Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar system discovered with 3 possible life supportable planets

Swoop1

It amazes me how making these announcements about other planets light years away from earth, are 
deemed possible life bearing worlds. Even for those deemed to be in the Goldilocks Zone, that just seems a bit presumptuous
to me. These planets are not even visible to the telescopes that seek them out.
This kind of assumption about life could  have a  worrying effect on some  older  folks, who know little if anything about
science, the Universe and little else of a technical nature. Perhaps the Astronomers should keep tight lipped until
until at least some facts emerge, and not speculation. Even radio contact is not feasibly  doable, assuming 
they are dreaming intelligent life forms inhabiting these far off, nay, very very far off worlds.
We are never physically going to travel to any of them, at least not in two or three generations of would be travellers :biggrin:.
I suppose it's a topic for some discussion, either for or against the release of information that is not going to be fully verified
for a long time, one way or another.

32 minutes ago, barkis said:

It amazes me how making these announcements about other planets light years away from earth, are 
deemed possible life bearing worlds. Even for those deemed to be in the Goldilocks Zone, that just seems a bit presumptuous
to me. These planets are not even visible to the telescopes that seek them out.
This kind of assumption about life could  have a  worrying effect on some  older  folks, who know little if anything about
science, the Universe and little else of a technical nature. Perhaps the Astronomers should keep tight lipped until
until at least some facts emerge, and not speculation. Even radio contact is not feasibly  doable, assuming 
they are dreaming intelligent life forms inhabiting these far off, nay, very very far off worlds.
We are never physically going to travel to any of them, at least not in two or three generations of would be travellers :biggrin:.
I suppose it's a topic for some discussion, either for or against the release of information that is not going to be fully verified
for a long time, one way or another.

I think 'possible' is the key word to take note of here.

10 hours ago, barkis said:

... could  have a  worrying effect on some  older  folks, who know little if anything about
science, the Universe and little else of a technical nature.

Hmmm, barkis. I'm pretty sure that sentence would be more acceptable without the word 'older' !

??

We have a bit of interest in my family when it comes to Exoplanets - My undergrad project was based around photometric detection of Exoplanets and variable star, and my wife did her Masters on habitable zones around K & M type stars.. so we're both watching with interest on this one :)

Bit of a blessing that this is a transit detection as it means they can probably examine the spectroscopic absorption lines of the planets atmospheres as they pass in front of the parent star. Any detection of methane or water could be quite profound! 39 Ly is too far to visit but the above detection could change opinion on the likely hood of life elsewhere in the Universe.

I would love to look at TRAPPIST-1 through a scope and ponder these planets, but not much chance at Mag 18.8. Might be able to image it though...wheres Aquarius at the moment? lol    

18 minutes ago, Skyline said:

They must of known about these planets a long time ago...

They knew Trappist-1 had 2 or 3 planets back in 2015, but it was only when they turned the Spitzer space telescope on the star the rest of 'Earth like?' planets were discovered. 

I do find this amazing news.  OK the planets identified may not have life but their discovery surely increases the potential number of EXOplanets, and earth sized planets in goldilocks zones.

Back just 2 months ago I did a poll here asking if it was thought that life would either be created from scratch in a lab or found out in the universe.  In those 2 months not only has the potential number of exoplanets increased but news has arrived from Ceres regarding the ingredients for life being naturally found there.  Plus other successes regarding technology funding and advancement that will increase our ability to explore.

It will be interesting if we repeat the poll in just one years time.   The odds of life being out there certainly seem to be increasing along with our ability to find evidence (not 100% proof - I'm thinking oxygen atmosphere) for it.

Great times for space enthusiasts and I certainly find the possibility of life being out there adds to my telescope experience :happy11:

On 22/02/2017 at 23:02, barkis said:

until at least some facts emerge, and not speculation. 

I think you will find "older folks" have more experiences to draw upon, and will see this for what it is.

Youngsters are more prone to exaggeration and fretting, see facebook/twitter for numerous examples.

Simply discovering Exo. Planets, even those presumed to be in the So called Goldilocks Zone, is far from
any guarantee of intelligent life. I mention Intelligent life, because I think many are  already making assumptions
that these bodies probably harbour life forms of some description, and maybe Intelligent life too.
If we make a comparison with the Martian Rovers and Laboratories searching for evidence of a long dead form of life on the planet.
Nothing has emerged other than the fact that water may exist. That had confidently been predicted  long before any probes 
trawled around the place. We are no nearer any evidence of life in any form existing there at any time in the past.
Perhaps more research is needed there.  I think radio wave detection might be the biggest clue as to any Milky Way Galactic intelligence
 in existence, after all, Radio transmissions from earth must have reached out over 100 light years since we invented radio.
We ought to have detected them coming in too, if they exist, yet we have heard nothing as yet.

Do I think life exists elsewhere in the vast Cosmos ? I'd be foolish to say No. However, I'm not sure we can expect results from 
miniscule sample of planets discovered so far. It is no surprise that these systems are waiting to be discovered, we lack only the means to uncloak them at present.
 If there is Intelligent Life out there, it might be decades or even longer before it is revealed.

I think we need to improve our understanding of life and how to detect its fingerprints, we have 3 planets in our solar system in or around the Goldilocks zone (4 if you count the moon) and many other outer system objects like Pluto and other moons that may have liquid water and a supply of energy but we have found nothing yet.

Alan

5 minutes ago, barkis said:

Simply discovering Exo. Planets, even those presumed to be in the So called Goldilocks Zone, is far from
any guarantee of intelligent life.............

