SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Bedford

greeno76

Hi,

I've been 'lurking' for a couple of months now and I've been astonished by the depth & breadth of knowledge and good-will shared around this forum, so I thought I ought to introduce myself - if only by way of thanks to the many members that have unknowingly enhanced my knowledge and enjoyment of astronomy so far.

Despite my life-long interest in science and the universe, somehow in my 41 years of living memory I have never looked through a proper telescope. I can't quite understand how that happened so I'm making up for lost time in my back garden in Bedford (UK) with a 250px Dobsonian Skywatcher.

I've been trying to apply the knowledge and experience gathered on here and I've learning more about the stars and interesting celestial objects that have always been around me all along. It's more than a little bit mind-blowing that I can see far away galaxies from my back yard...

It's been an eye-opening and exhilarating journey so far and I'm justifying the limited budget of it all by making sure my very young children don't leave it as long as I did! Luckily the arrival of the massive box containing the telescope was welcomed (tolerated) by my wife since she fondly remembers owning a little telescope when she was little and has enjoyed our voyage discovery so far!

So, I'll stop waffling and simply offer my gratitude to the good people of Stargazers lounge! 

Best wishes,

Jason

Hi Jason. and welcome to the forum.

I am a Bedfordian, being born and having spent the first 59 years of my life there,before moving to the rural skies of Cambridgeshire, and a member of the Bedford Astronomical Society, at which you would be more than welcome.:happy11:

Many thanks for the warm welcome. I've just come in from the crisp but clear night! 

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

Hi Jason. and welcome to the forum.

I am a Bedfordian, being born and having spent the first 59 years of my life there,before moving to the rural skies of Cambridgeshire, and a member of the Bedford Astronomical Society, at which you would be more than welcome.:happy11:

Thank's I'd love to come along to the Beds Astro observing sessions. I've been following their recent activities on twitter.  I was under the impression that the observing sessions are mostly wound-up at this time of year? 

Cheers,

Jason.

Hi Jason,

That is the case, because of the lighter evenings, however Linton and Phil will often open up the Observatory, at all hours of the night , for different objects, so it is worth keeping in touch via twitter. We do of course have guest speakers on Wednesday evenings, and in fact we have one tomorrow night,  Dr Alex Calverley. :happy11:

Archived