Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

National Forest Star Party ,November 2017.

cotterless45

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooo... s’about as local as it gets for me. Shall give this some serious consideration!

Take it pricing is standard tariff for the site?

ie: 

Non Hook Up Pitch: £21 per night
Hook Up Pitch: £25 per night

Well I'm going to book in for this.  Only done one star party - astrocamp wales - just a week or so ago - it was cloudy! Going to a SGL in a couple of weeks. But Rosliston Is handy as it's the most local for me. Look forward to meeting anyone who's going? 

6 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Replacing the DIY Peak Star Party and at a darker site,

Really enjoyed the DIY peak one, even though there were a couple of small issues with the general campers and their white lights/headlights

Not sure if i can make the November dates :sad: but am up for the spring one ( just need some dates :icon_biggrin: )

couple of questions though, 

1. which part of the camp-site will we be on
2. Are the camping pods close by where we will be placed, ( or should i buy inflatable tent ? )
3. are we going to have general campers mixed in with us like at Peak star party?
4. do we have to mention we are coming for the star party 

Regards

8 minutes ago, Trikeflyer said:

I have an inflatable tent but in Nov I'm thinking pod will be a better option if they are near to where the astro camp is

I stayed in a pod at the peak star party, well worth it :happy11: 

but i must say i was impressed with how simple and quick the inflatable tents were to put up and they were a decent size as well, (that was the 1st time i had seen one)

As far as I know the electric pitches are in the same fields as the pods. There are a 3/4 resident campers in the same field although they do not have lights like the Peak ones did. You could mention you are coming to the Star party, the Electric field is not massive so easy to be sociable. As far as camping I use a warm air heater and just leave it running keeps the tent toastie.

15 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I'm going hoping get a pod as I suffer from arthritis in my spine. Normally my son comes with me and puts tent up but if I have to I will bring the tent. 

When I just booked, it looked like there were plenty of pods available. If you do bring a tent and need a hand, let me know.

Just now, Trikeflyer said:

When I just booked, it looked like there were plenty of pods available. If you do bring a tent and need a hand, let me know.

That is very kind of you I will have the wife with me and my tent is a blow up one hopefully I can get a pod. I get paid next Saturday so I will book then. 

2 hours ago, obrazell said:

Hm the light polltuion maps for this area are pretty scary. Doubt there can be much in the way of truly dark skies here.

Owen

Probably not the darkest skies in the world but gotta be better than my back garden that's for sure. I'll let you know how it goes if it's clear skies. 

Our Astro club meets just down the road at the Forestry Centre, it's a dark sky. We've seen M33 by eye from there.

I wouldn't have the cheek to post a meet where the skies were not good.  Hopefully this will be a tester for more events at this site. I would have preferred October , but dark Cornwall is scheduled. 

Nick.

You're never going to get dark skies in the Midlands but reasonable skies are to be found...it's a jolly up with good friends...people say it's reasonable at kelling but lack of friendly atmosphere.

Its a hard balance but I applaud Nick for making the effort...unfortunately I'll be in Skye with unbelievable skies and the best of company 

16 hours ago, obrazell said:

Sorry you are telling me this is a good sky

image.thumb.png.8d18ff6a43a25df3e572a7add7955376.png

If you are not interested then please do not derail the thread.

It is clear that there are far better skies in the U.K., but for those of us who live under heavy light pollution and never see the Milky Way at home, the chance of darker skies in a place not so far away, and above all with good company is to be welcomed.

Nice one Nick! If I can afford to I will be there, If not I will be there in spirit and definitely at the spring party. :) 

Archived