Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

7 posts in this topic

Thanks for this, I generally follow this workflow in Startools but there are some tweaks in there that I will try out.

1 person likes this

I'm a big startools fan but I still got some new ideas from reading that.  Thanks for posting!

1 person likes this

Thanks for the info. Knew nothing about binning and this has really speed up processing for me. Really has pushed me in the right direction.

1 person likes this

Thanks for that link. :thumbsup:

was just looking at startools and wondering what would be involved

I like Guy's single function explanations in the startools forum goes that little bit deeper. The more I use it the easier I understand it.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mike005
      NGC 2014 in Large Magellanic Cloud ( LMC ) by Mike O'Day ( 500px.com/MikeODay ).
      This image shows multiple bright nebula and star clusters in an area adjacent to the The Tarantula Nebula ( NGC 2070 ) in the nearby irregular galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud ( LMC ). The largest of these are the bright pink nebula in the mid-right part of the image ( NGC 2014 ) and the blue nebula in the lower middle ( NGC 2030 ).

( click on image to see larger and clearer ( grrr... image compression in version above  ))
      ----------
      This is the first image captured as part of a new image capture and processing workflow I am trying out...
      Roger Clark ( http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/index.html ) has a number of articles addressing colour processing and the performance of modern DSLR sensors.  The "take homes" for me have been:
      1. With a modern sensor ( one with on-sensor dark current suppression technology ) one may not need to capture dark frames ( in order to remove the now non-significant pattern noise ).
      2. "Correct" white balance processing should start by using "daylight" RBG channel multipliers ( to get the star colour 'right') and any histogram adjustment to improve white balance of darker parts of the image should involve aligning the left side of histogram curves ( ie. not the peaks )
      So, the workflow to produce the image above involves calibraiton with Superbias & Master Flat but no dark frame subtraction (neither post nor in-camera).  Roger Clark speaks of using a "bad pixel map" as the basis of reducing hot pixels.  I have not figured out how to produce one yet.  However, with a little bit of dithering during guiding ( and the very busy image ) the hot pixels that are in the image below are not too overwhelming.
      With regard to colour balance; I tried using the "daylight" factors reported by the camera but these resulted in an image and stars that were quite blue.  This image was based on the factors reported by DXOMark for the Nikon D5300 ( R x 2.12, G x 1, B x 1.49 ( D50 standard )).  This was better but I still felt the need for a final tweak in Photoshop ( colourBalance Highlights +15 Cyan/Red, -5 Magenta/Green ) to improve the colour in the stars and mid-tones.
      { DXOMark "white balance scales" for D5300 found at: https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D5300---Measurements on the "color response" tab }
      ---------
      Details:
      Bright Nebulae:
      NGC 2014 ( upper right, pink) size 30 x 20 arcmin Mag +8
      NGC 2020 size 2.0 arcmin .NGC 2030 ( lower right, blue )
      NGC 2032 
      NGC 2035 size 3.0 x 3.0 arcmin 
      NGC 2040 size 3.0 x 3.0 arcmin 
      Open clusters:
      NGC 2004 size 2.7 arcmin Mag +9.6
      NGC 2011 size 1 arcmin Mag +10.6
      NGC 2021 size 0.9 arcmin Mag +12.1
      Image centre RA 05h 33m 32.362s, Dec -67° 32' 18.145" (nova.astrometry.net) 
      Orientation: up is west, right is South 
      Field of view (arcmin): 58.8 x 39.2
      Scale (full size image) 0.585 arcsec/pixel
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 120mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera: Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Format: 14bit NEF
      Noise reduction: off
      Filter: none
      HDR combination of seven sets of exposures (20 & 22 Feb 2017):
      58 x 240 sec ISO 800
      8 x 120 sec ISO 800
      8 x 60 sec ISO 800
      8 x 30 sec ISO 800
      8 x 14 sec ISO 800
      8 x 7 sec ISO 800
      8 x 3 sec ISO 800
      Pixinsight: 26 Feb 2017
      Links:
      500px.com/MikeODay
      photo.net/photos/MikeODay
    • By mike005
      ( click tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      This image shows multiple bright nebula and star clusters in an area adjacent to the the Tarantula Nebula ( NGC 2070 ) in the nearby irregular galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud ( LMC ).  The largest of these are the bright pink nebula in the upper right part of the image ( NGC 2014 ) and the blue nebula in the lower right ( NGC 2030 ).
      Details:
      Bright Nebulae:
      NGC 2014    ( upper right, pink) size 30 x 20 arcmin   Mag +8.
      NGC 2020    size 2.0 arcmin   
      NGC 2030    ( lower right, blue ).
      NGC 2032   .
      NGC 2035   size 3.0 x 3.0   arcmin   
      NGC 2040   size 3.0 x 3.0   arcmin   
      Open clusters:
      NGC 2002   size 2    arcmin   Mag +10.1
      NGC 2004   size 2.7 arcmin   Mag +9.6
      NGC 2006   size 1    arcmin   Mag +11.5
      NGC 2011   size 1    arcmin   Mag +10.6
      NGC 2021   size 0.9    arcmin   Mag +12.1
      NGC 2027   size 0.7    arcmin   Mag +11.9
      NGC 2034   
      NGC 2041   size 0.7    arcmin   Mag +10.4
      Image centre  RA 05h 33m 25.583s, Dec -67° 18' 02.586"  (nova.astrometry.net) 
      Field of view (arcmin): 58.8 x 39.2
      Scale (full size image) 0.585 arcsec/pixel
      Telescope:  Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 )
      Corrector:  ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410 mm f4.7
      Mount:        Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT
      Guiding:      TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2
      Camera:     Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Filter:          none
      HDR combination of four sets of exposures:
      9 x 300 sec ISO 200
      4 x 120 sec ISO 200
      4 x 120 sec ISO 100
      4 x 60   sec ISO 100
      Pixinsight & Photoshop
      29 January 2017
      link: 500px.com/MikeODay
    • By The-MathMog
      Hey guys. I acquired my first telescope a bit over a month ago, as I've been wanted to own one for a long time now. I've always had a passion for astronomy. So I bought a Celestron Nexstar 130 Slt, which for me seems like a great start, without spending a ton of money. Observing has been great so far at least (a bit of trouble with aligning it, but that is more out of inexperience it seems so far).
      I quickly found out that I wanted to try taking some simple photos through it, and got an adapter for an DSLR, which I've been testing out a few nights (still knowing that my mount isn't the most suitable for longer exposures).
      After some planetary shots, that seemed decent, I tried aiming it at both the Andromeda galaxy and the Pleiades, and the stars have this weird shape, which doesn't seem to be caused by tracking issues (the image being a 20 second exposure.
      It might be a stupid question, but is this an issue with the collimation of the telescope, or is there something else lying behind this effect? It was also quite cold that night, around -4 C, which caused a bit of ice to form on it, hence making me not sure. The attached image shows what I'm talking about, and don't mind the poorly framed Andromeda

