Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alternative Tripod for New Skywatcher AZ Mounts

davyludo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, DRT said:

Thanks @Stu - recovery going well but going in for the second knee to be done at end of Jan ?

Good stuff, good and bad I guess, but good to get them both done and out of the way. Hope to see you sometime this year!

On 05/01/2018 at 08:23, festoon said:

Hi Derek,

Thank you for replying :) I very much hope you recover soon from your operation :)

I think with a couple of modifications the GTI could be a fantastic and popular mount for astronomy. Such improving the vixen clamp, having a small optional counterweight bar, and a better tripod. Makes me wonder why OVL haven't released such a product. I guess its to keep the cost down - but as optional extras, and as proven on this thread some would have no problems paying more for such a product.

If when you are feeling better, you have the time, please let me know if you can measure up the screws that hold the clamp :)

Cheers :)

The clamp is fixed to the mount with 4 x M4 countersunk screws with Philips heads in a square formation with the screw centres 20mm apart.

I think the biggest problem is that all of the upgrade clamps I've seen take M6 or M8 bolts. The screw heads on the M4 bolts on this mount would just fall through the holes in the clamp or would require washers, which just doesn't feel like an improvement to me. 

Archived