Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total Solar Eclipse from Teton Wyoming

Tom OD

Hi SGL,

This is probably way too late but I only finished processing most of my images recently. Here are three during totality with an FS60 CB at F/10, Canon 5D Mk3, on a Star Adventurer, and the fourth was from playing about in Photoshop to make a sequence of the Diamond Rings from C2 through to C3. Taken from Fireside campsite, Wyoming.

Thanks Tom.

36755457472_7c6d7d9ebf_h.jpg

36921613046_79858fa69d_h.jpg

36969119581_86beaccdf5_b.jpg

37192810165_767f92118e_o.jpg

Tom, excellent images (I would expect no different from you!). Can you share how you went about gathering these images, from an exposure and filter point of view, please? What did you use to control the camera and what kind of exposures did you take? Were you able to enjoy the eclipse with your own eyes as well as fiddle with the camera gear?! Thank you.

39 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Tom, excellent images (I would expect no different from you!). Can you share how you went about gathering these images, from an exposure and filter point of view, please? What did you use to control the camera and what kind of exposures did you take? Were you able to enjoy the eclipse with your own eyes as well as fiddle with the camera gear?! Thank you.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sure Gav,

While this was my 3rd eclipse, the first two were clouded out. So primarily I wanted to watch this one, but of course I wanted to image to take home too, so I decided to automate the camera with Eclipse Orchestrator. EO works for Windows laptops, while Eclipse Maestro is for Apple. EO does not have a burst mode so the pics were spaced out a little during the Bailys beads shooting. I also think that my clock may have been a few seconds out on the laptop, as the sequence started a little earlier than I hoped. Hence the brighter edge on the C2 images in the sequence Photo. Judging from Andre who was beside me, the Maestro would seem to better a program for the sequence set up. In EO you need to introduce a time between each exp, so you can probably only take a pic every 1.5s max. That's what I found anyway, maybe I missed something though on the program.

The Bailys beads composite are 1/1000s exp iso 200.

The Chromosphere and BB image, is a composite of a 1/2000s exp with the 1/1000 Bailys Bead blended in.

The Corona streamers image is a blend of about 40 exposures from 1/250th to 2s, all at 200 ISO. No filters on any of the images.

While the camera did its thing, I was able to stand back and admire the whole event, which was incredible. I wish it had lasted a few more minutes. The colour of the sky and the streamers were gorgeous. I just love how the Solar System felt in 3D for the first time as the Moon and Sun interacted.

Tom

4 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

While the camera did its thing, I was able to stand back and admire the whole event, which was incredible. I wish it had lasted a few more minutes. The colour of the sky and the streamers were gorgeous. I just love how the Solar System felt in 3D for the first time as the Moon and Sun interacted.

It's so pleasing to read this Tom! I've read many accounts of people spending all their time Imaging and not actually viewing it. Your pictures are wonderful, but I bet they are nothing compared with the experience of actually viewing it yourself. You had the best of both worlds :) 

1 hour ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

Incredible images & creative post work, really like addition of rings.  Congrats! 

I went for the blend mode Lighten instead of Normal, so it let the brighter Corona through from each image, giving it the spiral look.

Just now, Stu said:

It's so pleasing to read this Tom! I've read many accounts of people spending all their time Imaging and not actually viewing it. Your pictures are wonderful, but I bet they are nothing compared with the experience of actually viewing it yourself. You had the best of both worlds :) 

Thanks Stu,

While I had been building up to the eclipse for 1.5 years with planning and practice, and saving up for it, on the morning I was a nervous wreck. I had to much invested into the event. I was stressed out a little really in case it clouded over, or the laptop would not work. After a few deep breaths, my head cleared, and I was happy knowing that the weather was perfect and that viewing the event was enough. If the camera / laptop camera worked and I got a nice image from it then was going to be a bonus. Luckily things came together. (Although not completely without a hitch. The laptop failed to communicate with the camera on the first boot up!)

Tom, thank you thank you, that is great info and I will definitely be checking out Eclipse Maestro. I’m delighted that everything came together for you and you were able to experience the eclipse as well as image it so successfully. As for more totality, I have my eyes set on Luxor 2027, with over six minutes of totality!! See you there...

On 30/09/2017 at 11:59, PhotoGav said:

Tom, thank you thank you, that is great info and I will definitely be checking out Eclipse Maestro. I’m delighted that everything came together for you and you were able to experience the eclipse as well as image it so successfully. As for more totality, I have my eyes set on Luxor 2027, with over six minutes of totality!! See you there...

And I had only as far ahead as 2024 in the US and 2025 and 2026 in Spain. 

Archived