Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question for Dob Mob

:hello: Hi guys,

I'm taking the Obsession for its first outing at SGL17 and just wondering what the best thing is to put under the base to avoid the (wet) grass.. What do people use?

Thanks

Helen

PS shroud making rather challenging I've found, so the use could be measured in minutes if Lucksall dew makes its usual appearance :rolleyes:

Oooo, didn't know you had an Obsession Helen, 16 or 18"?

I use a piece of  3/4" ply under my dob, treated with Yacht varnish. It is fitted with a spirit level, compass, and locating lugs for my dobs feet, keeping it dry and easy to use with setting circle and Wixey.

The gravel pitches are nice to use, only a bit noisy when neighbour campers are asleep, although perhaps they should be out enjoying the sky!

Just now, Tim said:

Oooo, didn't know you had an Obsession Helen, 16 or 18"?

I use a piece of  3/4" ply under my dob, treated with Yacht varnish. It is fitted with a spirit level, compass, and locating lugs for my dobs feet, keeping it dry and easy to use with setting circle and Wixey.

The gravel pitches are nice to use, only a bit noisy when neighbour campers are asleep, although perhaps they should be out enjoying the sky!

15 Ultra Compact, Tim :grin:  Rather easier to store and transport than the 14inch solid tube OO!!

Might need a trip to Hereford B&Q on Saturday then - have you put adjustable feet on the ply?   I've got an encoder set etc, but the set up for the UC is non-trivial...  Going to start with the telrad and see how I do!

Helen

6 minutes ago, Helen said:

15 Ultra Compact, Tim :grin:  Rather easier to store and transport than the 14inch solid tube OO!!

Might need a trip to Hereford B&Q on Saturday then - have you put adjustable feet on the ply?   I've got an encoder set etc, but the set up for the UC is non-trivial...  Going to start with the telrad and see how I do!

Helen

I have oak wedges to level the base Helen. There was an 18" obsession with argo navis for £2k on astrobuysell recently, would have snapped it up if I had seen it in time, although what I'd do with 4 dobs I have no idea!

The 15 UC should be awesome, would love to share some views with you, still very up in the air whether I can make saturday night or not.

51 minutes ago, Tim said:

I have oak wedges to level the base Helen. There was an 18" obsession with argo navis for £2k on astrobuysell recently, would have snapped it up if I had seen it in time, although what I'd do with 4 dobs I have no idea!

The 15 UC should be awesome, would love to share some views with you, still very up in the air whether I can make saturday night or not.

This will be my first time out with it Tim, so am expecting a lot of 'learning'.  Hope you can make Saturday night, it would be great to catch up!

Helen

21 minutes ago, Tim said:

Just hypothetically Helen, would there be room on your pitch for another dob?

I'm in a pod Tim, so I'm going to set up on a spare pitch - so yes, plenty of room alongside (thinking the pitch vacated by MikeP might be a good spot...)

17 minutes ago, Steve said:

The interlocking dense-foam square mats sold for use under gym equipment are often recommended for use under Dobs. 

HTH

Thanks Steve :smile:  Looking forward to catching up!

Helen

As a dob owner of a number of years, this is somehting I have never done. But I also haven't really thought about it. Now that Helen raised the question, it does seem logical.

Would be great if you can share what you all perceive as benefits of doing this? I observe on everything from snow/ice, to gravel car parks, to grassy fields, I'm thiking it may be worth the hassle.

For my two dob's (8" and 14") I use a rubber ground mat, which is a car boot liner mat retained from my former Skoda Fabia. It is fairly chunky, good for levelling on grass or rough gravelly surfaces such as in car parking spaces. Prior to this I had used a surplus square shaped piece of soft lino flooring. The most important factor is as mentioned levelling (I would still remove any larger stones and check surface prior to situating the dob base), a mat also keeps the underside clean, scratch free and void of moisture build up from for example damp grass. Useful to if an item, such as eyepiece cap is dropped, it may just land on the mat.  Finally whilst I do not use it for this purpose (I use a foot rest on my observers chair), you could potentially place your feet on the mat adding a little additional insulation. Never travel without your mat.

I use an open weave PVC ground sheet. http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/general/ground.htm secured with some of these https://www.motorhomeshop.co.uk/apg0110-groundsheet-peg this lets any rain or dew straight through but protects my Dob base from the ground nicely. It's a bit more expensive than a standard Tarp but much harder wearing. Its great for putting down in front of tent entrances or inside awnings as well.

Obsession.jpg

30 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

I use an open weave PVC ground sheet. http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/general/ground.htm secured with some of these https://www.motorhomeshop.co.uk/apg0110-groundsheet-peg this lets any rain or dew straight through but protects my Dob base from the ground nicely. It's a bit more expensive than a standard Tarp but much harder wearing. Its great for putting down in front of tent entrances or inside awnings as well.

Obsession.jpg

Thanks!  I like that idea as it should be less slippy than a standard tarp B)

Helen

Archived