SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PS: you're dumped.

MARS1960

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 For PaintShopPro - It has all the features of PS and runs plug-ins etc etc

Alan - Why did you only give it five minutes?????? The layout is not that dissimilar to PS.........

47 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

+1 For PaintShopPro - It has all the features of PS and runs plug-ins etc etc

Alan - Why did you only give it five minutes?????? The layout is not that dissimilar to PS.........

I did want to like it but loading in a RAW file there was so much clutter on the screen, I did spend some time clicking to get rid of things like the organizer and clutter only to find it all there again on the adjust screen. The bottom line was I couldn't figure out what to do with the RAW file after adjustment and how to import it into the main photo adjustment screen. With PS it was a couple of clicks to adjust and one click to open image in the main application.

Alan

PaintShop Pro out of the box does unfortunately seem to load every possible floating menu, so time has to spent customising, but that's a one time only.

For photo use a raw is imported, adjustments made to gain as much dynamic range as possible, then the OK button pressed to go into the main Editor.

I've used it for years as I found PS Elements counter-intuitive, but that's me.

Michael

9 hours ago, michael8554 said:

PaintShop Pro out of the box does unfortunately seem to load every possible floating menu, so time has to spent customising, but that's a one time only.

For photo use a raw is imported, adjustments made to gain as much dynamic range as possible, then the OK button pressed to go into the main Editor.

I've used it for years as I found PS Elements counter-intuitive, but that's me.

Michael

And of course with Elements, not every process is 16 bit, some are 8 bit. It's one reason why I went for PWPro. No, honestly, I have no association with Digital Light and Color :).

There's also DxO. Never tried it, but it might be another option.

Ian

As I have never been able to justify the subscription to Ps and that I switched to Linux after the debacle of Windows ME I have always used Gimp.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread Gimp does require a learning period but once leaned it becomes quite intuitive, in fact when I've used Ps on other people's computers I find it difficult and clunky. So it's obviously a case of what you are used to.

For me Gimp has all the functionality I need and most importantly it's free, ( I occasionally send a small donation to help development ).

I do believe that some people think that because it's free ( open source software ) it must be second rate, but the truth is that it's quite often the same engineers that are employed to develop the paid for versions that work on the Open Source versions in their spare time.

So spend a bit of time learning Gimp as you did with Ps and I'm sure you'll find it just as good.

I've used PaintshopPro since Jasc gave it away free on Computer mag CDs back in the 90s. I paid £19.99 two months back for a full release 9 download.  You can get Niks custom plugins free Google bought them.

Just downloaded the free trial for Affinity Photo (I did run the original beta) and I was hard pushed to see the difference from Photoshop, initial impression is it will be an easy move,, it has lots of useful features and does seem to take into account public feedback, RAW files loaded seamlessly and are easy to convert but I am not sure if the lens correction data is up to PS standards.

Alan 

The problems I had with GIMP were three-fold:

It feels very old, it doesn't take advantage of modern bigger monitors with space.

The defaults can be infuriating and hard to find a way out of. I DON'T want to save any images in native GIMP format. Ever!

Documentation is, as with all open source, chaotic. The only way to find out how to do things is the web, but although there's loads of advice out there, it's usually for older versions...

29 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Just downloaded the free trial for Affinity Photo (I did run the original beta) and I was hard pushed to see the difference from Photoshop, initial impression is it will be an easy move,, it has lots of useful features and does seem to take into account public feedback, RAW files loaded seamlessly and are easy to convert but I am not sure if the lens correction data is up to PS standards.

Alan 

I did just that yesterday, haven't had much time to play yet but so far it's looking good.

I`m trialing Acdsee Ultimate 10 at the minute and finding it the dogs whatsits. The lens correction works perfectly , raws load almost instantly (Unlike Affinity) and I`ve just received an offer from them for the Ultimate pack cheaper than Ultimate 10 on its own although what I`d do with a copy for Mac I`m not sure ?, very tempted!.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just a quick update and thank you to all those for their suggestions.

I decided after a short period that i would buy Affinity photo, i find it easy to use and it has every thing i need for my general photography needs.

It is similar to PS but i find it more intuitive and also adjustments and live filter layers have their own mask so i don't need to use separate layer masks, bonus.

The inpainting tool is brilliant for removing those pesky unwanted bits.

I really like this software, much more geared to my needs and a very good price.

Cheers all.

31 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Hi guys,

I decided after a short period that i would buy Affinity photo, i find it easy to use and it has every thing i need for my general photography needs.

It is similar to PS but i find it more intuitive and also adjustments and live filter layers have their own mask so i don't need to use separate layer masks, bonus.

I really like this software, much more geared to my needs and a very good price.

Cheers all.

I does have a very nice focus stacking tool too :icon_biggrin:

Alan

43 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Hi guys,

Cheers all.

I'm just getting started with Layers, myself. Adobe Elements 12.

Does Affinity Photo allow for edit/removal (reverting) of the layers it can generate?

I sometimes wind up backing up, or going back and forth, looking at what a mess I've made. :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, SonnyE said:

I'm just getting started with Layers, myself. Adobe Elements 12.

Does Affinity Photo allow for edit/removal (reverting) of the layers it can generate?

I sometimes wind up backing up, or going back and forth, looking at what a mess I've made. :icon_biggrin:

Yes it does, you can edit layers or even edit layers in layers.

1 hour ago, MARS1960 said:

Yes it does, you can edit layers or even edit layers in layers.

And we aren't talking chickens here.

Sounds really good Mark!

8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

You can trial it for free.

Alan

Thanks Alan!

I was just curious about that since it appears it makes the layers itself.

I was J/K about the chickens part. Layers, as in egg layers. :tongue2:

• 5 months later...

I have got the plugins working in PaintShopPro x7 x9 and 2018 under W10 64bit.

Only PSP 32 bit flavours actually find the plugins as they are 32bit ones.

I downloaded a 64 bit version of HDVG though Gradient Exterminator wasn't free to get the 64 bit version just discounted as I already have the 32 bit version so I'll pass on that. So 64bit PSP is now sorted too.

(sorry maybe not the right thread I was putting and update in)

I'm a pro artworker (earning not enough moolah for the CC Suite monthly subscription) and have recently migrated to Affinity Photo and Designer (two programs). The reason why I migrated is that my ancient CS5 is very clunky and buggy in Win10 pro 64.

Only £49 apiece and very powerful tools. Apart from Canon RAW and Adobe Bridge, I'd say Affinity Photo is as good as Adobe. RAW & DNG editing, Non destructive editing, fast, the lot. Currently working on some landscape astro with a great deal of success...stacking's a wee bit iffy but we have DSS for that.

13 hours ago, Beulah said:

I'm a pro artworker (earning not enough moolah for the CC Suite monthly subscription) and have recently migrated to Affinity Photo and Designer (two programs). The reason why I migrated is that my ancient CS5 is very clunky and buggy in Win10 pro 64.

Only £49 apiece and very powerful tools. Apart from Canon RAW and Adobe Bridge, I'd say Affinity Photo is as good as Adobe. RAW & DNG editing, Non destructive editing, fast, the lot. Currently working on some landscape astro with a great deal of success...stacking's a wee bit iffy but we have DSS for that.

Couldn't agree more.

Iv'e had Affinity photo since just after i started this thread and i love it, easiest PP software i have ever used but also packed with great stuff.

Oooooh and Niks plugins is great :happy11:.

Archived