Narrowband

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

1 hour ago, nigelg said:

You will need to leave a gap around the edges as these tiles expand quite a bit (if we ever have a summer)

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. If we have a summer like last year, stopping them melting may be as much of a concern. ?

35 minutes ago, Gina said:

I used 6mm ply to line my warm room walls and ceiling - quite sufficient.

Yeah I was wondering whether 6 would be ok, but there seems to be so little difference in price that I thought I'd go with 9. I'll take another look though before I get the wallet out!

The other thought is that if I went with 6 it wouldn't be over-engineered, which would break the habit of a lifetime ?

I'll definitely be using 6 for the warm room ceiling as there's not much headroom as it is ie. none!

Edited by Astrokev

I think if the internal skin is just to cover the structure then 6mm is probably fine.  If you want to actually fix things to it then I'd be tempted to go for something a bit thicker unless you can work to the positions of the timber in the framework (or add extras where you think you'll need them).

James

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I think if the internal skin is just to cover the structure then 6mm is probably fine.  If you want to actually fix things to it then I'd be tempted to go for something a bit thicker unless you can work to the positions of the timber in the framework (or add extras where you think you'll need them).

James

I think I will be attaching some things on the walls, but will probably use the studding. I'll certainly reconsider before taking the plunge. 

• Like 1

You've probably thought of that already, but I'm glad I marked where the studding is on the top and bottom of the ply and where cables run inside the wall. It made attaching things to the walls much easier.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yesyes said:

You've probably thought of that already, but I'm glad I marked where the studding is on the top and bottom of the ply and where cables run inside the wall. It made attaching things to the walls much easier.

Yes I was going to do that (been bitten by that one on another project!), but thanks for the reminder Chris :) 

23 hours ago, JamesF said:

James

I think I will be attaching some things on the walls, but will probably use the studding. I'll certainly reconsider before taking the plunge. 

No work done outside today - too cold to paint. I did calculate how many sheets of ply I need to line both rooms and the warm room ceiling. I reckon 12 full size sheets should do it. More money than I hoped, but then isn't everything linked with this hobby ?. Just need to finalise what gauge to get ?

12 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I was surprised that it was as many as twelve sheets as that's what I've guesstimated for mine, but the difference must be down to your walls being higher than mine.

James

Hmm, interesting ?. This includes 2 sheets to make an internal door, so maybe that's why. In my drawings (Sketchup) there's not a lot of spare. Maybe I should check I haven't drawn things to the wrong dims though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesF said:

Ah.  I've not thought about the internal door yet, so I've not allowed for that.

James

D'oh, I mis-counted. The number I need is 11 sheets. It was 12 originally, but then I played jigsaws with all the left over bits and managed to reduce it by one. The saving will pay for the delivery at least!

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1

Just now, Merlin66 said:

James,

To save space, I went for a sliding door ........

That's something I have been considering, along with a pair of doors or even bifold doors, though bifold doors are quite a faff.  I think I have a fair way to go yet before I need to worry about the internal door though.  I imagine it will be one of the last things to go in.

James

Space saving partition door? :icon_idea:

Cat flap? :huh2:

What about a portcullis? :icon_clown:

Up and over garage door? :icon_rolleyes:

Plastic strip warehouse door [for the forklift?] ?‍♂️

For when you next upgrade your mounting? :laugh2:

43 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Space saving partition door? :icon_idea:

Cat flap? :huh2:

What about a portcullis? :icon_clown:

Up and over garage door? :icon_rolleyes:

Plastic strip warehouse door [for the forklift?] ?‍♂️

For when you next upgrade your mounting? :laugh2:

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? ?. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm going for a standard hinged internal door. (Partly cos I've already got the hinges and the hole in the wall!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? ?.
Call me a traditionalist, but I'm going for a standard hinged internal door.
(Partly cos I've already got the hinges and the hole in the wall!)

It's always good to be prepared. :laugh2:

I've got doors too. Ever so carefully planed they were.

Now they're blocked by the handrails of the warehouse stepladder and the open wooden hatch.

Circuses are crying out for my skills as a contortionist.  :icon_clown:

• Haha 1