Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which scope to replace 120ED

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stu said:

Having read Calvin's post, I suspect this is an attempt at humour......

Yes, a rather poor attempt at an April fool joke, i was not going to let it run for very long, due to having great concerns for your blood pressure  :grin:

I suspect Shawn had an idea i was on a windup.

Dont worry, i wont be selling the 120ED, it is a superb scope both optically and cosmetically, the more i use it the more it makes sense, i made a comment about it being over the top for my needs due to not seeing much in the way of DSO from home but i have come to realize the best thing to do is travel to a dark site for such observing, and for Luna its a pretty darn good scope

5 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Yes, a rather poor attempt at an April fool joke, i was not going to let it run for very long, due to having great concerns for your blood pressure  :grin:

Some things just aren't funny any more Jules!

1 minute ago, Pig said:

To be honest Jules I was going to make you an offer :happy8:

A couple of months ago i might have considered, but i am in a good place with the 120 now, i guess it took me a while to realize it was a very good purchase, it works extremely well on the Giro/CG5........i am so looking forward to the Usha gap star camp in a couple of weeks, this place has the best skies i have ever seen, (naked eye M31 showing a hint of structure) the 120 will blow me away up there if its clear

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Some things just aren't funny any more Jules!

Fear not, my days of "which or what scope" are behind me..............short of a large lotto win, then it would be what TAK :grin:

Just now, nightfisher said:

Fear not, my days of "which or what scope" are behind me..............short of a large lotto win, then it would be what TAK :grin:

.....and breathe.....

Thanks Jules :) 

My only issue now with this scope is do i clean the optics, the previous keeper never cleaned it as evident with dried dew marks present, i dont want to risk cleaning sleeks, so at present i feel i will come back to this at a time when its really needed, maybe a couple of years lol

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

As above, if i sell my 120ED which scope should i replace it with, mainly Luna imaging

Nice one Jules. You swept more than I thought up with that one. They must have been out late...

Chapeau...

22 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

My only issue now with this scope is do i clean the optics, the previous keeper never cleaned it as evident with dried dew marks present, i dont want to risk cleaning sleeks, so at present i feel i will come back to this at a time when its really needed, maybe a couple of years lol

Baader wonder fluid and Baader cloth Jules. If need be cut the cloth in half. After first blowing off the lens and picking off any dust etc with the tip of a cotton bud (use a light twisting or dabbing action as apposed to a dragging) throwing them away as you do and using fresh every time. NEVER wet a bud with cleaning fluid as they have glue as sorts on them but you can dab it on your tongue to give it a bit of grab for tricky particles. Have the baader cloths one as a 'dry' cloth ready and waiting and only spray the fluid on the other 'wet' cloth (not on lens) and no too much. Take your time and go lightly dragging the cloth and allowing  the cloth fluid to draw the stuck on grime from the lens. Each time you touch the lens use a fresh bit of the cloth. Do this for the whole lens. There will be streaks but don't worry as you are only removing the grime at this point to remove the risk of scratches. Once done and you are sure there is nothing on the lens then do the same again using even less fluid on the cloth. Each time you finish a stroke dry with the other cloth before the residue has time to dry itself. You should find you don't have any streaks although if you do just lightly breath on the streak allow to evaporate a little then wipe over. The trick is though to accept that a steak of baader wonder fluid is better for the lens (apparently creates a protective film of its own like polish on a car) than a swirl free optics that will get dusty again one day anyway.

Archived