Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alternative Tripod for New Skywatcher AZ Mounts

davyludo

Hi All, 

Seems to be a pretty common opinion that the tripods on the new range of Skywatcher mounts isn't really up to much (don't know if it is the same tripod for all 3 mounts, maybe someone can clarify). 

I'm curious as to what tripods people have fitted to their nice shiny new heads (and what scopes are being used on them). 

The difference between getting just the AZ5 head compared to the head and tripod is ~£60, so I'm interested to find out if it is possible to get a more stable tripod for that £60?

Personally I'm looking at getting the AZ5 and fitting it to my AZ4 tripod. However I would be interested in a lightweight tripod for quick grab and go (will be using mount with ST102 and 127 mak). Would something like the Ravelli APLT4 (cheapish on Amazon) be suitable....or would that be similar to the tripod supplied by Skywatcher?

Cheers, 

Davy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd hand photo tripods look like a sensible route. Plenty of 9kg+ capacity manfrottos on ebay for around £50. Did spot an 055 for £40 delivered, its been modified to remove the centre column but that's not a problem for the use you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-055SS-Tripod-Only-USED-/182709754218?hash=item2a8a59996a:g:sOkAAOSwtTVZitvZ

I opted for a Meade field tripod that I will modify, but that's because I will be using a Meade ETX with it as well.

I've currently got my AZ GTi on a TV Telepod tripod but am planning to mount it on a SW 1.75" stainless steel tripod soon. Your AZ4 tripod is probably the same as the one I am planning to get but you will need to mod it to attach the M10 bolt on the tripod to the 3/8ths thread on the mount. 

6 minutes ago, DRT said:

I've currently got my AZ GTi on a TV Telepod tripod but am planning to mount it on a SW 1.75" stainless steel tripod soon. Your AZ4 tripod is probably the same as the one I am planning to get but you will need to mod it to attach the M10 bolt on the tripod to the 3/8ths thread on the mount. 

Hi Derek, 

Yeah it's the steel version of the tripod that I have. I was thinking about cutting the peg off and just using a long 3/8th bolt through the M10 hole and into the new head. Or sink £50 into buying the proper adaptor that FLO are now selling. 

50 minutes ago, JonC said:

2nd hand photo tripods look like a sensible route. Plenty of 9kg+ capacity manfrottos on ebay for around £50. Did spot an 055 for £40 delivered, its been modified to remove the centre column but that's not a problem for the use you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-055SS-Tripod-Only-USED-/182709754218?hash=item2a8a59996a:g:sOkAAOSwtTVZitvZ

I opted for a Meade field tripod that I will modify, but that's because I will be using a Meade ETX with it as well.

That's good to know - thanks. I've found a few on amazon quoting 12-15kg load (which should be enough for head+scope+finder/diagonal/eyepiece)....but I don't know if these values are over exaggerated. 

20 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Yeah it's the steel version of the tripod that I have. I was thinking about cutting the peg off and just using a long 3/8th bolt through the M10 hole and into the new head. Or sink £50 into buying the proper adaptor that FLO are now selling. 

I considered the long 3/8ths bolt idea but didn't want to lose the stability added by the spreader/EP tray so have opted for the Berlebach adapter from FLO. 

5 minutes ago, DRT said:

I considered the long 3/8ths bolt idea but didn't want to lose the stability added by the spreader/EP tray so have opted for the Berlebach adapter from FLO. 

I actually sold my tray because I never use it - find with my little scopes that the tripod is really stable anyway.... may regret this in the future! :tongue2:

If I was planning on using a couple of tripods and swapping the head between them, then it might be easier to keep the current M10 rod as it has a nice handle on it to remove it....rather than having to carry about an additional tool to remove the 3/8ths bolt if I wanted to swap tripods. And also the Berlebach adaptor would mean I wasn't butchering my tripod....

1 minute ago, JonC said:

I came across this the other day as well, but couldn't quite work out if it was the right thing. 

