Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 Help

Hi,

I have been taking an image of the Orion Nebula with my unmodded EOS1000d, and the results I'm getting are looking good. However, although I can continue to add more exposure to the shot, (my polar alignment is getting better every time, still getting used to new EQ5 ;) ) I wont be able to get any exotic wavelengths to increase the detail and bring out the best of the nebula. I wondered if anyone would be able to help a newbie out with some data so I can add that? I will be putting a stamp with my name and any donor's name onto the completed shot. please PM me if you can help. :) 

This is the FOV I'm getting atm. You can see how there seems to be a lack of sharpness all over the shot, and I'm guessing that's because I'm only using visible light. (The colour balance will be sorted out later on, when I have more data.)

Processed.jpg

John

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's a lovely image mate, I'm A great fan of unmodded camera shots, heres one I got last December with my 1200d and firstlight with a c6-n, its far from perfect, its only 22x 45 sec shots at iso 1600. I too are waiting to catch more data.  charl.

4 n-he Great orion neb 7-1-16.png

The Roger N. Clark pictures linked above are taken with the Canon EOS 7D Mark II, along with the 6D thought to be a bit more sensitive and less noise than the sort of Canon I can afford, nothing remarkable about exposure times,  nice pictures, great presentation.

CC ? thought you were suggesting photoshop charl, looking out the window in oxford cannot understand how you are taking solar, sunshine ! yes please.

2 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I have been taking an image of the Orion Nebula with my unmodded EOS1000d, and the results I'm getting are looking good. However, although I can continue to add more exposure to the shot, (my polar alignment is getting better every time, still getting used to new EQ5 ;) ) I wont be able to get any exotic wavelengths to increase the detail and bring out the best of the nebula. I wondered if anyone would be able to help a newbie out with some data so I can add that? I will be putting a stamp with my name and any donor's name onto the completed shot. please PM me if you can help. :) 

Hi John

I think it's always good to try processing someone else's data to hone your processing skills, which can then be applied back to your own data. However, I'd caution trying to blend two different sources of data if you feel your own data isn't quite there yet. I'd recommend working more on your own data - improved collection, selection and processing - which I know can be frustrating with the infrequent clear nights we get, but ultimately more fulfilling knowing it's your own.

I can also recommend releasing your own stacked but unprocessed image to the community to see what they can pull out of the data. You'd be surprised how much can be done with the same data using different software and different processing techniques. It's a great way to learn.

From a quick look over your own image and I think there is more you can do:

Collection: some of your stars are showing elongation. Is this visible in every sub or just some of them?

Selection: visually inspect each sub and make sure you only integrate the best. Don't rely on automated selections such as best 80%, as this can include poor shots or exclude good ones. I think it's better to view each sub and decide which to include in the integration.

Processing: you don't give much detail about the image such as whether you've used flats, etc during calibration. It looks like you have had to fight with a strong gradient. Removing this will be key to your success. Once removed (without removing real signal - something very difficult in this area of sky as the main nebula is surrounded by fainter dust), this should help the colour balance too. Getting that calibrated correctly will also make a big difference to your image. Also, getting that first stretch of the data right can be tricky, especially if you lack sufficient data. You'll be finding a fine balance between teasing out the faintest details without bringing out the noise.

It took me a very long time to improve my images and be happy with them. From this:

image.jpeg

to this:

large.58429617f0736_M042_20161202_v215cmx15cm.jpg

And I know there is still more I can do in terms collecting more and better quality data, being more selective in the subs I use, and improving my processing. But I've enjoyed the learning process!

John

I don't know whether this would help you at all. But to evaluate PixInsight and whether the wife and I wish to move into the AP world I've been playing with free to download data from Kayron Mercieca's Light Vortex site. There's stacks of options available and a significant amount of data for M42...

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/sample-image-data.html

Might help...

Simon

2 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Can't help you with data in afraid-I've not taken my first image yet!

I have been doing extensive reading though and this site is very interesting. Shows what can be done with a non-modded camera...

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/do_you_need_a_modified_camera_for_astrophotography/

I've heard several warnings against that site such as this one.

Beat me to it, debunking that website.

At this stage, where I am too, nothing beats practice and more data. Even without the extra wavelengths improvements can be made. Focus, data, calibration frames, variety exposure lengths, processing, layering. 

Enjoy the learning climb.

Just now, JohnSadlerAstro said:

WOW!!!! what length of subs, ISO, and scope/lens?

John

It was a stack of 20 x 20sec, 20x60sec and 15x120 sec shots  all at ISO 800 stacked in DSS  no darks, flats or bias.   Processed in PixInsight and PS.

The scope was my 100ED.

Archived