Narrowband

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

55 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Honestly no, not that one anyway. I will admit that I am going by his TV appearances mostly, but he seems to spend most of his time saying the same thing in 50 different ways, so that if you got it the first time it gets annoying. I am a physicist myself so perhaps I am looking at it with a different perspective to the masses mind you.

Yes, I tend to agree with you for his TV shows - either that or staring into the middle distance from a mountain top. Still better than EastEnders though.

Of those I've read, his books are pretty well written in my opinion. The one I'm currently ploughing through is Universal - A Guide to the Cosmos. The one about quantum theory I've yet to complete is The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen. Maybe I should try Hawking; apart from Brief History... I've not read any of his work.

Few more pieces of the jigsaw put up this afternoon. The cold gets to you after a while though and destroys your motivation, so packed up while I was ahead. Only a few more bits to finish in the scope room, then will start on the warm room, which is starting to feel quite cosy now the internal wall is going up. :) 

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 3

Probably time I started using my observatory again with clear night skies.  Need to sort out an imaging rig.  Of course, by the time I've done that the cloud and rain will be back...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gina said:

Probably time I started using my observatory again with clear night skies.  Need to sort out an imaging rig.  Of course, by the time I've done that the cloud and rain will be back...

But if you don't sort it out then next time there's a clear night you won't be able to use it :)

James

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Looking very nice, Kev.  Have you had any thoughts about lighting yet?

James

Not in any detail. I want red and white lights -  thinking maybe an LED strip around the scope room. I think you can get them with selectable colours? If not then 2 strips. Not sure about warm room, but obviously need both red and white. 

Interested to hear what others gave done and any recommendations :) 

42 minutes ago, Gina said:

I didn't bother lining the scope room in my observatory - only the warm room.

Yeah, I was undecided. In the end I opted to line it, really just to neaten it up and make it a little easier to clean. The nooks and crannies in exposed studding makes a lovely home for the creepy crawlies ?

I have recently been toying with the idea of putting some normal LED spotlights in the roll-off roof, so that if I want lighting in the scope room to work by then it can be from above rather than the side (because my walls are only 1500mm high).  I just need to work out how to allow for the movement of the roof.

James

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I have recently been toying with the idea of putting some normal LED spotlights in the roll-off roof, so that if I want lighting in the scope room to work by then it can be from above rather than the side (because my walls are only 1500mm high).  I just need to work out how to allow for the movement of the roof.

James

Yes, I briefly thought of doing something similar but decided against because my walls are pretty high. Thinking of how to wire it up will be really interesting

21 minutes ago, RayD said:

I've used LED strip lights in my warm room and they work great.  Use the waterproof ones like these and they will be fine in the scope room too.

Thanks Ray. They look good. I assume there is a white option too?

16 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks Ray. They look good. I assume there is a white option too?

Yes there is, Kev, but if you want super bright or very white then RGBW is better than just RGB as they have a separate white Led, but I've not had an issue. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

James

James - thinking about your idea, you could use an energy chain cable carrier, sometimes called a drag chain? We used to use these in some machines in a previous place I worked and would work ok

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Yes there is, Kev, but if you want super bright or very white then RGBW is better than just RGB as they have a separate white Led, but I've not had an issue. 

@Yawning Angel @RayD

RGBW - great thanks. Looking forward to getting some lights in. Installing some electric first would probably be useful then ?

They look a lot like some of the chains people use to get cabling to the hot end of 3d printers, Kev.  Something along those lines might work well.  I'll think about this a bit more.  It's not like I'm in a rush :D

James

I use 12v LED strips on dimmer switches in the warm room - works very well.  I also have a red bulkhead light.  In the scope room i have a white bulkhead with the switch in the warm room.

Dimmers are these: Dimmer switch  (of which I bought four I think - useful to have a few spares! ),  LED's come in just about every shape and size imaginable!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

I use 12v LED strips on dimmer switches in the warm room - works very well.  I also have a red bulkhead light.  In the scope room i have a white bulkhead with the switch in the warm room.

Dimmers are these: Dimmer switch  (of which I bought four I think - useful to have a few spares! ),  LED's come in just about every shape and size imaginable!

Dimmer switches sound a great idea. Thanks for the link