Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ok guys,

So I was reading an article in Astronomy magazine about finding and viewing Pluto. According to them, Pluto can be viewed with an 8" scope and great conditions coming up next week to mid July....supposedly. It will be transiting nearly in front of a star (I'll have to find the SAO #, don't have the magazine with me at the moment) making it a little easier to find I'm guessing?

I haven't seen any posts about the little fella (didn't look very hard). So who has seen it? I'm imagining a dark shadow about the size of a grain of sand. I have an 8se and I plan driving a little ways to get to high ground and better my chances if future skies cooperate. But not gonna try if it wouldn't be worth it.

I think I spotted it in my 8SE a while back.. stars lined up according to starwalk and starmap pro but who knows, might have been a star... still it'll only be a faint point of light.

good luck

I've had a look on sky safari and Pluto is in Sagittarius north east of the teapot at the moment, so will be at its best later in the summer.

It's apparently magnitude 14.2 or so which sounds quite tough, needing good conditions and enough aperture.

It looks like it moves across the sky with enough speed that you could pick it out by its movement over a few nights if you are able to see it.

I've seen a couple of the moons of Uranus with my 12" dob which were close to mag 14. Easier to track their positions than Pluto though. I think you would need to observe the suspect star field, sketch it, then repeat over a few nights to be sure of Pluto.

I found very high magnifications helped with the faint moons BTW but you would need to be sure of your target star field to use this with Pluto.

I'd love to confirm Pluto : close to a mag 8.2 star on Tuesday July 11.  There's another star south almost collinear to help identify.  A similar scenario happens on 2nd Sept:

Screenshot_2017-07-01-22-56-56.thumb.png.00b091621c3e2c28647e787ee53fc1cb.png

Screenshot_2017-07-01-23-02-21.thumb.png.40b25cb7e4cf12f677f8de39ceb9d874.png

That's great info. I've always wanted to see  Pluto and this seems like and excellent chance.

I would need to get somewhere dark enough to get to Mag 14.2 with the C925 and that could be tricky!

On 6/26/2017 at 18:04, Paz said:

It's apparently magnitude 14.2 or so which sounds quite tough, needing good conditions and enough aperture.

It looks like it moves across the sky with enough speed that you could pick it out by its movement over a few nights if you are able to see it.

That sounds like a good plan if I can even find it. That's gonna be tough to spot,  I've had trouble finding mag 9 +. Luckily it stays quite clear here so a few nights might be doable. 

I can get down to around mag 14 on point sources with my 12" dob. If and when Pluto is well placed (higher in the sky the better) then I might be in with a chance.

Archived