Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

I had no idea my comment would be taken seriously. 

I think I was teasing because Kev was so close to completion.

"You don't want to do it like that," sort of style.  :biggrin:

Since we are <cough> pushing boundaries:  What about making a giant drawer slide?

Has it ever been done?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gina said:

everything was easier with the rails on the fixed part.

Don't see why really Gina?  I guess it's a six or 2 three's ? once positioned and roof on apart from exposed rear wheels it all does the same task only more water proof. But it wouldn't do to all be the same now would it ?

Wheels upside down will work, but you increase the likelihood of dirt, debris and general grime (birdy door dahs) getting on the wheels' running surface and causing running issues.  More of an issue if powered, but still avoidable by having them on the rolling section.

With the ROR rolling off over the warm room it follows that the fixed part is longer.  If the roof has the rails there must be more wheels to cover the distance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Wheels upside down will work, but you increase the likelihood of dirt, debris and general grime (birdy door dahs) getting on the wheels' running surface and causing running issues. 

Surely there is more surface area to the rails then to top of a wheel ? So less chance of running obstacles in my opinion.

Just now, LeeRich said:

Surely there is more surface area to the rails then to top of a wheel ? So less chance of running obstacles in my opinion.

Indeed, but wiping a rail clean is easier than wiping 6 wheels.

Just now, RayD said:

Indeed, but wiping a rail clean is easier than wiping 6 wheels.

Flicking the odd bird doo off a wheel or two is much easier then wiping down a good 8ft or so of 2 rails in my book ?

1 minute ago, RayD said:

As with many things on these forums, there is no definitive right or wrong way, just one which, on balance, suits the application best.

Totally agree Ray, and for me this idea "brought forward earlier" was how I did it and it worked a treat for many years but more importantly it stopped any water ingress issues arising like what happened to Kev. That's the great thing about forums like you say. Information and tried and tested ideas make for a better project. ?

It is not beyond the wit of man to come up with alternatives to level, exposed rails.

A rather serious pivot could hinge the rails downwards when the roof is closed.

Instead of twin "mill races" you get a self cleaning pair of "rat runs." :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Rusted said:

It is not beyond the wit of man to come up with alternatives to level, exposed rails.

A rather serious pivot could hinge the rails downwards when the roof is closed.

Instead of twin "mill races" you get a self cleaning pair of "rat runs." :biggrin:

Definitely.  However, I think for most, and certainly me when I built mine, simplicity, reliability and cost play big factors, and not necessarily in that order.

For speed and cheapness my plastic shed is good as the roof bolts down as per original design preserving the weatherproof integrity.
The wheels run in channels exposed to the weather but haven't been any problem in all the years it's been up.

I did chicken out of trying to roll it open with 2 foot of snow on it :grin:

Dave

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

The wheels run in channels exposed to the weather but haven't been any problem in all the years it's been up

Dito Davey, also it's pretty acceptable to assume that after a lot of planning and hard work putting inferior quality wheels on that would not stand up to British weather would be just madness.  

4 hours ago, Astrokev said:

That's not including minor landscape work to tidy things up - chipping, a path to the door, a stone step.... (but they don't count ?). I'm sure to have forgotten something though!

Oh, and digging a trench for electrics. 

Actually, it seems I've got loads to do still ?

Yes, it's some of the landscaping-type work and stuff like that that I'm dreading most of all the things I have left to do on mine.  The electrics obviously have to be sorted, but I think the path from the house and suchlike might end up taking a fair while longer :D

James

Wow, you turn your back for a minute and your thread gets swamped with replies and feedback!

During my design phase I did briefly consider putting the wheels on the bottom but ruled this out - can't remember exactly why. Thinking about it again, I still prefer the wheels on top approach (not just because that's what I ended up doing). Apart from the cleaning and water ingress issues, the rail on the top would have to "engage" with each new wheel it encounters as it's rolled off. Probably not a major challenge but maybe a small risk of the rail not mating with the wheel correctly which potentially could be problematic. 

I cant remember seeing any builds using this approach on the forum, which may tell us something. Agree with other comments though that there are many ways of building a ROR. There's no right or wrong; minor design variations to combat the various risks usually mean the end result is a success. It's also fantastic to see people use different approaches. 

3 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Probably not a major challenge but maybe a small risk of the rail not mating with the wheel correctly which potentially could be problematic.

Mmm i did notice this exact issue with mine Kev but it was easily remedied with giving both ends of the rails a very slight angle, after this alteration it was a 99% seamless contact but then i did have 7 wheels at each side which probably helped

;)