SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen HR 2.4mm

iPeace

28 minutes ago, Louis D said:

True.  For instance, I get so tired of folks saying it's a waste to have an exit pupil bigger than your dilated pupil.  If it's the only way to get to a widest field of view to encompass a large object, it's my right to waste photons to see it in such a manner.

Exactly right! As low as you like to frame the view you're after, and as high as you like if the seeing will permit. Similarly increasing magnification will not increase a scopes resolution but it will increase image scale, making it easier to see what the telescope is already showing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds super! 

If numbers don't mean much for you gentlemen, a great Vixen HR 1.6mm should be on the top of your purchase list then!  :thumbsup: 

Pentax XO-like performace, 10mm eye relief, excellent stray light control, and extremely limited light scatter.  

Please, feel free to get one.

While eagerly waiting for your meaningful purchase and following outstanding report, I'll retire myself for some more maths and reading, like an old (actually, rather young in here) school boy.  :happy1:

23 minutes ago, Piero said:

Sounds super! 

If numbers don't mean much for you gentlemen, a great Vixen HR 1.6mm should be on the top of your purchase list then!  :thumbsup: 

Pentax XO-like performace, 10mm eye relief, excellent stray light control, and extremely limited light scatter.  

Please, feel free to get one.

While eagerly waiting for your meaningful purchase and following outstanding report, I'll retire myself for some more maths and reading, like an old (actually, rather young in here) school boy.  :happy1:

I would love to try all three Vixen HR, to see if they work for my eyes in my particular scopes. But I have a feeling the image size would be there but the resolution would not be, due to the seeing conditions we usually get in the UK being the limiting factor in what magnification could be used.

Me , Mike and Doc did hint in the FLO sale that we would be interested in a set at £70  each, but at present the FLO offers do not seem to of stretched that far , I am not sure why ?

I have all three Vixen HR. Comparing the HR 2.4 to the HI-LE 2.8, I found the HR to show the same brightness, despite the 15% smaller exit pupil. They have an outstanding quality. However,  I don't use them often, because of their short focal length. Their best use is probably in a small F/4 Newton or astrograph on a tracking mount.

On 1/7/2018 at 19:20, mikeDnight said:

Exactly right! As low as you like to frame the view you're after, and as high as you like if the seeing will permit. Similarly increasing magnification will not increase a scopes resolution but it will increase image scale, making it easier to see what the telescope is already showing.

Depends on the scope... if the exit pupil gets too large with a scope with a central obstruction, the percentage size of the obstruction rockets up. No such worries with a refractor! After all, with an oversized exit pupil the scope will be showing you the most exit pupil you could ever hope to have for that particular view, and no other scope could give more.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Rob Laughton said:

Hi all,

I can confirm that the 3.4mm HR Eyepiece will be available in the UK sometime towards the end of April. Price wise, it will be the same as the existing HR series. SRP £259

Rob

Good news - thanks Rob

• 5 weeks later...

I have put the cash aside for the 3.4 ?  I cant wait to use the 2.4 and I will travel many miles to clear skies if need be .... 308 x for the TAK will not be an issue, even if it is occasional ?

25 minutes ago, Pig said:

I have put the cash aside for the 3.4 ?  I cant wait to use the 2.4 and I will travel many miles to clear skies if need be .... 308 x for the TAK will not be an issue, even if it is occasional ?

I think Shaun you may well be getting a full" HR " house by the end of the year. Still the 1.6 and 2mm to go ?

There is a little SGL party I understand coming up around October time. If you are there, maybe you would be kind enough to let us under achievers with mere SW Ed's have a peep through a Tak and HR ??

No weak links in your optical chain is there Shaun ?

14 hours ago, Timebandit said:

I think Shaun you may well be getting a full" HR " house by the end of the year. Still the 1.6 and 2mm to go ?

There is a little SGL party I understand coming up around October time. If you are there, maybe you would be kind enough to let us under achievers with mere SW Ed's have a peak through a Tak and HR ??

I am so tempted to get a 4mm  ish TOE if not jus to have a dedicated eyepiece for Jupiter and also to be able to say ✅ Tak Toe in a post ?

@Timebandit Simon I have booked the SGL event for October and you are more than welcome to look through any of my kit ? All are welcome to try the HR in their Scope if they wish, or TOE if I have one by then. ?

In my opinion the 2.4mm HR is also very effective on WL solar obs, even with the Baader Herschel Wedge which incorporates a solar continuum filter. 

The new 3.4mm will certainly make this eyepiece line more popular, although I still believe they should add a 5mm at least at some point. 

Well, we'll see. Maybe they will decide to close the gap between the 3.4mm and the new 100mm "Super Missile". :D 

Archived