Google didn't give me the answers I was looking for, so hopefully you fine people can help a new aspiring "astronomer".

**EDIT** Oh, and it should be in focus too, as I used my homemade bahtinov mask.. But again here the keyword is "Should"

• By mike005
      Tarantula Nebula ( NGC 2070 ) in the Large Magellanic Cloud ( LMC )
      Re-processed to tweak colour balance and bring out a little more faint detail:
      New version:

Original:

( click/tap on image to see full size - the above compressed version looks a little soft; the full size version is sharper )
      The Tarantula Nebula ( NGC 2070 ) is the largest and brightest emission nebula in the nearby irregular galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud ( LMC ). At a distance of 160,000 light years away from us, the Tarantula Nebula is so bright that it would cast shadows on the Earth if were as close to us as the Orion Nebula in our galaxy.
      First image with new telescope and autoguider/setup.
      Links:
      500px.com/MikeODay
      photo.net/photos/MikeODay
      Details:
      Nebulae:
      NGC 2070 Tarantula Nebula
      NGC 2048
      NGC 2060
      NGC 2077.
      Open clusters:
      NGC 2042
      NGC 2044
      NGC 2050
      NGC 2055
      NGC 2091
      NGC 2093
      NGC 2100 
      Image centre RA 5h 38m 57.3s, Dec -69deg 20' 36.6" (nova.astrometry.net) 
      Field of view (arcmin): 58.7 x 39.2
      Scale (full size image) 0.585 arcsec/pixel.
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, FL1200mm, f4 )
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture ): 1410mm f4.7.
      Mount: Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera: Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Filter: none
      Exposures:
      14 x 240 sec ISO400
      12 x 120 sec ISO400
      10 x 60 sec ISO400
      11 x 60 sec ISO200
      10 x 60 sec ISO100
      10 x 30 sec ISO100
      Pixinsight & Photoshop
      20 December 2016
    • By Grace1
      So I have recently just gotten the Saxon 200mm reflecting telescope, and with it I received an erecting eyepeice to view terestial objects. Problem is, people are saying to insert into threads and I've tried to do that but it doesn't fit? How do I correctly place the erecting eyepiece onto the telescope? Please help!
      Images of regular eyepeice for space objects (28mm) and other parts included to help.