Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Listening to ‘Oumuamua

John

32 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Very interesting.. imagine they actually detected a transmission... nah

Can’t properly attribute this, but there are two possibilities: ‘we are either alone in the universe or we are not. Each is equally terrifying’.

Nuff said. ??

Anyone who hasn't read Clarke's 'Rendezvous with Rama' - ask Santa for it: you're in for a real treat imho his best work ;)

I remember reading that Morgan Freeman bought the movie rights, but no sign of it ever being made. Of course a book is always better...

2 minutes ago, niallk said:

Anyone who hasn't read Clarke's 'Rendezvous with Rama' - ask Santa for it: you're in for a real treat imho his best work ;)

Another vote for Rama, I'd forgotten all about it, it had been on my bookshelf for more years than I care to think about, wonderful read.

I am most interested, and amused! A bunch of us were talking here about ‘Oumuamua being a possible battered, old starship. Looks to be more than just us were thinking about this being a distinct possibility:

Breakthrough Listen is Going to Scan ‘Oumuamua, You Know, Just to be Sure it’s Just an Asteroid and Not a Spaceship..pdf

Several YouTube pieces in the above, so have fun!

On Pins & Needles,

Dave

I saw the news reports on this and was motivated to write an article about it: https://milky-way.kiwi/2017/12/14/oumuamua-and-pattern-recognition/ . It’s a fascinating asteroid and it has probably been on a amazing journey, though not sure from where. The Nature article that one of the scientists from Pan-STARRS wrote had a few suggestions on which system it may have come from. There’s certainly some speculation going on about what exactly it is. Though by the sounds of it we are just getting better at detecting stuff and are likely to find more of these in the future - including asteroids with unusual shapes.

On 12/12/2017 at 17:45, DaveS said:

It could silent and stiil be an ancient wreck of a starship, though its path does look rather well targeted.

We have to remember that there is bias in the detection/observation of this asteroid. It may be that they enter our system all the time, but we only detected this one because of its proximity to earth.

Archived