Narrowband

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

Quick update on today's progress.

Finished the panelling on the warm room ceiling and installed the first wall panel under the window. After putting the insulation into the wall gap, and taking the picture, I secured it in place with a strip of the sticky-backed foil tape to ensure it doesn't slip down over time. I don't think this would have been a problem as it's a pretty snug fit, and the roughish surface of the ply grips the rockwool fibres quite well, but I had the tape lying around so it's really just belt and braces.

Now that the warm room is starting to look like a room, I've started considering where to put the small "desk / bench" to sit at. I was originally going to put it under the window, and so had put the cable conduits under where this will be. Now I look at it, I'm wondering whether putting the desk across the far end may be better use of the space, which means the bigger conduit pipe is a bit in the way. Will need to give this some thought ?

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5280.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gina said:

I have my (fitted) bench under the window where it will get best light in daytime.

Yes that's a thought, although because the window faces due south, I'd be staring straight into the sun during the middle part of the day. 

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

Looks good. But, is that moisture I see in the corner between the conduit and the counterweights? Or maybe just miscoloured wood?

Thanks. 

Fortunately it's the latter! I painted the timbers around the base framework with creocote before I put the vapour barrier and cladding on. This does look like wet wood and has caught me out more than once!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Yes that's a thought, although because the window faces due south, I'd be staring straight into the sun during the middle part of the day. 

I know it is adding jobs and expense to the list but, how a bout a little retractable awning above the window?

A south facing window is a heat magnet in sunshine and completely intolerable to sit there. 
That's why people detest being in greenhouses and conservatories without serious shade.
Or any work or office space anywhere near a sunny window.
You can't hang a monitor from a window. Nor fit shelves or working surfaces there.
The window is a waste of vital space and a security risk. IMHO.

Once the sun gets though the glass it is far too late. The heat is in and cannot be undone.
The sun is blindingly bright and reflects off everything.  It spoils books and charts and equipment where the sun can reach.
Sunshine makes using any computer screen a nightmare even if you deliberately wear black clothing.

Site your desk so you can see what needs to be seen without turning. Never with your back to the entrance nor the telescope.
Make sure you aren't blocked from accessing the entire space in the pitch dark.
Power cut? You need a torch which is returned to its allotted space every single time it gets used.

An observatory and warm[er] room is not a 'power 'office to impress the underlings. It's an active workshop.
Which means you need desk space/working surface for far more than just the computer/keyboard/laptop or screen.
It's a warm[er] room where you'll want sit down in good light to work on or handle smaller equipment or just keep it from dewing.

I thought it would be so simple to furnish an observatory.
Until I actually tried it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

I know it is adding jobs and expense to the list but, how a bout a little retractable awning above the window?

Thanks. I've been building this thing for nearly 2 years, so what's another few days ?. My budget was blown months ago so a little more expense now is not really a problem!

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rusted said:

A south facing window is a heat magnet in sunshine and completely intolerable to sit there. 

So I gather you're not a fan of windows then ?.

The window is on the internal dividing wall, not an exterior wall, so security is not an issue. I can partially close the ROR which can provide shade if needed, or alternatively close it completely if I'm not imaging. Alternatively, I could easily install an exterior blind of some sort.

Edited by Astrokev

Apologies, Kev. :blush:

I got all wound up at the mere idea of a south facing window.
I've been tilting [at] them for decades at home and work!
Rocinante is sick of them too!  :icon_clown:

A louver of horizontal slats would still let you see the scope.
No need for the usual sloping slats because the obs. walls will give shade with a low sun.

Edited by Rusted
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Apologies, Kev. :blush:

I got all wound up at the mere idea of a south facing window.
I've been tilting [at] them for decades at home and work!
Rocinante is sick of them too!  :icon_clown:

A louver of horizontal slats would still let you see the scope.
No need for the usual sloping slats because the obs. walls will give shade with a low sun.

No worries ?

The window is mainly so I can keep an eye on the scope at night. During the day, if I use the warm room it'll be just to let a bit of natural light in and, as said, I can always close the roof if it gets too bright.

i doubt I'll use the warm room as a workshop per se, but who knows  

• Like 1

Anyone getting bored yet with pictures of insulation and ply sheets? (please don't answer that)

Had a good astro buddy visit today, and an impromptu visit by my daughter and grandson, so, not much got done on the observatory. But that's OK - quality time spent with family and friends is worth it.

After they left I did squeeze in an hour to install the next sheet of ply in the warm room. I also cut the piece to go above the one in the pic, but didn't have time to finish it before the light disappeared. Small progress but one sheet closer to having all the walls lined!

IMG_5287.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Get thee a light rigged up Kev. Even a work light on an extension lead. Lengthens the working day considerably!

Yes I guess I could do that, but when the light goes it's also the time to start indoor jobs like getting ready to cook the evening meal for my kids for when they get in from work :( . No peace for the wicked!

7 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Yes I guess I could do that, but when the light goes it's also the time to start indoor jobs like getting ready to cook the evening meal for my kids for when they get in from work :( . No peace for the wicked!

Your kids need to get their priorities right! They should be rushing home from work to feed you so that you can continue slaving away over your obsy build.

Youth of today eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, JamesF said:

I didn't realise you still had family at home, Kev (other than the daughter(?) at uni).  I thought that was how you got away with using the dining table as an extra workbench :)

James

Yes, chicks still haven't fled the nest!

1 son and 1 daughter at home (now working), 1 daughter at uni (graduates this year) and my eldest daughter who lives several miles away with my lovely 18 month old grandson. Gave him a guided tour of the observatory the other day and he loved it! 

Regarding the dining table, it only gets used for eating on special occasions. Fortunately we eat in the kitchen most days!

Edited by Astrokev

5 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Visiting my daughter in Cornwall at the moment, and enjoying the Falmouth rain. Not much activity on the observatory this weekend then!

The handy thing about building in Cornwall is that you can use the rain as a spirit level.

James

• Haha 4

After a few days off whilst travelling down in the west country, a few more exciting pictures of plywood lining in the warm room! Although I only had a small amount of time this afternoon, it feels good to be progressing with the build once more... 

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5372.jpg

• Like 1

Few more bits of ply put up this afternoon - no pics taken though. 

Didn't spend long out there, partly because I've run out of insulation, and partly because I need to prepare an early dinner this evening. We're off to see Prof Brian Cox tonight in Peterborough. Woo-hoo! ?

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1