Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
artoleus

24/05/2017 chalked up to a learning experience.

The struggles of a beginner learning how to use the equipment.  :-)

1. Pointed mount North and Levelled EQ6 pro mount 8:30 pm
  2. Attached wireless release, 2" nose and UHC filter to Nikon DSLR
  3. Attached scope and camera, balanced scope for camera use
  4. Collimated the telescope -took 40 minutes of messing around
  5. Waited until dark.  Took the dogs for a walk around the field to pass the time
  6. Polar aligned using the mobile app and sighting against Ursa major.
  7. Rebalanced DEC for eyepiece rather than camera
  8. 3 star alignment. 1st star was way off and took ages to get it in the eyepiece
  9. Restarted 3 star alignment. - Selected a star behind a house.
  10. Restarted 3 star alignment -complete.
  11. Checked collimation using a bright star - perfect (should bloody be after 40 minutes!) 
  12. Tried to fine adjust polar alignment using a method discovered online (not drift- I don't think I have the patience.)  Didn't work.
  13. Restarted 3 star alignment then used the polar alignment on SynScan
  14. Took a look at Jupiter was great to look at but not what I set out to do, I want DS images...
  15. Attached camera
  16. Used live view (LV) to try to focus stars
  17. Pointed the scope at M3 and took a 2 minute exposure
  18. Tried again with a 4 minute exposure
  19. SD card failed.  Lost some family pics, grrr Now I have to explain to my partner that it wasn't because of Astronomy, these things just happen. 
  20. Replaced SD card
  21. Took some cautious 1 minute exposures of M90 expecting the camera to explode
  22. Pictures were faint so moved to 4 minute with a little more confidence telling myself SD card failures can just happen.
  23. Noticed star trails
  24. Located a bright star
  25. Decided to give PEC training a try. 
  26. Couldn't do it with an eyepiece.
  27. Tried with the camera in LV but noticed some gradual movement in the DEC axis.
  28. Hoped PEC training would sort this.   Moved onto the Spiral Galaxy
  29. Took some 2 minute exposures of the whirlpool galaxy.  Wireless timer worked flawlessly.
  30. Still a little faint so up'd the ISO and took some more.  More detail but more noise.
  31. Took some darks with the same settings.
  32. Packed away while the camera did its thing.
  33. Viewed the pics briefly on laptop. There was star trails (DEC axis again and blurring)
  34. Went to bed 1:30 am

Summary:

So what have I learned?  Well DEC error was probably due to the balance of the scope being off.  I never did re-balance for the camera. I've also learnt today that I should bias the balance slightly East so the gears engage better.

PEC training is a waste of time without an illuminated reticule which I don't have the desire to buy.   I'd rather save for a guide scope and guide camera.   I've learned I can refine the polar alignment after the 3 start alignment process. 

I've also read on forums that perhaps I should manually move the scope to the first alignment start then continue with the usual process. I've also seen that two star may be the way forward for EQ6.  So perhaps next time I'll start with a 2 star, polar align using the SynScan handset then back to 3 star with the first manual adjustment.

I should also purchase a few SD cards that are dedicated for Astrophotography and upload them ASAP after the session.

The Astronomik UHC Deep Sky Filter worked wonders with the images for where I live.  I can now take longer exposures.  Assuming I sort out DEC errors and invest in guiding rig. 

Edited by artoleus
mis-spelling
  • Like 3

Each session isl a learning experience I guess, even when you have been doing it for years :wink:

I think your actions list has re-confirmed to me (a) why I don't image and (b) that I much prefer unpowered alt-azimuth mounts for observing. Plonk it down, let it cool a bit and then enjoy the views :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, John said:

Each session isl a learning experience I guess, even when you have been doing it for years :wink:

I think your actions list has re-confirmed to me (a) why I don't image and (b) that I much prefer unpowered alt-azimuth mounts for observing. Plonk it down, let it cool a bit and then enjoy the views :icon_biggrin:

How  true how true !! I try to tell every newbie or someone that wants to just image the stars to take time , get a scope and sit back and look at what's out there . I can't think of anything more enjoyable than viewing the night life ;)  !

