Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sharpless 2-73 in Hercules - LRGB

gnomus

This is a new image from DSW in NM.  Sharpless 2-73 in the constellation of Hercules.  The Internet tells me that Sh 2-73 was initially thought to be an HII emission nebula. It is now, however, considered to be a molecular cloud of gas and dust.  Details are:

• Imaging Location: Deep Sky West facility - New Mexico
  • Dates: Several nights in May 2017 - end date 25 May 2017
  • Scope: Takahashi FS1 106
  • Camera: QSI 683 WSG9
  • Filters: LRGB Astrodon
  • Mount: Paramount MyT
  • Data: Lum - 24 x 900s; Red - 18 x 900s; Green - 16 x 900s; Blue - 22 x 900s - A total of 20 hours exposure
  • Processing: PixInsight and Adobe Photoshop

01_Sh2-73_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.bfa25d2e0c6b1fe322cd2cf2593622ff.jpg

It can also be seen here:

get.jpg

I did wonder why this was a Sharpless but if it was once thought to be HII then I can see why. I think we can safely say that your image rules out that possibility! It's absolutely first class and nicely original.

Olly

5 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Super work Steve, like a blanket of spiderweb across the fabric of space.  Top drawer processing.

Thanks very much Paddy.  This was one of my suggested objects as it were, so I was quite pleased to see that the data was of good quality. 

Just now, gnomus said:

Thanks very much Paddy.  This was one of my suggested objects as it were, so I was quite pleased to see that the data was of good quality. 

Great suggestion - I have been waiting for the dust for a while, looking forward to having a go myself soon.

Just now, PatrickGilliland said:

Great suggestion - I have been waiting for the dust for a while, looking forward to having a go myself soon.

Try not to show me up too much :icon_salut:

Very interesting and unusual target Steve.  Processing faint dust I find very difficult as a trade-off is needed with the other elements of the composition and I think you've kept a delicate balance between all of the elements in this image.  Well processed and top marks.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Steve that is absolutely spectacular if I may say so.  Especially under out Nottinghamshire skies.  Well done, you're becoming the imaging Jedi master!!! :)

Thanks Steve.  The image was processed under Nottinghamshire skies but the data came from New Mexico.  Jabba the Hut maybe, but not Jedi am I.

Archived