Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark art or magic bullet for video astronomy

shirva

Don't know how many video astronomers are aware of the new book by Steve Richards, stepenwolf on sgl,, dark art or magic bullet is his latest book, I received my copy a couple of days ago,though not finished reading it yet, I thought I would share my views.

This is a great book for anyone processing there images, very good tutorial on how to get the fantastic images we see in posts, it takes you step by step through the full process and for beginners this is must have book in my opinion,,

Read up into the sixties and it just keeps getting better.

Can be purchased from first light optics or direct from Steve. 

Got mine thursday. I'm reading the whole book before I do anything. worked that way with "making every photon count" so I'm sure it'll work well for Dark Art or Magic Bullet. I've already picked up a few things I do differently so I'm excited to give the workflow a run through 

Thanks for the heads up on the new book. My copy of 'Every Photon' is very well thumbed now, and was absolutely invaluable when I started imaging. Then I discovered Video/EAA and stopped imaging (for now) but what I learned from the book was invaluable for understanding stacking, darks, etc, and the basics of processing, which is done on the fly in Video/EAA. Personally one of the plusses of Video/EAA for me is the lack of post processing required as I spend all day working at a computer already, but I expect that will change in the future as with most things. I'm sure I would still learn a lot from the new book, the index seems to cover just about everything, tempted actually....

Yip I think Steve has done a great job again, I have the first and third edition of , making every photon count, and we all know how good this book is for video astronomers , the new book just takes you from where he stopped in making every photon count and just blend's straight in with the new book,,,  

The new ring binder style is the way to go as well in my view

Not read any of his books yet but intend to down the line, they do not sell them at the local news agent. Steve in my opinion has a similar way that Sir Patrick had, in making the difficult easier to understand. He was a great help to me simply telling me what lights, darks, flats etc are and what they do. A question I asked before some years ago but was only confussed by answers

7 hours ago, alan potts said:

Not read any of his books yet but intend to down the line, they do not sell them at the local news agent. Steve in my opinion has a similar way that Sir Patrick had, in making the difficult easier to understand. He was a great help to me simply telling me what lights, darks, flats etc are and what they do. A question I asked before some years ago but was only confussed by answers

Yeah Steve is a good guy and helped me big time when I started out in astrophotography,we ended up friends after I bought his book and two were sent in mistake, I have to own up it was me who got him into playing the bagpipes , which he has picked up very quickly and is pretty good at.

His books are that good I would buy one even if I didn't know the content,, as you say he makes hard things more simple in his explanations and tips.

I read more last night and doh, starting to hit the stuff I didn't know, well I know now it will make my images better,, I messaged Steve couple of days ago saying how relevant his book is in video astronomy and was pleasantly surprised it is so helpful to video astronomers as well,, one day might get him into video astronomy ?

Archived