reason for buying - the whole setup can be moved in one go :icon_biggrin:

A lovely looking scope. I'm sure there are reasons why these find their way to AstroBoot, but hopefully the optics will be worth any minor cosmetic issues.

I've had a couple of TALs, one better than the other. If I didn't have the Tak then I would be more tempted by another.

15 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Yes, all as it used to be  - not surprising as the date of manufacture was March 2011

Mine was a 2011 and it was a belter, if you decide to let this go at some stage in the future i will take first dibs on it please

13 hours ago, dweller25 said:

I live in Ramsbottom, Lancashire - Met office says cloudy for the next 9 days at least :hmh:

Think that's fairly standard at the moment... best of luck when you do get some clear sky's.. 

David love your TAL! had mine second hand from an overseas contact unfortunately it was roughed up by clumsy couriers etc and it needed a lot of fettling.

Luckily had some some great advice off fellow SGL TAL 100 owners and its certainly performing better than when I first received it.

Good luck with yours and looking forward to your star test results 

Hmmm,

Laser in the focuser goes straight to the middle of the front glass elements so focuser is square.

However, looking at the reflection of a Cheshire on the front elements shows two well seperated doughnuts, so the front cell is tilted. Contacted Astroboot and they have suggested rotating the front cell to see if it helps......

Update .... :icon_biggrin:

Rotating the front cell did not work but whilst doing this I noticed one of the holes in the cell never lines up with those in the OTA - it is 1.5mm too low, so this was tilting the entire cell !!

So for now I have put the cell back on using just the two holes that line up, rechecked the doughnuts with the cheshire and it is spot on :happy7:

Discussed this with James at Astroboot who suggested using low bond energy superglue in the open hole or using a rat tailed file to open up the hole to get the third screw in.......

10 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Discussed this with James at Astroboot who suggested using low bond energy superglue in the open hole or using a rat tailed file to open up the hole to get the third screw in.......

David if you undertake this action and it does NOT improve things - will you lose your consumer rights to return it and get a refund?

I'm glad that you are making progress sorting the issues David.

I guess it's the sort of thing that exasperated the dealers though - they would have to check each one thoroughly before despatch to the buyer. I'm almost regretting posting the "heads up" now :undecided:

31 minutes ago, John said:

I'm glad that you are making progress sorting the issues David.

I guess it's the sort of thing that exasperated the dealers though - they would have to check each one thoroughly before despatch to the buyer. I'm almost regretting posting the "heads up" now :undecided:

No worries John - It's still an interesting and lightweight scope :icon_biggrin:

Archived