I assume you screw it into the M10 hole in the base of the tripod and then it gives you a 3/8th thread in the tripod? 

Just now, davyludo said:

I came across this the other day as well, but couldn't quite work out if it was the right thing. 

I assume you screw it into the M10 hole in the base of the tripod and then it gives you a 3/8th thread in the tripod? 

I think an M10 bolt screws in to the bottom, you then get 3/8 on the top. Have ordered one to have a look.

Just a quick note that screwfix do nuts / bolt / threaded rod. Need to get some M6 rod on the way home

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go for an EQ5 tripod and the Berlebach adapter. It now seems much more secure than the original tripod and I am considering a second extension pillar to give it a little more height without having to extend the legs. 

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.77db42c966fccd06c5ceb87bb6913ab7.JPG

Looks great Derek!

I notice that the screws are uncovered in your dovetail clamp whereas mine has a white plate over the screws. Did you remove the white plate? I'm keen to replace the dovetail clamp with something more secure but I'm not sure if it's possible?

Thanks 

Gavin

5 hours ago, DRT said:

I decided to go for an EQ5 tripod and the Berlebach adapter. It now seems much more secure than the original tripod and I am considering a second extension pillar to give it a little more height without having to extend the legs. 

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.77db42c966fccd06c5ceb87bb6913ab7.JPG

The 1.75" steel tripod does make a massive difference. I tried the AZ5 head on it last night, was also thinking about using the extension pillar with it.

I'm also a cheap skate and didn't bother with the berlebach adaptor :tongue2:

Did you try the tripod that came with your gti?

56 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Looks great Derek!

I notice that the screws are uncovered in your dovetail clamp whereas mine has a white plate over the screws. Did you remove the white plate? I'm keen to replace the dovetail clamp with something more secure but I'm not sure if it's possible?

Thanks 

Gavin

I peeled off the white sticker to see what was underneath as I had the same thought as you about replacing the clamp. I tried that today with a Berlebach clamp that I use on my mini giro and it didn't fit. The screws on the AZi clamp are very small and very close together and seems to be non-standard. I decided to leave it alone :wink: 

7 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Did you try the tripod that came with your gti?

Yes, and wasn't happy with it. If I was hanging an ST80 and some stock eyepieces off it it wouldn't have worried me but £1,500 worth of kit hitting the ground because of a clumsy nudge or a stiff breeze just didn't appeal to me :rolleyes2: 

1 minute ago, DRT said:

Yes, and wasn't happy with it. If I was hanging an ST80 and some stock eyepieces off it it wouldn't have worried me but £1,500 worth of kit hitting the ground because of a clumsy nudge or a stiff breeze just didn't appeal to me :rolleyes2: 

Yeah that is completely understandable! 

I found the vibrations too annoying for anything more than 100x mag on my mak. I think I'll only really use the original tripod when I'm only doing wide field observations, or for binoculars maybe.

I still can't understand why Skywatcher went for this tripod option with the AZ-5 :undecided:

With the AZ-4 they got it right - a light weight aluminum tripod option for short tubed scopes and the heavier duty steel tripod version for the longer and heavier tubes. An M10 fitting so compatible with many other tripods, no need for a £60 adapter, and a groove for the north peg to slip into. Simples.

OK they have added slow motion controls and a sleeker design with the AZ-5 but, from what I've read so far, no better capacity than the AZ-4 even with a sturdy tripod (maybe even less good for longer tubes) plus a stock tripod which actually seems worse than the aluminum AZ-4 one. 

What I'd like to see is Synta building on the good points of the AZ-4 rather like Vixen did with the Porta II but it seems to be a couple of steps forward (slow motions plus style ?) with the AZ-5 and maybe 3 back with unsuitable stock tripods, no (as yet) better tripod option, and a lack of compatibility with other tripods (even Synta's own) that would be more suitable.

