Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranometria 2000.0 All Sky Edition

Stars to 9.75 magnitude & 30000 non-stellar objects. 

Not a beginner's atlas (try Phillips, less detail) but an inspiration to amateurs. 

Back when U2K was first released, I snapped up the Northern Hemisphere vol. (Southern had its own). I was & still am a fan of Wil Tirion's draughtsmanship from Collins Field Guide to Phillips to Atlas of the Night Sky to Uranometria. When 2000 AD was still a future date. 

This All Sky Edition has both hemispheres in 1 book. 

While Night Sky (which also has a white objects on black background version) has large fold out pages or large separate sheets for field use, Uranometria is more library/reference use. 

But U2K is wonderful in its magnified detail and indexes for help in finding charts, of which there are 220. In addition there are 26 charts of more detailed areas showing star magnitudes down to 11.5 and DSOs with smaller separations etc. 

On the main charts, stellar magnitude goes to 9.7 from 0.0 and brighter. Double/multiple stars are shown as individual down to 60" separation. Variable stars down to 4 amplitude. Novas, quasars, radio souces & X-ray sources are shown. Galaxies, clusters, & nebulae are to scale. 

The atlas has a separate index for; Bayer stars in each constellation, named stars alphabetically, Messier objects with type, common names, and NGC/IC objects. 

At the front is a chart of each pole & the celestial polar areas showing the main chart number to go to, then a page listing them as well. 

Want the Veil Nebula? Not sure where it is? Go to Common Names index which says it's on charts 47, and there it is filling a credit card sized area of a page. 

Pleiades on chart 78 not detailed enough? Chart A12 expands the area of 27 down to 21 degrees, and 3h 58m across to 3h 38m over a whole page. 

Copyright violation paranoia stops me from uploading photos, but this book, for less than the price of some planetarium software DVDs, is a great bargain to me. 

I bought mine from FLO, cheaper than Amazon. It is not for stellar observation beginners, but could be for DSO hunters due to the larger scale for nebula & clusters etc. Galaxies depend on size, but looking at chart A13 detailing the Virgo galaxy cluster, the shapes of larger ones such as (elliptical super giant) M87 give an indication of what you might, or might not see. 

Good review :thumbright:

I have the U2000.00 All Sky Edition and Interstellarium and they are both great resources. They don't get outside much though - the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas is my tool in the field (well on the patio mostly !).

41 minutes ago, John said:

I have the U2000.00 All Sky Edition and Interstellarium and they are both great resources. They don't get outside much though - the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas is my tool in the field (well on the patio mostly !).

I started off with, & still use a planetarium. Then Collins Field Guide. Uranometria is for finding out what I missed...

I always take out my Sky and Telescope Atlas plus either the Uranometria or Instellarium Atlas and place them in a large plastic box. When necessary I place the atlas on a large music stand to study for star hopping. I accept that sometimes the atlas can become damp. I am considering buying the Instellarium Field Atlas for this reason .

4 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I always take out my Sky and Telescope Atlas plus either the Uranometria or Instellarium Atlas and place them in a large plastic box. When necessary I place the atlas on a large music stand to study for star hopping. I accept that sometimes the atlas can become damp. I am considering buying the Instellarium Field Atlas for this reason .

Is it laminated?

On 18 November 2017 at 15:23, John said:

S&T Pocket Atlas according to CN includes Carbon stars. Those are not identified in U2K or SA2K. 

Archived