SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Places to visit - Astronomy related

asset189

If there is already a thread / sticky on this apologies and please delete. I'm sure there are many astronomy related places to visit in the Uk but out with the better known ones like Jodrell Bank etc I do not have a clue where they are and I'm sure other are the same which is a shame as I'm always looking for places to visit when on holiday. Ive added some local to me for anyone who lives or visits southwest Scotland. Please add some from your own location .

Galloway Dark Sky Park - Galloway forest

Scottish Dark Sky Observatory - Loch Dhoun

Glenlair - country home of James Clerk Maxwell - Parton, Castle Douglas 

Dumfries Observatory ( now a museum includes camera obscura)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get round the Nat Space Center and see everything there is to see in pretty much half a day (3-4hrs). You can spend an additional half hour to one hour in the cinema dome watching a couple of presentations if you want to. Your ticket does allow you to come back any time in the following 12mths for free. :)

Heck, if I could come visit the UK, I'd be happy to just look up at night, from anyone's garden observatory. If I start a "Go Fund Me" site, will you all chip in so I can come over for a star party?:headbang:

Here in the US, I frequently go to the Morehead Planetarium at UNC-Chapel Hill. My daughter is a student there, gives me a good excuse to visit her and see where my money is going.

Any of you guys come to NC, the Planetarium is worth the visit. One of the largest in the US, it opened in 1949; the Gemini and Apollo astronauts learned celestial mechanics there during their training.

John Flamsteed, the first Astronomer Royal, is buried at the church at Burstow in the shadow of Gatwick Airport, where he was Rector until his death. Burstow that is, not the airport...

The Royal Observatory at Greenwich, rather obviously.

And for observing, Kielder and Exmoor National Park are also renowned for their dark skies.

40 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

On a similar theme, how about Maeshowe?

Paul

1 hour ago, dick_dangerous said:

John Flamsteed, the first Astronomer Royal, is buried at the church at Burstow in the shadow of Gatwick Airport, where he was Rector until his death. Burstow that is, not the airport...

Ah, goodness.  My parents were married there and we lived close by.  I learned to ring church bells there too.  I remember a church fete  (I must have been about seven or eight at the time) where Patrick Moore was guest of honour (he lived in nearby East Grinstead at the time.)

Thanks for sparking a memory which has remained dormant for decades!

The Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium is a good place.

The planetarium is something else and uses multiple projectors to show very high powered graphics on the ceiling dome.

You can fly about all the way outside of the Oort cloud and the narrator controls the images depending where the visitors want to go.

They explain the distances and objects around the solar system in great detail.

The Science Centre itself is also very good.

Forgive me if it has been mentioned previously. But The University of Hertfordshire has an astronomy centre and an observatory. The observatory houses a half metre Newtonian if my memory is correct. You can contact them and join one of their public open evenings. This is located at Bayfordbury very near Hertford in Hertfordshie.

• 1 month later...

Can I give a plug to the Planetarium I run, in We The Curious (formerly At-Bristol Science Centre). We're the only 4k 3D Planetarium in the UK, and are running adult-only Planetarium shows most Wednesday and Thursday evenings over Winter. Here are some photos I've taken inside: 

- Lee

The Observatory Science Centre at Herstmonceux in Sussex

It's where Greenwich observatory moved to after they left Greenwich. Science museum, telescopes, open evenings, astro courses  a lot of outreach into schools and public groups. Only downside is that noone seems to be able to find it! Being an  observatory not surprisingly it is rural and the signposting is appalling

http://the-observatory.org

Easiest to find if you use the "wrong" postcode. Use BN27 1RX

Archived