Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

After many weeks of telescopes gathering dust I finally managed a long night sketching under the stars. 

Having only ever sketched open clusters I wanted to attempt a GC. Hercules was well positioned so I chose to draw m92, often overshadowed by the more famous m13. 

My red torch was a little too bright and there was some intermittent cloud but the sketch comes pretty close to what I saw. All comments / criticisms / comparisons most welcome!

Jack

p.s. As I was packing up around midnight I saw what I can only assume were parts of a meteorite breaking up in the sky. A long trail of five to ten separate glowing dots moved eastward through cygnus toward the horison. It was like watching several satellites following each other in an absolutely straight line. Anyone else see this or remember something similar? 

STAR NERDZ.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wonderful sketch Jack, very nicely done sir!

Pretty sure what you saw would have been the Starlink satellites recently launched by SpaceX. 60 satellites all in a row, slowly dispersing as I understand it. Must have been amazing to see.

https://gizmodo.com/breathtaking-view-of-spacex-starlink-satellite-train-1835047155

Thanks Stu! That’s exactly what I saw! I love this forum 🤗

• Like 1

14 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Fantastic sketch of M92 ! I got to get out soon and do some looking . We been having nothing but cloudy skies and rain for the last two months . :( 

Thanks! I'm sure you'll get clear skies soon - I'd swap the UK weather for Texas any day!

• Like 1

Great sketch. M92 is always overlooked by M13 as you say, and yet it's beautiful isn't it?

I was lucky enough to get out last night and enjoyed seeing the globular clusters M3, M5, and M10 and M12, but I'm pretty sure when I look at them I would make a complete mess of trying to sketch them, so haven't tried yet. Maybe next time. Very inspiring! Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2019 at 12:31, Lurcher said:

Great sketch. M92 is always overlooked by M13 as you say, and yet it's beautiful isn't it?

I was lucky enough to get out last night and enjoyed seeing the globular clusters M3, M5, and M10 and M12, but I'm pretty sure when I look at them I would make a complete mess of trying to sketch them, so haven't tried yet. Maybe next time. Very inspiring! Thanks for posting.

Thank you! I'd haven't spent much time in Ophiuchus - will have a hunt for M10 & M12 next time I get the chance and try a sketch. 

Definitely give it a go - it's never going to be completely accurate with something as complex as a globular cluster but its fun to take something away as a memory. 

• Like 1