Do I think life exists elsewhere in the vast Cosmos ? I'd be foolish to say No. However, I'm not sure we can expect results from 
miniscule sample of planets discovered so far. It is no surprise that these systems are waiting to be discovered, we lack only the means to uncloak them at present.
 If there is Intelligent Life out there, it might be decades or even longer before it is revealed.

Barkis for me us discovering intelligent life is statistically very unlikely even if the universe is teeming with life.  On this planet life has been around for about 3.8 billion years and had what may loosely call an intelligent form for just a few centuries if that.  And only 10s of years with the ability to transmit and receive signals from afar.  And as it seems keen to kill itself off in the next 200 years (which who knows may be a common trait of intelligent life development) then two intelligent life forms overlapping on the time line and near enough together is almost nil.   

And who knows how lucky we have been avoiding natural disasters?  Perhaps most planets with life don't make it this far.  

But for me just discovering we are not unique and that very basic life forms do exist; and given the sort of luck we have had in 3.8 billion years they could develop, would be enough.

I remember being a supporter of the little grey men when young but then I developed my thinking, well I think I did :icon_biggrin:

In my mind, finding evidence of life out there realistically means microbes or the like, although I'm sure intelligent life exists/existed out there somewhere at some time... the Universe is big and old enough! 

I think we've discovered hundreds of exoplanets now and it appears that planets around stars are more common than once thought...it all adds to the probability of life out there, if you use the Drake equation for example.

As one of the 'older folks' I find this thread is having a 'worrying effect' - and this has nothing nothing to do with NASA's report which, as ever, was just about the facts.

2 hours ago, barkis said:

... because I think many are already making assumptions thatt these bodies probably harbour life forms of some description, and maybe Intelligent life....

Upon what do you base this hypothesis?

I mean no offence to you but I take issue with how loose you are being with your assumptions. As I implied before, 'older folks', per se, are no more likely to 'know little if anything about science, the Universe and little else of a technical nature' than 'younger' folks. 

Do you want to try repeating your outrageous presumptions to Stephen Hawking, to name but one? He has proselytised at some length on the possibility, or otherwise, of intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe. And he ain't no chicken.

Einstein said that he could see farther than others only because he stood on the shoulders of giants. Were those giants youngsters?! Were they of a lesser ability to discern the difference between an amoeba and a super brain? Of course not. And while I would hesitate to get into any discussion about what 'the majority' might think, I'm sure you'd do yourself a favour by not being so almighty sure about what other people think when you lay forth.

Peace and respect, brother.

I'm not sure I care for your attitude Floater, I have a right to an opinion on this matter, just as everyone else has theirs. I am not forcing it on anyone, just read it and dismiss it if you so wish, but don't be so rude about it.        And, I am not your Brother either. 

OK.

First, and most importantly, 'I mean no offence to you' was in my post. I repeat that sentiment.

Second, your opinion is welcome and I have no problem with it. In fact, I'm with you, not agin' you, in your take on where we are in our 'search' for extraterrestrial life/intelligence.

As for being 'rude', that was not my intention and I'm sorry if my language was too robust. Please believe me when I tell you that I tried to go some way not to be offensive. (See above.)

My issue is with the casual elitism you display. You throw in words like 'older folks' and 'many are making assumptions'. These statements grate on me. It comes across as if you think you're sitting above it/us all. I hope that is inadvertent on your part but I make no apology for pointing it out.

As for 'brother', it was meant as a peace gesture. Sorry you didn't take it that way.

However, in the interest of not boring the pants off everybody else in open forum, I intend to leave it there.

If you want to PM me and continue discussion, please do.

Liquid water or ice found on any planet anywhere in the universe simply does not equate to life existing (or potentially forming) there in any way,shape or form. 

If (as stated above) we detected radio waves from anywhere, that would be the discovery of all time. 

We Humans only look for liquid water or ice elsewhere simply because its all we know as being an essential part of how life evolved here on Earth and sustains life. That doesnt say it has to be the same elsewhere.

Us Humans probably would not recognise any life form found elsewhere, if it walked up to us and slapped us in the face.

We are only searching for "life" which fits in with what we know created life here on this very insignificant small rock which orbits a very insignificant star.

Having said all of this.............

The fact that we Humans (and all the other life on Earth) are the only life in the universe (as far as we know,so far), makes us very significant.........but only in our own minds because there is so far no other life outside of our planet to say otherwise.

There is no need to divert to any private conversation over this. 
I like to engage in topics of this sort, I say what I think, and if it is wrong
I am happy to be corrected, but in a polite way. 
Everyone has a right to their input, but no one has the right to ridicule what they say.

17 minutes ago, barkis said:

There is no need to divert to any private conversation over this. 
I like to engage in topics of this sort, I say what I think, and if it is wrong
I am happy to be corrected, but in a polite way. 
Everyone has a right to their input, but no one has the right to ridicule what they say.

We all have opinions and are entitled to them (rightly so). There is no right nor wrong on this, simply because we dont know.

*remembering* a great quote from the tv show The Big Bang Theory:

"That's what i love about science......there is no one right answer".

facepalm.jpg

Just been reading this First evidence of life on earth 'found'

Found it interesting as if we want to find very basic first stage life 'out there' it seems clear we need to know what we are looking for.  And from this article one can see that is not so straightforward.  

But again more advances are being made across the board and that bodes well for exciting scientific revelations ahead and not in the very distant future.

What of course would be really great is if they found forms of life that started and terminated totally independent of our ancestral tree.  Now that would really increase the odds :hello:

Archived