Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gary Fildes, inspirational book.

cotterless45

A magical book , from bricklayer to someone who can pass on passion and inspiration. A really absorbing read and some out of the box info for us observing list geeks !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Astronomers-Tale-Bricklayers-Guide-Galaxy/dp/1780895550/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503489162&sr=1-1&keywords=gary+fildes

old Nick.

I read it recently after borrowing it from Ripon library.  It is quite a good read indeed despite being padded out by the beginners seasonal guides to the night sky.  I get the impression Gary is planning bigger and better things.  I intend to visit Kielder in November this year and witness it first hand.  Hopefully i will meet him in person.

Great book.

I was going to post about it on here..also borrowed from a library and just about to be put on extended loan! He captures the excitement of stargazing perfectly.

The seasonal guides should have been put at the back as I am skipping them to get to the autobiographical bits. Mind you, they are even worth a read as they are well written.

I enjoyed this read a few months back, the autobiographical and stargazing accounts blend together well, the transformation through passion and solid determination of the author, with a degree of good fortune is motivational. I passed it on to family members to read and circulate, as easy to read and suitable for anyone with an interest in the subject and story profile. Gary Fildes occasionally presents talks at Kielder starcamp. 

On 23/08/2017 at 17:38, Beulah said:

Great book.

I was going to post about it on here..also borrowed from a library and just about to be put on extended loan! 

Great to see two members borrowing from libraries.... I checked with my girlfriend who is library manager for 3 Worcestershire libraries and the book is available for loan in 8 libraries...

You can reserve the book online if you are a member of Worcestershire libraries... If you are not a member - Why Not??? Use them or lose them :-)

The book is a good read. It was bought for me by my brother who went to one of the open evenings at Kilder last winter. Though not an astronomer my brother said the evening was very inspiring and bought the book because Gary was such a good speaker on the subject. 

I listened to Gary when I was at Kielder Observatory a few years ago as we were clouded in...very good topic he chose with no real objections from the audience, very passionate and entertaining to listen to and introduced me to Mbombo.

Archived