Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FS128 set up and ready for Jupiter

F15Rules

After a very warm to hot day, the sky is a little hazy but, I hope steadier, this evening.

The scope is ready, with Vari Extender (Barlow) and Pentax XL 10.5 to give x158, which should be useable tonight.

We'll see..?

Dave

IMG_20170524_211853026.jpg

IMG_20170524_211843624.jpg

IMG_20170524_211834164.jpg

It is bit hazy now but when the moments of clarity occur the GRS  is dead sharp and the bands are showing masses of  detail. Tonight is the first chance to try the 24 Pans , and at 93x in the bino, they are superb.

Very jealous of you all. Was planning on a session tonight but had a nightmare journey home from my parents and only got home after ten.

Oh well, another night for the GRS...

Enjoy all!

arghhh would have set up but was doing final tweaks for tomorrow night waffle talk.

Might get the 102 on the case as it cools quicker than the C11 and forget trying to image it and try an eyethingy in the end :icon_eek:

46 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I have just set up my 10" dob to cool but the sky has some thin clouds, and it is 50/50 whether they are going to clear up.

Go for it Victor, thin hazy cloud often enhances Jovian views.:happy11:

Wowser!

This must be what the fuss is about..great view of GRS which is now fast heading for the limb. Real orangey red tint at x80, less so at higher powers.

Reverted from Barlow to native eyepieces, Pentax XL 10.5 for x104 and Tak LE 7.5 for x138. Still not worth going much above x150..best steadiness yet since I got the scope and in fleeting moments the planet is littered with detail. I could see several whitish ovals in the larger northern belt in these moments, with "jagged" edges toboth main belts and 3 lesser belts clearly seen as well.

I got my wife to come out for 15 minutes and she started to see more detail, even glimpsing the GRS at one point?!

A short but by far the best session with the FS128 so far, work means bed now but am a happy bunny..and earlier this evening I managed to buy back my beloved LVW 22mm!

Enjoy joy the rest of the session everyone?.

Dave

6 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Kind of disappointed with tonight. The red spot was not visible due to the conditions. The last weekend I was able to get the shadow of Io and Jupiter was a lot clearer.

It was the opposite for me Victor. But next time it will be your turn for a good sky?..

Dave

Some good detail with the FS 102 but clouds came over .

Also I got the bino viewer out and it must have got damp as the prisms don't look good - hope its a bit of damp and not mold

Managed about an hour or so on Jupiter last night. Out with the Takquisition in FC76 mode. I needed to fiddle with extension tubes to get eyepieces to reach focus - 1 inch focuser travel sheesh! :dontknow::icon_biggrin:

At least once sorted they all focus with the same arrangement.

Saw the GRS on the limb at one point - salmon/orange colour. 3 - 4 bands starting to see more details the more used to looking for it I get. Seeing was variable as always. Sometimes I think my eyes are the problem as things go a bit ... er watery? Then suddenly clearer and sharper. 

I was getting nice views at about 120x with the ES 82º 4.7 

Moved to the ES 68º 24 and scanned around enjoying non-specific stargazing. Very relaxing. Must sort out a chair!

Managed to clean the bino viewer up.

Just back from Long Eton school , after the waffle from me 2 of us stopped back and had a look through the 16" Meade at jupiter.

We used the setting circles to get us in the right area -the sun was still up at this stage we found once we sorted out the circles properly.

We tried 2 diagonals and a 40mm, 26mm and 12.5mm meade 5 eyepieces as the contrast improved we managed to see more and more detail and decided that a 26mm giving about 150 x was the best view.

Not long after we started we then could spot the searchlight without optical aid with coments of "how could we miss it " or words to that effect.

As the contrast improved we could see the 4 moons and southern polar region,S temperate belt (in and out as seeing varried) ,south eq belt with 2 ovals and we think we could see the split between north and sout components, N eq belt with a barge ?? and some of it extending into the N temp zone, n temp belt and the N polar region.

Only an hour or so with the pair of us swapping over but a good session at the eyepiece and concluded that the LE diagonal was in fact OK .

C11 is out cooling and bino viewer back together hop it has cooled enough.

tried binoviewrs in the C11 and they are still not performing

Views not as good as LE scope as its smaller and I think not at ambient temp . having saisd that some good views from time to time with 12.5mm & 18mm tak eyepieces

Could be some resonable ( for me ) images later

Archived