• Like 2

Perhaps in a few years I'll relax.  As it is, I'm awash with technical data, products and awe at what is being produced by amateurs out there.  I've always had a keen interest in physics and astronomy and it is those deep sky objects that fascinate me most.  I must admit I still enjoy those moments exploring with binoculars.  I'll also try to use my basic camera on a tripod to record the areas I'm looking at for comparing with the star charts later.  Then return to those areas with a telescope on a another night.   Perhaps I'll combine the two.  While the camera attached to the telescope snapping away, I'll lie back on the deck chair with a hot drink and plan my next shot with the binoculars and standard camera on a tripod.  Probably not practical for winter though :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Zermelo
      The focuser on my SkyWatcher 150i is a basic rack-and-pinion, unsurprising for the price point, but sometimes a bit of a pain to control finely enough. I’m not looking to spend any serious money upgrading it, but I did want to see what I could tweak.

The first thing I did was to slacken off (slightly) the screws holding the plate against the spindle, as the operation was very tight when new – that helped a bit (and I think that without doing this first, the “friction fit” approach described below wouldn’t have worked). I will eventually get around to taking it all off as per AstroBaby's tune-up.

Improving the fine control without a major change means doing something with the focusing knobs – they’re quite small, so the effective “gearing ratio” when you operate them is on the harsh side. Some folk have described fitting larger diameter replacements, either bought or made, and even using ones with a planetary-style mechanism to achieve a reduction in the ratio. I didn’t fancy this, as I couldn’t see how the existing knobs were attached to the spindle without trying to prise them apart (possibly terminally). The other option is to increase the effective diameter of the existing knobs, for which purpose a clothes peg is apparently quite popular, but I’ve also come across descriptions of chop sticks inserted into holes drilled at intervals into the circumference, and punctured lids from peanut butter jars.

I wanted something that was cheap, relatively tidy and non-destructive. The answer seemed to be some sort of thick sleeve that I could fit over the knob. It would need to be a tight fit so as not to slip in use, to be not so large as to foul against either the focuser tube or the main OTA, and to be thick enough that it didn’t flex sideways when grasped. I thought I might find some larger rubber washers that would do the job, but none were thick enough to be rigid in use. However, a bit of searching found these spacers that are apparently used in vehicle shock absorbers.

My calipers said the diameter of the focuser knobs was around 29.5mm, and the nearest spacers that were available had an internal hole 30mm and outside diameter 60mm. I ordered one that was 10mm thick, not quite as deep as the knobs, but which allowed a bit more space on the inside edge for free operation. I’d hoped the internal hole might be a but undersized when it arrived but it was spot on, so I wound five or six turns of masking tape around the knob first. To avoid taking the tape off when fitting the spacer, I positioned one side first and stretched it across the face as I pushed. When it’s flush with the knob’s outer face, it’s just clear of the focuser body and OTA. There might be enough room to stick some kind of friction surface around the outside to improve the grip, but I don’t think it’s going to be necessary.

I decided to do only the one knob, so I now have a very Noddy “dual speed” affair.  Because the clearances around the fitted spacer are quite tight, it’s worth checking the positioning of the spindle in the focuser body first – mine was fractionally off centre, so there was more room one side than the other (assuming you have no preference).

• By kevenh
      So the little circular bubble level is weak.
      But how to improve the levelling stage a head of the alignment stage?
      A traditional level like this one
      Or a simple multi purpose one like this one?
      And we do this on the tripod before adding the mount & OTA?
      The mount looks gently curved. How do we check that for level or do we trust the ‘fit’?
    • By Peggson
      I shot this yesterday from a Bortle 6 backyard. Edited in Pixinsight and Photoshop

If someone here knows how to remove purple stars, please  help me . I tried defringing but it didn't really work.
      Also the date is wrong should be 9.10.2020. lol
    • By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 120.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 180
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

• By BillKinn
      Hello everyone, I'm wondering if I could get some help, sort of ripping my hair out a little.
      I have the EXOS2 PMC-8 and last night I used Sharpcap to Polar align, I set the mount up as usual and adjusted until Sharpcap said excellent Polar alignment.
      So my next step was to do a 3 star alignment  I was using a program called Explorer Stars to achieve this, so when I asked the mount to slew to the first star it was way off even in the finder scope, is that normal? So I used the controls to get the star in my FOV and centred it, it was the same for the next two stars way off. so I did the same.
      I finished the 3 star alignment and when I asked the mount to find an object the object was not centred it was bottom right of the quick photo I took.
      I've made sure all the information is correct by setting my Longitude and Latitude and also made sure my time is correct, the mount is balanced and level and pointing North. I think I'm doing something wrong somewhere.
      Also may I ask should my counterweight bar be parallel with the mounts front leg? I have two little arrows on the mount that should be pointing at each other when in the home position but when they are the counterweight bar is pointing to the right quite a fair bit.
      I'm new to all this only been doing it for a few months so a lot of things are quite confusing.     
      Thanks in advance Bill. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.