Very odd :icon_scratch:

2 minutes ago, John said:

I still can't understand why Skywatcher went for this tripod option with the AZ-5 :undecided:

With the AZ-4 they got it right - a light weight aluminum tripod option for short tubed scopes and the heavier duty steel tripod version for the longer and heavier tubes. An M10 fitting so compatible with many other tripods, no need for a £60 adapter, and a groove for the north peg to slip into. Simples.

OK they have added slow motion controls and a sleeker design with the AZ-5 but, from what I've read so far, no better capacity than the AZ-4 even with a sturdy tripod (maybe even less good for longer tubes) plus a stock tripod which actually seems worse than the aluminum AZ-4 one. 

What I'd like to see is Synta building on the good points of the AZ-4 rather like Vixen did with the Porta II but it seems to be a couple of steps forward (slow motions plus style ?) with the AZ-5 and maybe 3 back with unsuitable stock tripods, no (as yet) better tripod option, and a lack of compatibility with other tripods (even Synta's own) that would be more suitable.

Very odd :icon_scratch:

Completely agree John. I would have thought that the AZ5 would have  been pretty much exactly the same as the AZ4.... but with slow motion added. 

The fact it's not an M10 fixing is also quite an inconvenience. But overall, the current tripod is a complete let  down. 

The slow motion control for azimuth is also in a weird place if you're using a long scope. I find that I can just comfortably reach it with the ST102 short frac. Anything longer and it would be awkward to adjust while you were observing. 

• 4 months later...
On 26/08/2017 at 22:03, DRT said:

I peeled off the white sticker to see what was underneath as I had the same thought as you about replacing the clamp. I tried that today with a Berlebach clamp that I use on my mini giro and it didn't fit. The screws on the AZi clamp are very small and very close together and seems to be non-standard. I decided to leave it alone :wink: 

Hi @DRT :) Are you able to please measure what the spacing is between the screws on the GTi and if you think the screws are a standard size e.g. M6?

I was wondering if you could replace with something like this https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7887_TS-Optics-Optics-XL-Premium-Dovetail-Clamp-adaption-for-big-telescopes-and-cameras.html

or something similar

4 hours ago, festoon said:

Hi @DRT :) Are you able to please measure what the spacing is between the screws on the GTi and if you think the screws are a standard size e.g. M6?

I was wondering if you could replace with something like this https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7887_TS-Optics-Optics-XL-Premium-Dovetail-Clamp-adaption-for-big-telescopes-and-cameras.html

or something similar

Hi,

I'm not able to get to it at the moment (just had a knee replacement!) but from what I remember the holes are much closer together than a standard clamp and I think the screws are M4. I took the clamp off because I had exactly the same thought as you about replacing it but it just didn't look possible without some significant modification to the clamp. I also didn't fancy trying to attach anything more substantial than the existing clap using such small screws.

Hope that helps.

Derek 

Hi Derek,

Thank you for replying :) I very much hope you recover soon from your operation :)

I think with a couple of modifications the GTI could be a fantastic and popular mount for astronomy. Such improving the vixen clamp, having a small optional counterweight bar, and a better tripod. Makes me wonder why OVL haven't released such a product. I guess its to keep the cost down - but as optional extras, and as proven on this thread some would have no problems paying more for such a product.

If when you are feeling better, you have the time, please let me know if you can measure up the screws that hold the clamp :)

Cheers :)

11 hours ago, festoon said:

Hi Derek,

Thank you for replying :) I very much hope you recover soon from your operation :)

I think with a couple of modifications the GTI could be a fantastic and popular mount for astronomy. Such improving the vixen clamp, having a small optional counterweight bar, and a better tripod. Makes me wonder why OVL haven't released such a product. I guess its to keep the cost down - but as optional extras, and as proven on this thread some would have no problems paying more for such a product.

If when you are feeling better, you have the time, please let me know if you can measure up the screws that hold the clamp :)

Cheers :)

Thanks and will do :wink: 

Archived