NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Massive star in the WNW direction?

BeerMe

4 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

I would say this is Venus....and not a star.

I think you're right Paul.  Silly me, I thought it would set further SW.  It's difficult getting my bearings from my home as it sits at a weird angle.  Still, I should have known better ?

3 hours ago, BeerMe said:

WNW direction?

my Planisphere, it looks like it's in the direction of Vega?

I thought it would set further SW.  It's difficult getting my bearings from my home as it sits at a weird angle.  

For your future bearings : Venus should have been about due West when you saw it setting and Vega due North. ( assuming I have not messed up my Stellarium :) , someone will correct me if I have ! )

Yes, Venus can be quite a surprise when it springs out at you,, :)

You are all too kind - I really should have realised :icon_biggrin:

In my defence, we are pretty much surrounded by buildings so it's difficult to get your bearings, and I've never seen it so bright and massive before.  I've actually thought we were at a 45° angle but as it turns out thanks to Venus, my front window sits almost due West!

Thanks for all your comments folks, and for not ripping me haha.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:59, Dave In Vermont said:

Venus is at about it's brightest right now. As well as elongation from the Sun:

Screenshot (180).png

Local police, etc. always get calls during this phase of Venus - reporting everything from burning aircraft to alien-invasions!

Your in good company! :D

Dave

On the subject there was a fantastically bright and long lasting meteor break up over our local skies a couple of years ago. Police received no less than a dozen calls reporting an aircraft breaking up! I can't really blame them, I've seen some fantastic, long lasting meteors and for the first couple of seconds they can be quite alarming.

On 11/02/2017 at 00:30, SilverAstro said:

Yes, Venus can be quite a surprise when it springs out at you,, :)

It certainly can. I've had about a dozen messages from friends and family who know I'm partial to the dark arts asking me what it is in the last 3 weeks. And I love how even through all but the very grimmest of clouds you can still see it shining in varying degrees. There's only been a few nights when it's been fully overcast or angry rainclouds that I've not spotted it.

Many have been there before..... !

Problems with Venus seem to have developed along with urbanisation; have a look at this text (from Garrett Putman Serviss: "Astronomy with an Opera-Glass"; New York, 1890; the whole book is still an enjoyable read; link below)

"A singular proof of popular ignorance of the starry heavens, as well as of popular curiosity concerning any uncommon celestial phenomenon, is furnished by the curious notions prevailing about the planet Venus. When Venus began to attract general attention in the western sky in the early evenings of the spring of 1887, speculation quickly became rife about it, particularly on the great Brooklyn Bridge. As the planet hung dazzlingly bright over the New Jersey horizon, some people appeared to think it was the light of Liberty's torch, mistaking the bronze goddess's real flambeau for a part of the electric-light system of the metropolis. Finally (to judge from the letters written to the newspapers, and the questions asked of individuals supposed to know something about the secrets of the sky), the conviction seems to have become pretty widely distributed that the strange light in the west was no less than an electrically illuminated balloon, nightly sent skyward by Mr. Edison, for no other conceivable reason than a wizardly desire to mystify his fellow-men. I have positive information that this ridiculous notion has been actually entertained by more than one person of intelligence. And as Venus glowed with increasing splendor in the serene evenings of June, she continued to be mistaken for some petty artificial light instead of the magnificent world that she was, sparkling out there in the sunshine like a globe of burnished silver. Yet Venus as an evening star is not so rare a phenomenon that people of intelligence should be surprised at it. Once in every 584 days she reappears at the same place in the sunset sky—

"Gem of the crimson-colored even,
Companion of retiring day." "

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/36741/36741-h/36741-h.htm

So you are not alone...

Stephan

On 12/02/2017 at 08:57, BeerMe said:

You are all too kind - I really should have realised :icon_biggrin:

In my defence, we are pretty much surrounded by buildings so it's difficult to get your bearings, and I've never seen it so bright and massive before.  I've actually thought we were at a 45° angle but as it turns out thanks to Venus, my front window sits almost due West!

Thanks for all your comments folks, and for not ripping me haha.

Given that you're in Coatbridge, Paul, are you sure it wasn't a Police helicopter looking for stolen cars? :lol:

{you asked for that one :evil: }

1 hour ago, DRT said:

Given that you're in Coatbridge, Paul, are you sure it wasn't a Police helicopter looking for stolen cars? :lol:

{you asked for that one :evil: }

My wife, as the Coatbrigger amongst the 2 of us, may take umbrage at that comment.  As a Glaswegian though, I concur wholeheartedly :icon_biggrin:

9 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Garrett Putman Serviss: "Astronomy with an Opera-Glass"... 'Venus as an evening star is not so rare a phenomenon that people of intelligence should be surprised at it. Once in every 584 days she reappears at the same place in the sunset sky'—

That's a bit misleading; only once every 8 years does Venus appear at the same place in the sunset sky. The 584-day cycle is merely the difference between successive elongations, some of which are more favourable than others.

32 minutes ago, goodricke1 said:

That's a bit misleading; only once every 8 years does Venus appear at the same place in the sunset sky. The 584-day cycle is merely the difference between successive elongations, some of which are more favourable than others.

I've only been really in to it for ~400 days, so maybe I can be excused from his withering assessment...

Then again, I can't help thinking I really should have known.  I actually thought I was viewing something 'cosmic' [read in a Rodney Trotter accent] ?

23 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Many have been there before..... !

the conviction seems to have become pretty widely distributed that the strange light in the west was no less than an electrically illuminated balloon, nightly sent skyward by Mr. Edison,

So even in the 1880s they had ufos, but not UFOs till the 1950s :) iyswim

Archived